Based on Click to view
Artist Weeping_Angel }Y{ [gallery]
Time spent 3 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
8 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Primal Simas #12 & #13 || The Hawks

Postby Weeping_Angel }Y{ » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:50 am

About Primals;;
Primals are the original species of the felidus genus. These ancestors possessed three jewels and relied
more on their strength rather than the magic within their jewels. Their bodies were more than double the size of their
modern cousins, with muscle to take down prey larger than themselves.

Despite the misconception that they were lawless beasts, they had a rigid hierarchy similar to their descendants.
They lived in small tribes ruled by an Alpha- who possessed a specialized jewel and scars that demanded respect.

Cubs born with the Alpha jewel were automatically considered to be heirs to the throne of their tribe, although they
still must prove themselves to their brethren as the rightful leader.

In early Spring, Primal tribes were discovered in few remaining numbers carrying out their seasonal migration in order to
evade the yearly freeze of their homeland.

#12 || Red-Tailed Hawk wrote:Edits;; Primal Gene
Jewel Rank;; Novice
Power;; Fire
#13 || Sharp-Shinned Hawk wrote:Edits;; Primal Gene
Jewel Rank;; Novice
Power;; Water

These two simas are a set of twins that got separated from their family during the migration!

This is a partner competition.

To win these simas, you need to find them new parents to take care of them (they do not have to be primals), and tell me how exactly they got lost.

End Date;; May 8th, 2020

Only one partner has to post the form!

Code: Select all
Usernames:
12's Name & Gender:
13's Name & Gender:
Parents:
How did they get lost?:
---
woof
birb
---
Art by
Ember the Wolf
characters
dA
---
babusagi
simas
---

The Pumpkin Queen | ∑a∂ µa††er | DolphinGirl4Ever
Weeping_Angel }Y{

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Primal Simas #12 & #13 || The Hawks

Postby rem sleep » Sun May 03, 2020 7:04 am

Usernames: rem sleep [#12] + FluffytheUnicorn [#13]
      note, parts written in orange are written by rem, parts in blue are written by fluffy
      12's Name & Gender: Sahale [ ♂ ] - meaning 'falcon'
      13's Name & Gender: Liluye [ ♀️] - meaning 'chicken hawk singing while soaring'

Parents: Ankh is the kits' primary caretaker, but Keir, who is Ankh's roommate, also helps out with the kids. Ankh was trapped in a pyramid for hundreds of years, somehow surviving until the modern day when the tomb of the old pharaoh was unearthed by modern explorers. Ankh also had to adjust to the technology of modern society, which makes him a great parent to these two lost kits. He was taught by Keir, his roommate, about technology and the modern workings of society, and Ankh can explain things in a way that would be helpful to two kits in a similar trapped-in-the-past situation to him. Ankh is quiet, but physically strong and plenty able to protect even larger-than-average primal kits. Keir is great with kits, he's always loved them-- probably because he never lost that childish nature himself! Keir is a professional gamer, and he's an excitable, energetic personality who loves meeting new people and doing new things. He'd be excited by the notion of showing two kits the world!

How did they get lost?: "Well..." Sahale hummed a soft note to himself, "I suppose it would be good to talk about..." He looked over nervously at Ankh and Keir, who had taken a seat on the couch to listen. They'd been inquiring about the story for a couple weeks now, off and on dropping hints that they wanted to hear, but never pressing the kits on the matter if they didn't want to talk. Sahale looked over to his sister, Liluye, hiding a bit behind him on their couch seat. "In case you're worried about finding our real parents," Sahale spoke again, his voice soft and even- almost like he'd been practicing this speech to give to them for those couple weeks, but had until now been too nervous to follow through with it, "You don't need to worry. They passed away before we got lost in the migration." Liluye shifted a bit nervously, Ankh and Keir looked tense but didn't speak, allowing Sahale to proceed uninterrupted.

"Well... It wasn't our first migration, but it was the first since our parents passed," Sahale began, "We'd began apprentice work under the medicine primal of our clan after their passing. She was more of a parent to us then... she probably knew that's what we needed. She took us in and mothered us, teaching us about medicinal herbs and the like. When we were to migrate, we followed her. However... she was busy on the route, and she couldn't always pay close attention to us. We strayed from the group a bit here or there because we saw fun things, but she'd reign us back in. There was... only one time she couldn't get us back on track. When Liluye saw that other primal..."

"I-I.... I.. I'm sorry.." Liluyu blurted out. "I... I... well... t-that..." Liluye tried to explain. Liluye jumped off of the couch and ran behind it before continuing what she had to say. "The primal looked like d-daddy. I thought.. I thought maybe his ghost came to see us like how the elders always say... our loved ones are always near by watching us... and so I thought if I could just catch him he'd be happy to see us... but... it wasn't daddy... It was a primal from a whole another tribe! he looked really angry at me when I finally caught up to him... and he shooed me... away.." Liluye paused before breaking down in tears. "I'm.. I'm sorry, its all my fault, its my fault we lost our tribe..."

The would-be parents moved to comfort Liluye, but Sahale raised a hand to stop them and went behind the couch himself, gently holding her in his arms and patting her back, speaking to her in a soft, quiet voice- a technique learned from the medicine primal who'd been there for them in the past, "It's okay Liluye, you didn't know. I'm not mad at you, okay? It's okay." He offered her a warm smile and tried to lighten the mood, "It's nobody's fault, okay? Accidents happen. And besides, we're here with mister Ankh and mister Keir now, so it's not all bad, after all! Speaking of... would it be okay to go back to the couch and finish telling the story? If you're not comfortable... I can do it, and you can go to your room and calm down. I won't make you, if you're not comfortable. Just let me know what you want to do, okay?"

Liluye was visibly shaking, that everything that had happened, the lost of their parents, then getting lost from the tribe all clearly had taken a toll on the young primal. Liluye looked up at her brother and spoke very quietly. "We... can go back to the couch... its okay... its all okay." Liluye took a few deep breaths before repeating the phrase 'its okay' to herself a couple more times too try to keep herself calm and relaxed.

Sahale walked back over to the couch with Liluye, and once they were both seated he proceeded on with the story, gently placing a paw on hers to reassure her. "We had to climb up a really steep cliff to get to the other primal tribe, you see, so once we were at the top we couldn't figure out how to get down, and this dense fog rolled in so we couldn't see the bottom anymore. We weren't sure where our tribe went... so we had to improvise. For awhile we followed that other tribe, the one with the mean primal, to get a sense of direction, but we ended up losing them too when we had to stop for a rest, and they kept on walking. We walked for what felt like forever... until we found this weird group of lost-looking primals like us. We went and talked to them, and asked what was going on-- and apparently all of them had gotten lost in the migration too, for different reasons, and they'd all gathered together to get their bearings. And that's where you picked us up from! They said since they couldn't find our original tribe, they'd find some simas that they could home us with, like they did for many other lost primals. And that's how we ended up with you."

Ankh nodded after a moment, a smiled softly. "You two are both very brave," he said.

"Definitely," Keir agreed, his tone vibrant as always, "That's really cool that you guys were able to find your way to another group after being trapped on your own! You two must be real tough kids." He beamed, obviously proud of the kids who he'd more or less begun to think of as his own.

Sahale looked over at his sister and offered her a small smile as well, a bit nervous.

"W-we're brave?... Tough?...." Liluye said softly as if she was questioning it herself. Liluye looked back and fourth between Sahale, Keir and Ankh. Liluye hadn't thought of things like that at all, she had just been blaming herself for her and her brother getting lost. "Uhmm.... th-thank you..." Liluye said quietly with her cheeks a slight shade of red, it was clear she didn't really know how to react but it had made her feel a little better about the whole thing.
Last edited by rem sleep on Wed May 13, 2020 8:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
♥ ♥ ♥
rem sleep - they / them
nocturnal artist, socially awkward
♥ ♥ ♥
umasstorkies
closed species bank
♥ ♥ ♥

rem sleep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rondell » Sun May 03, 2020 10:41 am

#12 || Red-Tailed Hawk wrote:Username: PuddlebyOnTheMarsh

Name: Isabeau

Edits;; Primal Gene
Jewel Rank;; Novice
Power;; Fire
#13 || Sharp-Shinned Hawk wrote:Username: Rondell

Name: Cesare

Edits;; Primal Gene
Jewel Rank;; Novice
Power;; Water

Parents: Satura is their father, while his friend Gabe is their godfather. Having raised two kits of his own, Gabe is a wellspring of information!

How they got lost:
    Cesare's a sleepwalker.

The dark sky arched overhead, cloudless, starless, and moonless. No breeze blew. No insects hummed. No friendly nightjar called out to dispel the nocturnal gloom. Only the rustling of his own footfalls kept him company as he cut across a seemingly endless field, and with every step the hollow sound echoed and doubled until at last it seemed to fill up his entire world. Why not? It had no competition; for all he knew, it WAS the world. He paused for a moment - head up, nose searching - and suddenly he was deaf. This oppressive scene reminded him very much of what a turtle must experience after it withdrew into the deepest depths of its shell... only instead of footfalls, a turtle had to listen to its own heartbeat.

He could neither see nor scent his tribe.

He was alone.

Unable to stand the silence any longer, the young Sima resumed his flight (from what he didn't know), and the night was once more made of rustling.

Isabeau was startled awake by a sharp pain in her tail. Leaping swiftly to her feet, she took a defensive stance and quickly scanned the immediate area for the source of her troubles. Nothing! No enemy, not even a large bug that might have tasted her tail in error.

Wait a minute, speaking of pests, where was her brother? She heard a soft sound behind her, from the nearby forest. Isabeau turned just in time to see his feathered tail slip between the trees. That was odd. Usually he would have hidden close by to observe the results of his prank. She briefly considered waking one of her parents then decided she didn't want to seem to be a whiny pup. Besides, that had really hurt. She wouldn't mind a few minutes out of earshot of her parents to . . .discuss it with him. She quickly and stealthily slipped out of camp, heading for the spot where her brother had vanished into the trees.

Step after step, inch after inch, foot after foot... mile after mile. How long had he been crossing this field? It felt like forever, yet despite the ground he'd covered, the trees on the horizon never seemed to get any closer. If anything, they were getting further away! The young Sima quickened his pace. The rustling of his passage grew more insistent. He HAD to reach those trees...

Isabeau listened carefully while she waited for her eyes to adjust. The nearly full moon seemed as bright as day compared to the darkness of the forest. This was odd behavior, even for Cesare. She had expected him to be waiting with a bucket of water or something to drop on her or throw AT her. Instead, he seemed intent on leading her on a chase. She had half a mind to go back to bed and leave him on his foolish jaunt. Then her tender tail happened to smack into a low branch and she inhaled sharply. No doubt she would regret this, but she was going to track him down. He wasn't going to get away with one of his dumb jokes THIS time! Upon hearing the snap of a small twig nearly out of earshot, she headed swiftly toward the sound. Soon she caught a whiff of his scent and soon after, caught sight of the culprit. Odd - he wasn't acting anything like she had expected! No snickering or sneaking. Just walking along, eyes glazed, staring off into the distance at nothing. Uh oh.... No... can't be! He stopped sleepwalking ages ago!

As she closed the distance between them, she heard a distant roll of thunder. Her brother didn't respond to her arrival at all. Keeping pace with him wasn't easy either. He must be leading a charmed existence to miss every single tree like that. She had to keep sprinting around - and jumping over - shrubbery to stay with him. Finally, a flash of lightning split the sky and she got a good look at his face. Definitely sleep walking.... Waving her paw in front of his face, shouting, and finally a (not that gentle) tap on the back of the head all gave her nothing.

Cesare continued on blindly.

A bright jag of soundless lightning split the sky in half, startling him enough that he broke stride and lapsed into stillness despite his nearly overpowering urge to reach the treeline. Heart racing, wide eyes glued on a featureless expanse that now seemed closer and more oppressive than ever, the young Sima merely stood - waiting for a clap of thunder that would never come. Instead, eerie silence stretched out to infinity.

He had a dreadful notion that the storm was directly overhead.

That he was at its center...

A second bolt of lightning arced across the sky, as silent as the first, and he broke into a run. The rustling of the grass was practically a scream in his starved ears as his feet tore across the field, heedless of any pitfalls that could be hidden by the long grass. He HAD to get to the trees! He had to get... home... back... away....

Before the storm broke.

Because if it did that, and he was still stuck out in the open....

Finally, she tired of the whole "avoid embedding her face in a tree while trying to keep up with her idiot brother" thing. The storm sounded like it was nearly on top of them. She was pretty sure she remembered the direction they had come from, but it was getting harder as they kept dodging trees and charging through thickets. She wasn't too confident about her ability to backtrack by scent, either. Not in this weather! Then there was a small break in the canopy above and the moon gave her enough light to maneuver by. She lunged at Cesare, managing to redirect his forward momentum and spin him front to back. "Hey, where do you think you are going?" she shouted above the sound of the rising wind. Heck with it, this was getting worse by the moment! She nipped his ear, and the heavens opened up.

Perfect!

His eyes popped open. Funny, that... hadn't they been open... already...?

Thoroughly disoriented, Cesere stumbled forward (or was it backward?) a few more steps before finally coming to a halt in a small hollow that was rapidly filling with rain. The stale air of the field had suddenly been replaced by dampness; by the smell of wet earth and leaves and an electrical tang so prominent that, for a moment, he wondered if he'd bitten his tongue. And the sound was spectacular! Thunder, wind, rustling, creaking, cracking... it was a balm to his senses after so much deprivation!

But... where was he? Why did his ear hurt?

Blinking slowly in the deluge (to clear his mind more than his eyes), the young Sima and peered about himself in the rain-darkened night and fought to regain his bearings. He couldn't REMEMBER reaching the forest, yet here he was - in the safety of the trees! Home! Safe! Cesare could feel his excitement rising.

"Over here, stupid!"

He spun around, searching for the source of the voice, and easily picked his sister out of the gloom. As his eyes fell upon her, he grinned. "Izzy! We're home! I found my way! We're..."

"You were sleepwalking again!"

Cesare's words died on his tongue. There were trees all around, yes, but not the ones he'd been seeking. He could see that now. The bark, the leaves - they were wrong. So was the smell. How had he not seen immediately...? "So the whole thing was..."

"A dream, yes."

A cold, hard lump settled in his stomach, and he couldn't keep from shivering.

"I was fast asleep with the rest of the tribe, but you stomped on my tail as you were going off. I thought you were being dumb again, so I followed you, only to find out that you WERE being dumb, but in a different way." Isabeau attempted to smile, but he could tell that her heart wasn't in it. His sister was tired after all, and wet, and afraid. Just like he was. It had been a long night for them both.
"I tried to keep track of where we were going but I mainly was counting on following our scent trail," she gave a futile shake, "you can see how well that plan worked out. Back home we know every rock and tree but I'm afraid I'm lost for the first time in my life." She plopped down on the sodden ground, her tail making a faint splash as it landed in a puddle, "and I do not like it!"

Note: MY writing is italic (Cesare asleep) or gray (Cesare awake)
while Puddle's is nice, normal text throughout.
Last edited by Rondell on Fri May 15, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Visit the Agglomeration!
(I.E. my characters...)

P.S - Happy holidays!!
Rondell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Weeping_Angel }Y{ » Thu May 07, 2020 6:06 pm

I'm extending this competition by a week! The new end date is May 15th!
---
woof
birb
---
Art by
Ember the Wolf
characters
dA
---
babusagi
simas
---

Weeping_Angel }Y{

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Weeping_Angel }Y{ » Sat May 09, 2020 3:47 am

small bump
---
woof
birb
---
Art by
Ember the Wolf
characters
dA
---
babusagi
simas
---

Weeping_Angel }Y{

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ArizonaT3a » Thu May 14, 2020 4:26 am

Oh goodness how did I just now see these, these are gorgeous!! <3 ; w ;
ArizonaT3a

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Weeping_Angel }Y{ » Thu May 14, 2020 4:37 am

Everyone has about 48 hours left to enter/finish their forms!
---
woof
birb
---
Art by
Ember the Wolf
characters
dA
---
babusagi
simas
---

Weeping_Angel }Y{

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Simonpet » Fri May 15, 2020 7:30 pm

#12 || Red-Tailed Hawk wrote:Username: hazilnut
Name: Eryn
#13 || Sharp-Shinned Hawk wrote:Username: Simonpet
Name: Atticus
Parents wrote:Donna is the twins' adoptive mom-aunt
who took them in with little trouble
and is dearly loved by them.

How did they get lost?

Getting lost is easy. Anyone can do it. You just have to be spectacularly bad at remembering the time.

Mid-winter was normally a joyous time. Atticus's tribe would be travelling south and they'd stop at various villages, partake in festivals, and generally have a good time on their journey. This wasn't their first time on the trail but Atticus's parents had promised him and Eryn that they'd get more freedom to explore this time.

"When we get there," Atticus said, padding along next to Eryn, "I'm gonna go on ALL the rides!"

Eryn snorted. "You're gonna get sick," she said snottily. "You can't even stand on the cliff. How are you going to ride a Ferris wheel??"

Atticus paused, open-mouthed. "I totally will!" he said. "Just you wait!"

They stayed at the village for a week. It was only seven days. Eryn got control of the money. Atticus kept his promise and dragged Eryn to all the rides. Sure, Atticus was totally freaked out by heights but he never admitted it, even when he nearly fainted once and threw up another time. But he had fun! He'd made sure of it. There was just so much to see; the rides, the attractions, the shops oh the shops! He and Eryn browsed all the shops but didn't buy too much. What use had they for pretty trinkets, after all? Or the charms that promised to "increase your power" or "make you beautiful" or "give you wings" and whatnot. All of that was fake, their parents had told them. Don't believe in it. So they only really used the money for sweets and harmless little items like the clip to secure Eryn's feathers or the string to secure Atticus's feathers. They'd been feathers from their first catches and they had given each other their feathers. That way, Atticus had explained, a little piece of their twin would be with them always. Everything seemed so good until the final day.

"C'mon! We haven't gone there and we have tooons of money left over." Atticus yanked at Eryn's right arm. "What's gonna go wrong here? They have hot chocolate, and hot fudge, and hot-"

"Yes yes," said Eryn waspishly, "they have hot sweets. Alright. Lead the way, Bratticus."

They played with some of the local kids and generally had themselves a good time. Atticus had hot chocolate. Eryn had tea. Atticus had ice cream. Eryn had different chocolate candies. Atticus talked with the shopkeeper. Eryn saw that the sky had turned pitch black.

The black-and-green sima looked like something from a nightmare, when the twins ran into her. Their voices were hoarse from screaming and most of the attractions had started to close. No one could spare some time for the lost primal cubs.

"Come here," the sima said. "You look like you're lost."

"Yeah, we are," sniffed Atticus. "I want my mommy."

The older primal smiled softly at them and lowered herself to their eye level. "If you come with me, I'll help you find your parents. Okay?"

"Okay."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While how the siblings got lost was a relatively simple story, how they stayed lost was somewhat more complicated.

"No, Balthus they were- No we’re okay I set them up in the guest room. Yes I’m sure. Eryn and Atticus, that’s E-Y-R- No, no last name. No. I have Sam on the north end. I already tried. We really need to find them before the storm hits. You will? Okay. Okay, yeah. Thanks."

Donna hung the landline back up, the only phone that would work this far out on the tundra and even then, spottily. She buried her head in her paws and sighed deeply. Balthus wasn’t the first sima she had contacted about the lost cubs, or even the second. Sixth or seventh would probably be more accurate. First had been the alphas of all the tribes still camping outside the town, then when that had turned up no leads, the simas running the popup radio station she had set up for short distance emergency communication. That too had borne no fruit- either the tribe Eyrn and Atticus belonged to hadn’t opted into the broadcast system or the incoming storm was already frazzling communications.

Scribbling a checkmark next to Balthus’s name, Donna mouthed the digits of the next number on her list as she dialed them. "634 921-"

"Donna?" At mention of her name, the primal glanced down to find the dewey eyes of Eyrn staring up at her.

Immediately softening, Donna turned her chair so she could lean down to be eye-level with Eyrn. "Hey dear, did you wake up?"
    "I’m doing everything in my power to, and I won’t stop until I do," Donna swore. Even though she had only known the cubs for a couple of days, Donna could so easily picture Atticus’s response to her vow. He’d look up at her with wide eyes like she was a superhero. She didn’t want to fail that faith, she didn’t want to fail Eyrn’s skeptical, barely-mollified hope. Most of all, Donna didn’t want these kids to be alone. But clearly, and she realized this with the sinking feeling all too familiar to one who takes on too many projects at once and has to watch them start to slip one by one, she wasn’t going to reunite a family tonight. "Come on, let’s get you to bed."

At the very least she could ensure they weren’t sleeping alone.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It had been a couple of years and Donna kept promising them that someday, she would get the call. Someday, they'd be reunited with their parents. Atticus...wasn't sure. He wasn't sure about anything.

"So, how was your day?" asked Donna, looking from Atticus to Eryn and back again. They were sitting at the table, eating stew. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't Atticus's favorite. He liked fresh game more, even after time away from the nomadic lifestyle.

"It was great!" Eryn chirped. "Molly and I are gonna be working together on a project."

Atticus nodded. "And I'm working with Jay."

"What exactly is this project?"

Eryn and Atticus looked at each other and grinned. "It's a history project. Each group is taking a different time period," Eryn explained.

"I got before the Age of Progression," said Atticus smugly. "Eryn got the split between primals and simas."

Eryn stuck out her tongue. "It's not as cool," she mumbled. "There's no action."

Donna smiled. A little hiccup escaped her. It didn't sound like a hiccup. Atticus's eyes narrowed and the hiccups died away. Atticus kept pecking at his stew. The banter always cheered him up but sometimes, like now, it brought a wave of old memories. Traveling with his parents. Roughhousing with the other cubs. His first kill. But now new memories floated to the top. Donna finding them that fateful night. Enrolling in school and meeting primal cubs that looked the same but acted so different. Finding out that he loved to read and that Eryn loved making things. Did he really want to go back? Atticus shoveled stew into his mouth, pretending that it was hunger and not shame. He wanted his parents. He didn't want to go back. He was betrayed. He was happy.

It was too easy to have mixed feelings about the whole affair. The three of them kept quiet, not wanting to disappoint the others whatever happened.

"Eryn, Atticus, what did I say about cleaning your room?"

The two cubs, well they couldn’t properly be called cubs anymore at their age and height though one could make an argument on the basis of their maturity, stopped halfway out the door. Or rather, Eryn stopped halfway out the door and Atticus crashed into her. She elbowed her brother, lightly, for the insult. He pushed her back.

"I already cleaned my side," declared Eryn haughtily.

"Yeah, because you threw your junk at me!"

"Not true!"

"Yeah true!"

"Bratticus."

"Er-whine."

"Kids-" Donna’s warning was half-hearted and fond as she watched the cubs, oh they were definitely still cubs, blow raspberries at one another. "There aren't any sides, the entire room is both your responsibilities." And as the door groaned ominously under the weight of two nearly full grown primals, she added "If that door breaks I'll make you clean the whole house and the front desk too. I'm not joking!"

"We're 'interning'-" Atticus stopped noogie-ing his sister to put air quotes around the word. "-you'd make us clean the front desk anyways." But he took a step back from the door anyways. Eryn followed suit, shaking her fur out indignantly.

"There have got to be child labor laws that forbid this tyranny."

"Not among family," replied Donna chipperly as she escorted the cubs down the hall to their room, passing by carefully hung drawings and plastic awards from school and festival contests.

"This is unjust!" Eryn squealed around laughter. "I know my rights!"

"“Yeah your right to shut up," teased Atticus.

"Both of you. Room. Clean. Now."

"Fine, mom. Jeez it’s only a few cups." It was definitely more than a few cups, but Donna just smiled and gave her cubs' fur a ruffle before leaving them too it. She’d have to check on them in a little while to make sure no one busted any bed springs with delusions of acrobatics again, but for now they could stay on their own. She’d never be far away.

Whatever the story of how the cubs got lost, what was perhaps more important was the story of how they were found.
Simonpet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Weeping_Angel }Y{ » Tue May 26, 2020 4:34 am

Simonpet wrote:
#12 || Red-Tailed Hawk wrote:Username: hazilnut
Name: Eryn
#13 || Sharp-Shinned Hawk wrote:Username: Simonpet
Name: Atticus
Parents wrote:Donna is the twins' adoptive mom-aunt
who took them in with little trouble
and is dearly loved by them.

How did they get lost?

Getting lost is easy. Anyone can do it. You just have to be spectacularly bad at remembering the time.

Mid-winter was normally a joyous time. Atticus's tribe would be travelling south and they'd stop at various villages, partake in festivals, and generally have a good time on their journey. This wasn't their first time on the trail but Atticus's parents had promised him and Eryn that they'd get more freedom to explore this time.

"When we get there," Atticus said, padding along next to Eryn, "I'm gonna go on ALL the rides!"

Eryn snorted. "You're gonna get sick," she said snottily. "You can't even stand on the cliff. How are you going to ride a Ferris wheel??"

Atticus paused, open-mouthed. "I totally will!" he said. "Just you wait!"

They stayed at the village for a week. It was only seven days. Eryn got control of the money. Atticus kept his promise and dragged Eryn to all the rides. Sure, Atticus was totally freaked out by heights but he never admitted it, even when he nearly fainted once and threw up another time. But he had fun! He'd made sure of it. There was just so much to see; the rides, the attractions, the shops oh the shops! He and Eryn browsed all the shops but didn't buy too much. What use had they for pretty trinkets, after all? Or the charms that promised to "increase your power" or "make you beautiful" or "give you wings" and whatnot. All of that was fake, their parents had told them. Don't believe in it. So they only really used the money for sweets and harmless little items like the clip to secure Eryn's feathers or the string to secure Atticus's feathers. They'd been feathers from their first catches and they had given each other their feathers. That way, Atticus had explained, a little piece of their twin would be with them always. Everything seemed so good until the final day.

"C'mon! We haven't gone there and we have tooons of money left over." Atticus yanked at Eryn's right arm. "What's gonna go wrong here? They have hot chocolate, and hot fudge, and hot-"

"Yes yes," said Eryn waspishly, "they have hot sweets. Alright. Lead the way, Bratticus."

They played with some of the local kids and generally had themselves a good time. Atticus had hot chocolate. Eryn had tea. Atticus had ice cream. Eryn had different chocolate candies. Atticus talked with the shopkeeper. Eryn saw that the sky had turned pitch black.

The black-and-green sima looked like something from a nightmare, when the twins ran into her. Their voices were hoarse from screaming and most of the attractions had started to close. No one could spare some time for the lost primal cubs.

"Come here," the sima said. "You look like you're lost."

"Yeah, we are," sniffed Atticus. "I want my mommy."

The older primal smiled softly at them and lowered herself to their eye level. "If you come with me, I'll help you find your parents. Okay?"

"Okay."

While how the siblings got lost was a relatively simple story, how they stayed lost was somewhat more complicated.

"No, Balthus they were- No we’re okay I set them up in the guest room. Yes I’m sure. Eryn and Atticus, that’s E-Y-R- No, no last name. No. I have Sam on the north end. I already tried. We really need to find them before the storm hits. You will? Okay. Okay, yeah. Thanks."

Donna hung the landline back up, the only phone that would work this far out on the tundra and even then, spottily. She buried her head in her paws and sighed deeply. Balthus wasn’t the first sima she had contacted about the lost cubs, or even the second. Sixth or seventh would probably be more accurate. First had been the alphas of all the tribes still camping outside the town, then when that had turned up no leads, the simas running the popup radio station she had set up for short distance emergency communication. That too had borne no fruit- either the tribe Eyrn and Atticus belonged to hadn’t opted into the broadcast system or the incoming storm was already frazzling communications.

Scribbling a checkmark next to Balthus’s name, Donna mouthed the digits of the next number on her list as she dialed them. "634 921-"

"Donna?" At mention of her name, the primal glanced down to find the dewey eyes of Eyrn staring up at her.

Immediately softening, Donna turned her chair so she could lean down to be eye-level with Eyrn. "Hey dear, did you wake up?"
    "I’m doing everything in my power to, and I won’t stop until I do," Donna swore. Even though she had only known the cubs for a couple of days, Donna could so easily picture Atticus’s response to her vow. He’d look up at her with wide eyes like she was a superhero. She didn’t want to fail that faith, she didn’t want to fail Eyrn’s skeptical, barely-mollified hope. Most of all, Donna didn’t want these kids to be alone. But clearly, and she realized this with the sinking feeling all too familiar to one who takes on too many projects at once and has to watch them start to slip one by one, she wasn’t going to reunite a family tonight. "Come on, let’s get you to bed."

At the very least she could ensure they weren’t sleeping alone.

It had been a couple of years and Donna kept promising them that someday, she would get the call. Someday, they'd be reunited with their parents. Atticus...wasn't sure. He wasn't sure about anything.

"So, how was your day?" asked Donna, looking from Atticus to Eryn and back again. They were sitting at the table, eating stew. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't Atticus's favorite. He liked fresh game more, even after time away from the nomadic lifestyle.

"It was great!" Eryn chirped. "Molly and I are gonna be working together on a project."

Atticus nodded. "And I'm working with Jay."

"What exactly is this project?"

Eryn and Atticus looked at each other and grinned. "It's a history project. Each group is taking a different time period," Eryn explained.

"I got before the Age of Progression," said Atticus smugly. "Eryn got the split between primals and simas."

Eryn stuck out her tongue. "It's not as cool," she mumbled. "There's no action."

Donna smiled. A little hiccup escaped her. It didn't sound like a hiccup. Atticus's eyes narrowed and the hiccups died away. Atticus kept pecking at his stew. The banter always cheered him up but sometimes, like now, it brought a wave of old memories. Traveling with his parents. Roughhousing with the other cubs. His first kill. But now new memories floated to the top. Donna finding them that fateful night. Enrolling in school and meeting primal cubs that looked the same but acted so different. Finding out that he loved to read and that Eryn loved making things. Did he really want to go back? Atticus shoveled stew into his mouth, pretending that it was hunger and not shame. He wanted his parents. He didn't want to go back. He was betrayed. He was happy.

It was too easy to have mixed feelings about the whole affair. The three of them kept quiet, not wanting to disappoint the others whatever happened.

"Eryn, Atticus, what did I say about cleaning your room?"

The two cubs, well they couldn’t properly be called cubs anymore at their age and height though one could make an argument on the basis of their maturity, stopped halfway out the door. Or rather, Eryn stopped halfway out the door and Atticus crashed into her. She elbowed her brother, lightly, for the insult. He pushed her back.

"I already cleaned my side," declared Eryn haughtily.

"Yeah, because you threw your junk at me!"

"Not true!"

"Yeah true!"

"Bratticus."

"Er-whine."

"Kids-" Donna’s warning was half-hearted and fond as she watched the cubs, oh they were definitely still cubs, blow raspberries at one another. "There aren't any sides, the entire room is both your responsibilities." And as the door groaned ominously under the weight of two nearly full grown primals, she added "If that door breaks I'll make you clean the whole house and the front desk too. I'm not joking!"

"We're 'interning'-" Atticus stopped noogie-ing his sister to put air quotes around the word. "-you'd make us clean the front desk anyways." But he took a step back from the door anyways. Eryn followed suit, shaking her fur out indignantly.

"There have got to be child labor laws that forbid this tyranny."

"Not among family," replied Donna chipperly as she escorted the cubs down the hall to their room, passing by carefully hung drawings and plastic awards from school and festival contests.

"This is unjust!" Eryn squealed around laughter. "I know my rights!"

"“Yeah your right to shut up," teased Atticus.

"Both of you. Room. Clean. Now."

"Fine, mom. Jeez it’s only a few cups." It was definitely more than a few cups, but Donna just smiled and gave her cubs' fur a ruffle before leaving them too it. She’d have to check on them in a little while to make sure no one busted any bed springs with delusions of acrobatics again, but for now they could stay on their own. She’d never be far away.

Whatever the story of how the cubs got lost, what was perhaps more important was the story of how they were found.

It took me a while to decide a winner because I was torn. So while hazilnut and Simonpet are the winners, everyone else will be getting HMs.

Prizes are as follows::

rem sleep
[L] Trophy of the Warchief
Gives your Sima a legendary set of custom horns.

FluffytheUnicorn
[R] Trophy of the Warchief
Gives your Sima a rare set of custom horns.

PuddlebyOnTheMarsh
[UC] Elder's Pelt
Gives your Sima a primal mane.

Rondell
[UC] Elder's Pelt
Gives your Sima a primal mane.
---
woof
birb
---
Art by
Ember the Wolf
characters
dA
---
babusagi
simas
---

Weeping_Angel }Y{

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rem sleep » Tue May 26, 2020 12:13 pm

Thank you for the honorable mention! n v n ! big congrats to the winners!
♥ ♥ ♥
rem sleep - they / them
nocturnal artist, socially awkward
♥ ♥ ♥
umasstorkies
closed species bank
♥ ♥ ♥

rem sleep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery