Starry bois by Tailish

Artist Tailish [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 58 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
2 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Starry bois

Postby Tailish » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:30 am

hell yeah, random space gods/fantasy stuff, let's go.

WIP for now but there is a semblance of a plan.

name: the young rider/???

characteristics:
    are a constellation, personified; can be either the constellation or "solid" form
    agender bc why would a constellation be gendered?
    a partnership; both ram and dood are on equal footing
    dood has a spear and a plant?
    associations to hunting, farming, growth, seasonality? maybe from a belief that things grow at night because they're not observed to grow during the day, so they come by and make plants grow? maybe related to ice ages/planetary cooling?
    uhhh detailed aspects r gonna depend on their planet of origin and i haven't settled on one yet, but it might be orkish in nature? will probs b cold tho.

origins? Maybe? plot bunny jumped into my head, feel free to ignore

A long time ago, when [planet] was hot and the sky was empty, a young child stole an ember from the heart and carried it in their pocket. The ember carried with it some of the heat of the planet, as all embers do. When night came, the ember burned brighter, and the child awoke. The ember sang to the child, "take me where none of my kind have been before," for all of [species] and all of fire had spread every land.
The child agreed and took the strongest goat from the pasture, and together they went into the forest. "Has your kind been here?" Asked the child, and the ember answered yes. "For [species] has long known the forests and the trees. You need only look at your saddle bags to know that." And indeed, in the saddle bags were [native plant and bread thing], and so the child saw that fire had been here before.
Together they went on into the mountains, and soon they came upon a tall and rocky pass. "Has your kind been here?" Asked the child, and the ember answered yes. "For [species] has long walked these mountains for many reasons, and always have they carried us." And indeed, the child saw some charcoal on the side of the path, and knew that fire had been here before.
So they continued, and soon it grew darker and colder as they neared the roof of the world. Together, they went to the top of the tallest mountain, which almost touched the sky. "Has your kind been here?" Asked the child, and the ember answered yes. "For although none now remember it, there was a time when [species] strode all the walkable surfaces, even the tops of mountains, but they could never get higher." And so the child knew that fire had been there before, and that fire had not yet been into the sky.
So the child asked the goat to jump higher than any goat had ever jumped before, and together they reached the sky. "Has your kind been here?" Asked the child, knowing what the answer would be. "No, we have not," said the ember, "and I thank you for bringing me here." And the ember burned brighter and exploded into all the stars. Since the ember had carried in it some of the heat of the planet, all the stars now shone with this heat, and the largest and hottest fragment was the sun. The child and the goat stayed in the sky and herded the stars, and they are still there today.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
███████████████████████████░█

█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
█░█
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX