Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Pleyons [interest check) by Meoauniaea

Artist Meoauniaea [gallery]
Time spent 17 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
One person likes this Log in to vote for this drawing

Pleyons [interest check)

Postby Meoauniaea » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:05 pm

Pleyons
No one is sure how long ago the Pleyon species evolved, or even what their closest living relatives may be. Discovered by divers in 2020, they dwell in underwater caves and seem to have an advanced society, and scientists are mystified how they went unnoticed for so long. The name "Pleyons" was chosen as the race seems to play on... and on... and on... they never seem to sleep!
Pleyons live at depths between 150 and 250 meters (490 to 820 feet), which is likely why they had not been discovered sooner.

Physical Description
Pleyons are very small, no more than 9 kg/20 lbs (about the weight of two house cats).
They have very round heads with rectangular pupils, two narrow nostrils, and no mouth. Their primary method of communication appears to be telepathic or body language based.
The long tendrils off their heads are called Yanaka. They can vary in length, and are used to sense the width of openings. They are also used for communication. Most Pleyons appear to have two, but as many as six have been seen, and both even and odd numbers have been reported.
The eyes and insides of the nostrils appear to glow in low light, aiding in their ability to see.
The body of a Pleyon seems quite boxy but is very muscled. The skin is quite elastic; it is smooth. Pleyons with fur have not been seen; upon closer inspection with a microscope it appears their skin is covered in layers of insulating, overlapping scales. It is suspected that individuals living deeper down may have fur, but this has yet to be proven.
The legs of the Pleyons end in webbed feet. The front legs are slightly shorter than the rear legs.
The tail is bulbous and seems out of place. Not all Pleyons appear to have tails, but no long tails have been spotted, either. However, scientists suspect Pleyons living deeper down may have this.
What is perhaps most interesting is their coloring. Most Pleyons appear to be chimeras, the reason behind which is unknown. They will almost always have contrasting patterns in patches across their bodies of two or three different designs, the colors of which may vary drastically on the same Pleyon. Non-chimera Pleyons have never been recorded. A wide variety of colors from greys and browns to brilliant greens and purples have been recorded. The eyes appear to always match the inside of the nostrils.

Social Structure
Pleyons are highly sociable. They live in groups of up to fifty individuals, known as floats. A float usually consists of at least four dominant grown Pleyons who keep track of everyone, and several other less dominant Pleyons. Floats of fewer than five Pleyons appear rare and loners even rarer.

Breeding
Pleyons have no identifiable genders, and it appears that any two individuals can breed. Scientists suspect they may naturally be able to conceive with all mature members of their species. Up to three Pleyons can produce offspring together at once. Pleyons seem to be highly loyal to their mates, and rarely separate from them.
Baby Pleyons are called Pleyids, and two Pleyids are usually born in a litter. However, litters of up to five Pleyids have been recorded.
Pleyids with two parents tend to have two patterns in their chimerism, and Pleyids with three parents generally have three patterns. Four patterns has been recorded but the cause of this is unknown. A single pattern has never been recorded.

Diet
Pleyons are herbivores and eat by absorbing small algae through their Yanaka.
Last edited by Meoauniaea on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can call me Hadley, that's fine too.
How to say my username (and the meaning)
Toyhou.se || Flight Rising || Pixpet || Final Outpost || PFQ
Discord: redfailhawk

Lilypad won her AKC CGC title on 10/18/23!
Lilypad won her CGCA title on 11/8/23!

NaNoWriMo Winner:
2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-2023
Meoauniaea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Pleyons [interest check)

Postby niki » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:06 pm

Interest :o
niki
he she
evil transmasc lesbian
niki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby FerretMonarch » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:02 pm

Intrest!
FerretMonarch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Meoauniaea » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:31 am

I've decided to proceed with these guys, and will be creating new lines when I get a chance! I want a more ref-y lineart.

You can call me Hadley, that's fine too.
How to say my username (and the meaning)
Toyhou.se || Flight Rising || Pixpet || Final Outpost || PFQ
Discord: redfailhawk

Lilypad won her AKC CGC title on 10/18/23!
Lilypad won her CGCA title on 11/8/23!

NaNoWriMo Winner:
2018-2019-2020-2021-2022-2023
Meoauniaea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me