Artist Ki-Mono [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 21 minutes
Drawing sessions 5
13 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

by Ki-Mono

How to draw hands

Postby Ki-Mono » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:16 am

Alrighty, hands. This is one of the hardest things to draw just because there is so much to keep track of.

For the most part, I think I wrote down most of what I have to say on the drawing itself. So I'll just be repeating some things.
Fingers, on an averaged sized person, are relatively skinny and long. A finger can actually be bit off just as easily as a carrot can (or so I'm told). So when drawing them, think of carrots instead of sausages.
The finger has 3 rotating parts, and the thumb has 2. The rotating parts are really the only areas you need to place extra skin wrinkles (it folds and stretches with the movement of your fingers).
There are an equal amount of parts that do not move at all. For example, you can't physically bend the very tip part of your fingers.
In between every finger, there is little "skin pockets". I don't know what they are actually called but that's what we're going with. Basically, you can see the skin from the front of your hand inbetween these areas. However, that's all it is, just skin. The thumb has a much bigger skin pocket, and it move around with the thumb.
Speaking of the thumb; the main hand is a lopsided square, however the itself sits on it's own triangle space. This space moves independently from the square (I hope that makes sense).
On the hand, you can usually see bones and veins etc. This does sometimes differ from person to person. At least on my hands, the veins and bones are pretty prominent.
The wrist is super important for movement of your hands! So try not to forget to draw it! The wrist has to circular areas on either side, with just a slight area in the middle that "isn't quite hand but isn't quite wrist", if that makes sense.

"Cartoon hands" is a very broad term, because everyone does them differently. Three very simple rules most of them follow is: they usually always have 4 fingers, only bend in 2 places, and don't have wrists. Of course these aren't hard and fast rules, but it is a guideline.
I'm not really sure what you kids are into these days, but the hands referenced above are (from left to right), Gravity Falls, Steven's Universe, Adventure Time, Spongebob Squarepants, Phineas and Ferb, and The Simpsons.
If you would like to draw hands like some of your favorite cartoons, I would recommend just looking up said cartoons and drawing their hands from reference. There are most likely tutorials on YouTube from the actual creators that show how to draw the characters; I would recommend checking those out too.

Hands is something you simply have to practice to get better at. I used to draw hands behind the back and all that jazz in order to avoid them, because I was no good at drawing them. However, one day I made a decision to never hide hands again and always force myself to draw them. It's tough, but you have to draw them in order to get better at them. Tough love, baby.
One way to try and get better fast is to go over to my fave site: SketchDaily. From there, go under the "body parts" tab and select "hands". Draw hands as often as you can in different poses. Your brain will start to get a general idea on how they work and how you draw them the more you do it.
Last edited by Ki-Mono on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ki-Mono

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: How to draw hands

Postby jinxs » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am

OML tysm this is sosososoosos helpful aaaa
CHARMINGS!? -- jinx -- he/whatever -- lesbian -- th
jinxs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: How to draw hands

Postby ScribbleScrib » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:10 pm

This totally helps me out a lot tooo Yesss <3

ImageImageImageImage
My Toyhou.se!
If you ever need someone to talk to,
PM me! I'm here to listen! I know what
it's like to not have anyone to talk to,
and I want to be someone anyone could
turn to, without any worry of judgement!
Just HMU please!

(Previously PaigeyTheCatLady!)
(Art on the left and avatar by me, bottom by keiikoa)

ImageImage
ScribbleScrib

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me