Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

One Layer [watercolor] Background Tutorial - Finished! by SnowStar

Artist SnowStar [gallery]
Time spent 22 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
7 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

One Layer [watercolor] Background Tutorial - Finished!

Postby SnowStar » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:34 am

For this background, I am doing a simple meadow with cloudy skies. I am using the water color tool and the color picker for this background.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪
Part 1 [you are here] - Part 2 - Part 3

Please note that I do have pen pressure so if you don't you'll have to modify and test things out for your liking and drawing style. Nothing is ever going to be perfect but no one is and I am always going to support your drawing and oh and ah over it when you show me your creations.

We are not here for perfection we are here for fun and learning new things! So let us begin! :D
    (make sure to keep pen pressure and opacity options on.)

Step 1:
    Before you start your drawing, pick two colors of your chose. One for your cloudy skies, and one for your grass. Those will be your base colors and we'll be building onto it from there thanks to ye ol color picker as we go along. For this tutorial I chose some nice dark shades of blue for the clouds and green for the grass.

We're keeping it simple. White, plain and boring base. With a large brush size (Just for these panels I used something around 50-55 in size). Do some simple brushes back and forth where you want your sky to be. Basic stuff nothing fancy, don't try to make it a solid color. Watercolor makes things blended looking with different shades from the color you chose. We will be loving it and working with that. Want a little more darker streaks or lighter? Just keep brushes in the spots you want it with your chosen color or white for a lighter area. Play with the brush size for smaller and larger looking strips.

Step 2:
    Time for the grass base! Get your grass color and do the exact same things where you're wanting your meadow to be. Notice how the sky and grass base colors blended a little where they met? Thats okay! The colors blending is just fine and in the end it'll look just fine.

Step 3: We have both our bases done now. Yay! For this part we are entirely focusing on the sky and clouds. This is where the handy dandy color picker comes in and be prepared to be changing back and forth between smaller and larger brush sizes. Eyeball it to see what you like, the undo option is very handy in case something messes up, so don't worry too much.

All those different colored stripes will be fluffed up into different colored clouds. Choose a color, and making sort of swirly motion up and out. You don't have to make all the clouds the exact same shape and size - play around and have some fun. I work from top to bottom but honestly do what you like. Things will blend together some - thats fine and great! It's one of the reasons I love using watercolor so much. This is kinda time consuming, just keep picking colors and keep swirling and fluffing up the clouds to your liking.

If you think it's lacking in darker or lighter colors in the mix, as before just streak in some of the original color or white for a lighter look, color pick and swirl around to make some fluffy clouds.

Step 4: If you're happy with your grass base, ignore this step. If you feel like your base needs a little extra - give if some touch ups. I felt that my base was a little too dull so I chose two new colors, one lighter and one darker of the base grass color I originally chose and brushed some of those colors I felt was needed here and there. Once I thought it looked better now it's time to go the the final and most time consuming stage: grass blades.

Step 5:

Work from top to bottom, small brush size to large. The farther away an object is the smaller and less detail is required. Up The opacity from it's original 70 to something around 170+, and make sure you have a little smoothing on so nothing has a too sharp of an edge on it. You might need to test and undo a couple times until you find something you like.

Just like with the clouds - color pick and brush up and out to get a nice grass blade look. Grass doesn't go all the same direction sometimes so let it go everywhere if you want. If you hand starts to hurt takes a break from it, grass can be a pain sometimes. As you work your way down slowly up the brush size. I went from a size 2 to eventually size 6-7 with my example panel.

But once your done with the grass the picture is all nice and pretty and finished!
So full of hate were our eyes
That none of us could see
Our war would yield countless dead
But never victory
So let us cast arms aside
And like discard our wrath
Thou, in faith, will keep us safe
Whilst we find the path

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Art block is hitting hard, sorry about not drawing much or being on lately.
SnowStar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: One Layer [watercolor] Background Tutorial - Finished!

Postby Tea... » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:32 pm

Omg this will help me loads!! Thank you for sharing your secrets!!
ImageArt Shop!I am doing commissions! Very slowly please be patient with me.
Please don't message me on cs unless you don't have a discord! Please message me on discord here at Tea.#1054
Teá. + 342434. ✞ He/She/They. Single. Young adult. I love anime, crime dramas, romance, art, psychology, history, walks, sleeping, my bed, warm days, DnD+Exalted, cosplay. Please talk to me on Discord about your interests!!!

Tea...

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: One Layer [watercolor] Background Tutorial - Finished!

Postby SnowStar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:50 pm

You're welcome, I'm happy you like it! :3
So full of hate were our eyes
That none of us could see
Our war would yield countless dead
But never victory
So let us cast arms aside
And like discard our wrath
Thou, in faith, will keep us safe
Whilst we find the path

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Art block is hitting hard, sorry about not drawing much or being on lately.
SnowStar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me