Forum rules
Old art from the Official weekly challenge board will be moved here automatically when the weekly challenge timer runs out.

If you didn't finish your drawing in time for the current challenge, feel free to post it in the weekly challenge board anyway, as it will eventually make its way here with the other retired challenge art :)

They're All Together by gardog

Artist gardog [gallery]
Time spent 13 hours, 36 minutes
Drawing sessions 10
9 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

They're All Together

Postby gardog » Wed May 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Hoo~... this took quite a while... at least I was expecting it to take a while this time XD

I have had several pets in my lifetime, specifically cats... SO. MANY. CATS. At one point in my life, I had 26 cats all at once... no, you did not read that wrong... and though that was the most cats I've had at once, the cats kept comin' and goin'. Recently, we lost a lot of them to coyotes (dang coyotes) and I still miss most of them. I chose to only draw alive pets for... obvious reasons XD

It's not just cats that I've lost recently; in 2017, I lost my baby boy Speckle. He was the best dachshund ever (don't tell Rhiley-- see below for info-- that, she's also a dachshund... and I guess Duke-- see below for info-- also is... please don't tell them, at the very least, Rhiley will be mad XD). I still miss him. RIP, Bubba (his nickname).

A long time ago, I also lost a dog named Josey, or gardog. Yes, I named my account after her. I've named many accounts after her. She was our guard dog (I used to say 'gardog' instead of 'guard dog' when I was little and the name just stuck XD) and I'm sad to say that my memory of her is fuzzy... I just remember a few things here and there, like how she really liked to play with (chew on) turtles... which is why turtles stopped coming to our yard XD. Even now, I only see a turtle every now and then and there's a span of at least a few months inbetween each sighting. She was the best doberman ever; RIP gardog.

Fish. I've also had many fish. Too many fish. I have a ten gallon aquarium that's been through hell and is still going on strong somehow (though I did have to change the light). The tank itself has to be over 30 years old, since it's a hand-me-down (yes, tanks can be hand-me-downs). Anyway, there was a time, in that little ten gallon, that I had over 30 guppies that were multiplying to the point where I couldn't feed them enough or keep track of which ones were eating and which weren't... they ended up cannibalizing each other and completely dying out, along with a few glow fish and algae-eaters that I had in the tank... however... one single fish survived every single bit of it the entire way through... and that's the fish you see in the picture... let's start with it's introduction, shall we?

Pet Introductions:
Silver: Also known as Fishy, this fish is the longest living fish I've ever had. It's spine is crooked and, to any outsider, it would look like I'm starving the poor thing, but, I assure you, it's because this fish is at least SEVEN YEARS OLD IF NOT MORE. The fish store said it wouldn't live for more than five years, take that fish store! But, since this fish has been through a lot, I am pretty sure that it might be insane... maybe. It does only have itself to talk to... and me occasionally. Anyway, moving on!

Hunter: This is the gray kitty you see above, the one without the stripes and the yellow eyes. We're not sure if he's our oldest cat at the moment, but he certainly looks like it. The poor baby has been gettin' bullied by the cat at the other end of the sill lately and we have no idea why. However, because of the bullying, he's been licking himself to point of losing fur. We try to keep them separated, but it's hard to do that when they are outside 24/7 (unless they go into our cat condo in our garage). I think he'll be okay, he's a travelling cat, he doesn't always stay home, but he always comes back. EDIT: Age unknown

Cloud: This is the gray kitty with the stripes. I'm not sure if he or his brother (we'll get to him next) is older, but he certainly looks younger. He's a small stick of a kitty XD. He and Hunter sometimes like to be touched, but touch them in the wrong way and they will strike! However, Cloud is usually more shy than Hunter is and might actually let go if he gets ya XD. Generally, though, he's a good kitty :3 EDIT: Can't remember the age (but adult).

Ren: Ren is the dark tabby on the end and is Cloud's brother. He is what I would call the alpha of the group... and he really does not like Hunter. Hunter has been here way longer than Ren and they didn't start fighting until recently, so we're not sure what the trigger is, be it Hunter smelling like another place (since he wanders) or what. But, other than that, Ren is probably my favorite out of the four (or maybe I like the last one more? IDK XD), because he is the cuddliest... well, Hunter is also cuddly, but Ren doesn't really try to destroy your entire arm. Ren also likes belly rubs, which, if you've never seen a cat flop over for belly rubs, it is the cutest thing ever and you are missing out. EDIT: Can't remember the age (but adult). Anyway, let's move on to our last cat...

Pumpkinmist: Weird name, huh? I came up with it. She is a beautiful and unique calico and, when I first saw her, I knew she needed a unique name... this is what my mind came up with... and I don't regret it at all. Anyway, Pumpkinmist is the mother of Ren and Cloud (surprised?), she had them in our house (there were three others in the litter, but one died before it's eyes were even open and the other two were suspected to be taken by coyotes recently, they are the ones named Luna and Storm in my Real Life Pets (RIP) group if you'd like to see what they kinda looked like) and, because of that, she tries to ninja her way into the house from time-to-time (and so does Hunter) XD. She generally doesn't really like to be touched, but she does like to sit close to you and she will allow you to pet her every once in a while (she will run away if she doesn't want to be touched, she never swats at us, therefore, she might be Best Kitty XD). EDIT: Age unknown. Anyway, let's move on to the dog portion!

Rhiley: Rhiley is our baby girl and how I drew her is basically what she looks like 24/7. She always looks like a kicked puppy somehow, even when she smiles, but, I assure you, she's just a diva. Her mother was a regular dachshund (we think) and her father was a miniature dachshund... so, yea, she has the signature long body, but I also like to compare her to Jenna Marble's dog Peach. They just look so similar to me in every way besides color. And, as for personality, Rhiley gets what she wants. If she doesn't, she whines... and complains... loudly. Sometimes, she doesn't even tell you what she wants... but, other than that, she's pretty cuddly... not as cuddly as my baby Speckle (see above) was, but still pretty cuddly... she just squirms. EDIT: Age 7 (almost 8).

Duke: This is the newest addition to our family. We think he's a dachshund/pug mix. We also like to call him 'Spin Cycle', because he always spins when he's excited. He's actually our neighbor's dog, but we took him in because they were too old to take care of him on their own and their nearest family had too many pets themselves (they have at least six dogs, four horses, three donkeys, a few goats, a few ducks, etc.). But, enough about that; personality! This dog is full of it! He's only been here a few days and, after getting over a bit of anxiety, I can now say that he is adorable. If I could show you pictures of him, I would, but I don't think I should considering he's not technically my dog (also, I don't have a way to get the photo, my phone is broken and my computer doesn't have a webcam... and he also doesn't stop moving XD). EDIT: Age 4 6 (we're not actually too sure).

Anyway, those are my pets! Sorry that this is so long, but if you got through that entire thing... then I applaud you... and thank you for showing interest!
Also, if you're wondering, 'How on Earth did you end up with so many pets in the first place?' Well, I have just one sentence that will explain it all:
My dad is a veterinarian.

Have a nice day/night~!

Oh, and, by the way, they are in a drawing of my hallway... that I didn't take any reference photos of, so, it's a rough vision of my hallway (my room is behind the fish tank to the left and my sister's room is directly across, then there would also be a bathroom behind the person who is taking the picture, just for visual).
Last edited by gardog on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

She/They | Adult | Christian
Aries | March 27

Bisexual | INTJ | Ravenclaw
Sings And Plays Guitar

Digital Artist
Oekaki Art Shop | Offsite Art Shop

Loves Pandas | Legally Blind
Has Social Anxiety | Has Anxiety In General

Timezone EST/EDT

gardog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: They're All Together

Postby JK341 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:52 pm

wow, the sense of depth in this one is amazing! And wowzers, all of those kitties, i bet that was awesome having all of those at once!
Adult | He/Him

JK341

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: They're All Together

Postby gardog » Wed May 08, 2019 4:16 pm

J-and-K341 wrote:wow, the sense of depth in this one is amazing! And wowzers, all of those kitties, i bet that was awesome having all of those at once!

Thank you! And, to be honest, I don't remember most of the kitties (there were just... so many). However, I am also allergic to cats (and so is my mom and my sister) if you can believe it, so I couldn't really hang out with them much (unless I washed my hands right after touching them). But, other than that, from what I can remember, it was pretty fun~! :D

She/They | Adult | Christian
Aries | March 27

Bisexual | INTJ | Ravenclaw
Sings And Plays Guitar

Digital Artist
Oekaki Art Shop | Offsite Art Shop

Loves Pandas | Legally Blind
Has Social Anxiety | Has Anxiety In General

Timezone EST/EDT

gardog

My pets
My items