The Pen Pressure Question by kiwipen

Based on Click to view
Artist kiwipen [gallery]
Time spent 6 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
8 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

The Pen Pressure Question

Postby kiwipen » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:27 am

CaligulasPeri wrote:Do you use pen pressure? And do you feel like its easier to draw with or without it?

I actually knew this question would come up sooner or later because of the fact I get commissioned for lineart so frequently. It's usually the thing I get complimented on the most, which I'm super flattered about.

I think it would actually surprise people to know that I get no pen pressure on the Oekaki. My tablet just doesn't like it, nor any of the alternatives I've been offered. I've gotten used to using the Oekaki without pen pressure, though. I can use my boyfriend's tablet on the Oekaki and I get pen pressure, but I honestly hate using pen pressure on the Oekaki when given the chance.

The way I 'mimic' pen pressure for clean lines, however, is based on a tutorial that I found on the old chickensmoothie deviantart. I highly recommend anyone who uses a mouse or doesn't get pen pressure like me to check out the tutorial, it's super insightful and helpful.

For clean lines, I always use the Pencil tool on the Oekaki. It might seem counterintuitive, but the Pen tool on the Oekaki is just a bit blurrier for some reason, but the Pencil tool is actually solid and hard edged, so use that. I also keep my 'smoothing' setting at around 10-20% depending on what I'm lining / how I'm feeling that day. Mouse users or people with shaky arms might want higher or lower settings depending on how they work.

For sketching, I use the Pen tool on the Oekaki. I keep Opacity down to a solid 20% or less usually, as anything higher is just too dark for me to use, and I just use plain old black. Again, also not using pen pressure.

The next section is advice about using Firealpaca and/or Medibang Paint Pro

I would like to preface this by saying Firealpaca and Medibang are my favorite programs to use, art-wise; I have just about every other premium art software you could think of, but I think these two are the best.

When I'm working on the professional artwork I do for a living, I'll start with my 'Sketch Tool' --- it's a modified default Pencil tool. It uses sizing and opacity by pressure, with a minimum width of 65%. The size doesn't matter - it depends on my canvas.

When I'm lining something and I don't want it to look super toony, I'll use my 'Lining Tool' --- it's a modified default Pen tool. It uses sizing by pressure with a minimum width of 40%. I usually keep it to size 2 or 3 to keep the lines crisp and small.

When I'm lining something and I want to go fast or make it look toony, I'll use my 'Thick Line Tool' --- it's a modified default Pen Tool. It uses sizing by pressure with a minimum width of 65%. The size ranges from canvas to canvas. I often times have to erase in the same way I do in the Oekaki, however, as the goal is to make my lines look consistent but professional, and I do think fur details need to be shown, which is something a thicker or blunt brush can't give me.

Now for the final question; Do I find it easier to draw with or without?.
On the Oekaki, it's definitely easier for myself to draw without it, at least until I get to shading. Shading can be really hard without it, as I use the airbrush a lot and it'd be nice to have a bit more control over what I'm doing. However, there are workarounds that I might cover in another question, if someone wants to know.

In my normal art programs, I absolutely find it easier to draw with it. However, it's totally possible for someone to make great artwork without pen pressure!

Just look at this piece I made; entirely on the Oekaki, with no pen pressure.
kiwipen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The Pen Pressure Question

Postby kiwipen » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:28 am

== Please keep additional questions to the main page; you can find that by clicking 'Click to View' next to the 'based on' option underneath the photo. If you have more questions about pen pressure, feel free to ask them below. ==

If you liked this tutorial and found it useful, please leave a nice comment!
kiwipen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me