Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Opinions on My Art by mystea

Artist mystea [gallery]
Time spent 11 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
2 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Opinions on My Art

Postby mystea » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:53 am

Hi there.
I think I'm doing an okay job of drawing and coloring and stuff, but other people don't like to seem it and I'm trying to sell my art currently. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Most of my art is in the Oekaki. Thank you.
mystea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Opinions on My Art

Postby mystea » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:07 am

Agicaljammer wrote:Hi there.
I think I'm doing an okay job of drawing and coloring and stuff, but other people don't like to seem it and I'm trying to sell my art currently. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Most of my art is in the Oekaki. Thank you.
mystea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Morta » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:11 am

Its not that you're doing anything wrong. It's just that you could do some things to improve your art c: everyone has their own style, but there are universal tips for all styles. First, don't be afraid to use references. They honestly make every drawing look so much better. Second, get lots of practice in. It takes practice to improve. It also helps to take inspiration from songs, shows, quotes, and saying. If you're trying to sell your art and it's not working, try lowering the prices or even making free art so people remember you and want your art again. Then , they'll buy your art. Another little tip is to try art on apps other than oekaki. For example, photoshop, paint tool sai, or medibang. I know the art I draw off-site turns out better than the art I draw on-site, just cause other apps offer more tools and options. Just try different styles and techniques until you find something you enjoy. Like I said, just get lots of practice in c:
OwO
Morta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hot Dad » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:13 am

One q, are you trying to be stylistic or realistic?
┌──────────┐

└──────────┘Howdy boys. surprise! Papa Bless, everyone go and love me, yhupppo......
┌──────────┐
└──────────┘
┌──────────┐
└──────────┘
Hot Dad

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mystea » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:31 am

+ Dark Age + wrote:Its not that you're doing anything wrong. It's just that you could do some things to improve your art c: everyone has their own style, but there are universal tips for all styles. First, don't be afraid to use references. They honestly make every drawing look so much better. Second, get lots of practice in. It takes practice to improve. It also helps to take inspiration from songs, shows, quotes, and saying. If you're trying to sell your art and it's not working, try lowering the prices or even making free art so people remember you and want your art again. Then , they'll buy your art. Another little tip is to try art on apps other than oekaki. For example, photoshop, paint tool sai, or medibang. I know the art I draw off-site turns out better than the art I draw on-site, just cause other apps offer more tools and options. Just try different styles and techniques until you find something you enjoy. Like I said, just get lots of practice in c:

Alright, thanks for that advice! I actually do a lot of that though (e.g. Different apps, using refs, practicing, free/cheap art...).
mystea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mystea » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:32 am

Hot Dad wrote:One q, are you trying to be stylistic or realistic?

I'm not sure really. I just want to draw something people like..
mystea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Morta » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:32 am

Agicaljammer wrote:
+ Dark Age + wrote:Its not that you're doing anything wrong. It's just that you could do some things to improve your art c: everyone has their own style, but there are universal tips for all styles. First, don't be afraid to use references. They honestly make every drawing look so much better. Second, get lots of practice in. It takes practice to improve. It also helps to take inspiration from songs, shows, quotes, and saying. If you're trying to sell your art and it's not working, try lowering the prices or even making free art so people remember you and want your art again. Then , they'll buy your art. Another little tip is to try art on apps other than oekaki. For example, photoshop, paint tool sai, or medibang. I know the art I draw off-site turns out better than the art I draw on-site, just cause other apps offer more tools and options. Just try different styles and techniques until you find something you enjoy. Like I said, just get lots of practice in c:

Alright, thanks for that advice! I actually do a lot of that though (e.g. Different apps, using refs, practicing, free/cheap art...).

Just remember that everything takes time.
edit: also, draw for yourself, not for others. Have fun drawing, dont stress out trying to draw something that you hope people will like. Draw stuff you like c: (unless its a commission of course)
OwO
Morta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NyxxofStars » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:38 am

I agree with dark age, and would like to add that many people struggle when first trying to sell their art. Be sure to focus on what you excel at and what sets your art apart! (As an unrelated side note, I very much like your line-less art <3). Remember not just to draw for other people, but for yourself. If you do, you'll find yourself engaging with it more. Other than that, it's really just down to practice and perfecting what you like!
On another note, for more interest from others I suggest you take a very business-like stance. For example, here are a few things that could help you gain customers: a high social media presence (instagram is highly suggested as a platform for commissions, and/or a linked deviantart account), "themed" commission slots (holiday badges, for one, are very popular), and holding contests where the prize is, or includes, some of your art (this not only engages many people, but with "repost/bump to enter" style contests spreads the word about your open slots!). I hope this helps, and let me know if you need any help!
Surviving
ImageImageImage

Gabriel aka the most problematic fav
NyxxofStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Morta » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:39 am

Here are a few helpful refs/visual tips as well:
Wolf Anatomy
More Anatomy + paws
Anatomy + muscle and fur tips
Drawing Anatomy
Wolf heads

(none of the work above is mine, and credit goes to respective owners/creators)
I noticed you draw wolves quite a bit, so here are some visual tips.
OwO
Morta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mystea » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:40 am

NyxxofStars wrote:I agree with dark age, and would like to add that many people struggle when first trying to sell their art. Be sure to focus on what you excel at and what sets your art apart! (As an unrelated side note, I very much like your line-less art <3). Remember not just to draw for other people, but for yourself. If you do, you'll find yourself engaging with it more. Other than that, it's really just down to practice and perfecting what you like!
On another note, for more interest from others I suggest you take a very business-like stance. For example, here are a few things that could help you gain customers: a high social media presence (instagram is highly suggested as a platform for commissions, and/or a linked deviantart account), "themed" commission slots (holiday badges, for one, are very popular), and holding contests where the prize is, or includes, some of your art (this not only engages many people, but with "repost/bump to enter" style contests spreads the word about your open slots!). I hope this helps, and let me know if you need any help!

Alright!
(Thank you :D)
mystea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me