Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Nova Terran "dogs" vs Earthen canines by Scoinwolf

Artist Scoinwolf [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 7 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
10 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Nova Terran "dogs" vs Earthen canines

Postby Scoinwolf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Sizing
Each is proportional to its own world. A full grown Terran dao will always stand at a size far greater than the typical Earthen ones. While in captivity they were of smaller height but, when left to fend for themselves in the wilderness, natural selection lead to a vast increase in build as their favored prey is exceedingly difficult for those of a slight build to take down.
Yellow labs are roughly 75-85 pounds. Nova Terra has a slightly different gravity but on Earth the standard dao would weigh upwards of 250kg with the heaviest Ivarian at 450kg.

Lifespan
Terran dao, in captivity, can live anywhere from 25 to 35 years. In the wild their range is more of 20-25 years.
A lab typically has an estimated 11-16 years

Intelligence
Terran dao outrank any Earthen canine. Their intelligence is on par with that of any human. They use tools and can craft various materials. While the lack of a thumb provides limitations on crafting, these dao have a stash of things scavenged from fallen human settlements as well as those raided from/provided by Daemon villages. Some of their items have been passed down generation to generation with only a select few able to repair or operate such devices.

Language
Dao have their own methods of communication. I write the comic in English though that is not actually how they speak. Their vocal cords offer a greater range than that of an Earthen dog, yes, but not so great as to form the same words. Their writing style differs as well and consists of straight lines that can be etched with ease with chisel or nail.
[image to be added]

Diet
Northern Terrans are accustomed to eating their favored "trail rations". Hunting is poor, though the game is large, and the dao often take what they can to dry into strips. This leather is then typically stored in stacks to be bound around legs - when traveling to unfamiliar hunting grounds - or to be eaten when hunting for the week fails. These sheets are packed densely with calories, often smeared with a fatty paste to add even more, and a single strip can last a lone canine a quarter moon cycle when rationed appropriately.
[insert example]

Prey varies from region to region. The Southerners relied heavily on seafood to augment their land kills. Southerners will eat several times per day but never in large portions.
[insert example of Southern prey]

Easterners and the Central gals have the same hunting stock. They typically require meals every few days.
[mid-range prey]

Westerners take down a massive kill once every moon cycle. They typically feast well and can last for weeks on that one meal alone. Every now and then, throughout the rest of the month, they'll make smaller kills but have little need to eat frequently.
[image]

Miscellaneous
- Earthen dogs have two cones, while Terrans have tetrachromacy (four cones)
- Terrans have retractable claws, similar to Earthen felines
- Terrans are called "dao", while humans were trying to replicate dogs when creating them, but are not actually the same species. The Terrans have more in common with earth's big cats when it comes to DNA sequences even if their appearance more closely resembles that of a canine [see the Evolution Chart for more info]
- just as with the abhumans, some Terran dao have an affinity for magic. Though originally created by mankind, the dao have become part of the Nova Terran world and so are slowly becoming affected by it.
Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning.
Wayward Bound | Not Quite Dogs
Scoinwolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me