Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Star Catcher Sketch Ref by ServerNurse

Artist ServerNurse [gallery]
Time spent 45 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
3 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Star Catcher Sketch Ref

Postby ServerNurse » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:05 pm

I....honestly can't line on the oekaki. I can sketch tho. sketches look fine. when I line however, I have to go over it multiple times to get a solid line and then it looks bulky. oh well. I get to practice drawing these guys on here.

if anyone would like to help with some official lineart for these guys, I have a contest going!
Great prizes, too!
ServerNurse

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Star Catcher Sketch Ref

Postby Susiron » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Ohhh nice; pretty neat anatomy on this fella! I particularly like the head shape and the long tail

And if I may offer a line-arting tip, from a fellow person who hates line-arting--
I find it easiest (and the most fun) to just use my actual sketches for my lines. I copy the sketch layer for safety (hiding the safety version out of sight), and then I just clean up the sketch layer using the eraser and line tool wherever needed. As long as the sketch you start with is sufficiently detailed, it works well regardless of how messy the sketch was going into the process!

Sorry if this isn't a method you'd prefer (or even one you've already tried) but I just thought I'd throw it out there. I definitely understand how frustrating doing lines can be, and just thought I'd share something that's made them much easier for me personally.
Susiron

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Star Catcher Sketch Ref

Postby ServerNurse » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:45 am

@Susiron
Thank you!

as for the lineart, I've only ever had this problem in the Oekaki. it's fine on SAI and Photoshop.

but! I've actually never tried that!
my usual way of doing it is the typical lower the opacity of the sketch layer and line over it.
I never really thought of just cleaning up the sketch itself to be used as the lineart.
I'm going to have to try that next time. thank you for the tips!
ServerNurse

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me