Personal items: A
____white silk shawl with
____bells that don't chime
____and a small lantern
____hung from an antler.

___Tired eyes, barely open,
_____Crippled by a promise broken

_______I have seen an empire falling,
_________Hopeless, can you hear me calling?

╚══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Bright. It was so bright.

From the moment I opened my eyes, all I could feel was the overwhelming sense of light. I don’t remember much from my early days, but I do remember a lot of fussing over me.

I was born into a small tribe of Viscets who all possess an ability of ‘sight’, or to see in ways that others can’t. Some are not born with a sight and are taught later on, and can range from being able to see infrared to being able to see past actions as if they were recorded, even if they were not in that decade. Our tribe, while now small, remains one of the oldest known branches of the ancient times. Our tribe leader, Chronos has a sight rarely known to our tribe; the ability to see into the recent past or near future. As tribe leader, he keeps up safe from potential dangers.

Even more rare, I was born with antlers and did not possess any sight. Antlers are a sign of a Chosen, so from the moment I could walk on my own, I was assigned to Chronos to teach me all that he knew. However as I grew older, I failed to gain any form of sight. Growing frustrated, the tribe leader pushed me even harder. Time passed and my antlers grew larger and more beautiful, but I lacked any ability known to my tribe. It is here I will begin my story;

Dust swirled around my body as I hit the ground fairly hard. I cried out in frustration at my mentor, who only sighed heavily. “I can’t do it, Chronos!” “You can! Everyone in this tribe has the ability to learn a sight, and you’re a Chosen at that!” The dark Viscet growled back, obviously frustrated. If he didn’t have a docked tail, I imagine his tail would be lashing. I stood got up on shaky legs and turned to face him. The feathered Viscet loomed over me, not because he’s tall, but because I can’t stand on my hind legs yet. I started my all-too-familiar rant, “I wasn’t born with a sight, I was born with antlers! Maybe I was born into the wrong tribe after all!” The older sat near me and closed his eyes. “We’ve been over this, Hikaru. You were born here, and you are a new generation of a Chosen. For what reason, I have yet to figure it out, but your day will come.” I looked up at him with soft eyes, knowing he was just doing his best to mentor me. After all, being a Chosen means I will eventually take my place as leader one day. If I can figure out my ability, that is.

“Why don’t we call it a day, Hikaru,” I tilted my head at him, surprised but excited at what might be coming next. I jump in place and stared wide-eyed into Chronos’ heterochromic ones. “Does this mean we can go?” The dark male sighed and nodded, a smile settling on his maw. “I guess, if you want to.” “Let’s go then! It’s gonna be dark soon!” I all but pulled the leader to his feet and dragged him across the clearing. “What’s the rush, young one?” I heard his chuckle from behind me, but responded by tugging on his large paw more. If we were going to make it by dusk, we would have to hurry.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I raced into the clearing, taking in the familiar scents around me. Thin trees enclosed the small clearing, laced with tangled branches above that blocked most of suns rays and speckled the pale dirt with dots of light. Thick underbrush skirting the edges kept in a fair amount of heat and offered protection from the world outside. I found this place on one of my first outings, and have since made it a kind of secret base. More impressive yet was the massive tree on the far end of the clearing, it’s thick roots branched across the entire clearing and twisted and tangled around itself. The trunk of the tree told it’s age; several generations had passed since It was first planted, and many names and tribe markings were carved into the bark. It felt strange being close to it, as if the tree itself pulsed with its own life force.

Chronos padded in shortly after me. I turned to my mentor with a wide smile on my face. He rolled his eyes and sat near the center of the clearing. I lunged at him, playfully tugging at his thick fur and matting his feathers. With a low growl, Chronos let himself fall onto his back, gently kicking up with his hind legs to lift me slightly into the air as I scrambled to get away from him. In times like these, I was thankful for him. Not only was Chronos my tribe leader and mentor, but above that he was a close friend. Even if he will never admit it, he likes me as if I was his own and won’t push me past my limit. At least not too far. He still has to teach me how to see, after all.

I rolled off of him and ran off to the side, ripping up a few flowers with my teeth and padded back to tangle them into the dark Viscets thick mane. The sky began to turn crimson and the sun sunk ever lower into the sky, turning clearing a dull orange hue. Chronos sat up suddenly, his body tense. “What?” I asked softly, sure that he was seeing something. He mumbled something as his fur bristled and he began to frantically look around. I backed up to give him room as the feathered Viscet took in a shaky breath; his eyes remained calm and distant as always. After a few seconds that seemed like hours, he focused his chilly gaze on me. “Hikaru,” he began and moved closer to me, his voice a whisper. I stood on my tiptoes as he leaned down to harshly whisper to me, his voice growing uneven as he spoke.

“Listen to me. Stay here, I’ll be right back.” I tilted my head, “Chronos? What do you-“ “Stay here!” His voice rose, and I flinched back at his tone but slowly nodded. He stood tall and looked down at me, his bright eyes holding a hint of sadness in them. I sat on the cool dusty earth and watched him pad calmly out of the clearing, hearing his footsteps grow frantic as he ran away from the clearing.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I awoke with a start, a distant sound roaring from somewhere not too far away. I scrambled to my feet in the makeshift den I made in the roots under the huge ancient tree and raced to the entrance of the clearing. My heart dropped, my heartbeat thudding in my ears and drowned out all other noise. Just on the horizon, in the area where my tribe marked its territory and made camp, a vicious wildfire blazed in the middle of the dark night. I wanted to run home, but my legs shook with each breath I took, the promise I made to Chronos echoing in my ears. Is this what he saw? Did he make it back in time to get everyone out? One question rose above the rest, and tears filled my eyes. Is Chronos ok? What about me?

I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding, and my legs moved on their own. I bolted down the path in the direction of camp, my mind racing. Each breath took more effort, and I can feel the energy draining from my body. I collapsed on the cold ground, breathing in dusty earth and feeling the ache as I hit the ground hard. I twisted my head up and cried out, but the world felt dizzy. Soon after, darkness fell over me and my thoughts swirled into nothing.

----- ----- ----- -----

I awoke once again, and the night was still dark. I felt light, but not in a bad way. Getting to my feet, I realized my body no longer ached. I chanced a look around and took in the sight of the familiar path. Ah, right. I collapsed here, looking down, my eyes widen at the sight. Where I fell is where I stay, as I stand staring down at my still form lying on the ground, covered in dust. Looking down at myself, I appeared the same, except more faded and pale. Looking back at my collapsed form in front of me however, I was more stunned by the sight of my antlers. On the still lifeless form of myself lying in front of me, the base of my antlers pulsed a faint glow. The tip of my tail glowed in the same kind of way, and I leaned closer to get a better look. I gasped at the sight; the faint pink glow flowed through my antlers and the tip of my tail, almost as if it was a life source.

Faint footsteps jolted me out of my thoughts and I nervously glanced around, still standing over my unconscious form. “Hello?” I offered in a small voice, but was surprised when I actually received an answer. “Hikaru?” I ran toward the voice to meet another pale Viscet, whom I recognized as part of my tribe. Their eyes widen in surprise and then fill with sadness upon seeing me. “Oh, Hikaru, I thought-“ They trailed off, their voice shaky before continuing, “I thought you were safe.” Tilting my head, I asked softly, “Safe? Of course I’m ok, what do you mean?” The other Viscet took me in close, but the embrace was cold. “Chronos warned us, but even he couldn’t predict its fury. We couldn’t escape in the end, but we hoped that the Chosen was safe,” The other viscet paused, tears in their eyes. “So this is how our tribe finally dies off.”

I pulled away from the embrace; the confused look only stronger in my features. “Of course I’m safe? Chronos told me to wait at our secret base, I woke up and saw the fire and tried to run home but fell and…”

The older tribe member looked at me through sad eyes, sighing in understanding. “Hikaru, we’re no longer in the world of the living.” My eyes go wide. We’re not…? Does that mean… I look back at where my form lay on the dusty path, my antlers glowing brighter than ever. No. I’m still connected. I shook my head, and pushed off the large paw holding my shoulder. “No. I think I finally understand.” The elder looked confused, but was willing to hear me out. I glanced around before looking up at my late tribe member. “Can you take me to the others?” They hesitantly nodded, and let the way towards the fire-charred camp.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

We walked slowly through the charred forest, ash swirling in the dirt underfoot. As we entered the camp, I was greeted with mixed reactions of my tribe-mates. Some shocked, some knowing, some disappointed, but all had fallen to the same fate evident from their pale translucent appearance. But I was most disappointed by Chronos, or perhaps by the lack of him in sight. I greeted each member with sorrow, passing final words and the horror of that they had endured in their final few moments. But something filled within me, maybe the sense of being a Chosen, and I stood tall in the center of the clearing, balancing unsteadily on my hind legs for the first time. The few remaining tribe members gathered around me with ears tilted forward, and I began, “Where is Chronos?” I was met with gasps and a few Viscets shifted their gaze.

“He left us.” A voice called from my side, and another spoke up shortly after, “He rushed back to warn us, but in trying to lead us out he fled when things got too bad.” No. That doesn’t sound like Chronos. “Are you sure?” I ventured, but was met with snarls and a hiss from someone behind me. “Unless you know another dark-pelt, short-tailed and feathered Viscet.” The voice was challenging, and I took a step back, half because I was losing balance on my hind legs. “I-I’m sorry,” I apologized in behalf of my leader and mentor, but an idea swirled in the back of my mind, “Could you all follow me? I want to show you guys something.” Strange looks and hesitant nods followed, and I let the way out of our camp for the last time.

----- -----

“Hikaru, you…” “You’re not…?” “How?” Harsh whispers of confusion erupted from the few tribe members that followed my careful footsteps. Upon coming across my physical body, the whispers and rumors began to swirl among them. At my feet, my physical form still lay in the dust, my tail and antlers still surging with that glowing pink life force, most likely still tying me to the realm of the Living. I tried to explain, and they grew silent, nodding their approval after thinking it over. One offered a murmur, “You’re the Chosen after all, Hikaru. No wonder you couldn’t learn a sight, that wasn’t your gift to learn.” Another added in, “Be careful hun, if you lose your physical body in your wanderings you may not be able to return to the Living. Huh. Good point.

I nodded, speaking my ideas aloud, “Perhaps if I had some beads or bells or something-“ One cut off my thoughts, interrupting in a rather sarcastic tone, “And how do you expect to hear the jingling if you’re not moving?” “Ah, right…” I shook my head, trying again, “some kind of light, then.” The others nodded their approval, a chuckle heard from the back of the group, “A light in the dark, huh?” I took note of the idea and continued down the path towards my secret base.

Once in the clearing, the night was beginning to ebb into dawn, a pale light beginning to fill the stuffy air. My tribe-mates looked around the small clearing, and I could feel the tension ease as the protection of the underbrush and tangles of leaves above. “This is my personal retreat, where Chronos and I hang out after my training.” The tribe chatted amongst themselves for a while, wandering throughout the clearing and looking around before one of them stepped away from the group and approached me. “Hikaru,” they began, glancing back at the remaining tribe before turning back. They put a paw on my shoulder, and sighed with a smile on their face, “you can’t stay here.” “Why-“ “Listen. We don’t have a tie to the Living world any more. We’re too far gone. But you! You’re so young, and can still do things with your life. We will stay here for as long as we can, but you-“ “I’m staying too! The tribe is all that I’ve ever known!” I interrupted, my eyes wide and suddenly overwhelmed.

“No!” The arm on my shoulder tensed, and another tribe member spoke up, “Hikaru, you are a Chosen. You have things yet to do in your life, so go live it.” That sentence echoed into my very being, and I understood. I gave a faint nod before taking a step back. “I’m sorry,” I whispered, tears threatening to fall from my eyes. “I wasn’t there to help when you needed it.” A tribe member pulled me into another cold embrace, and they spoke close to my ear. “Don’t ever apologize for being alive, Hikaru. We’re all glad you escaped our fate, thanks to Chronos’ quick thinking. The tribe will live on through you, just don’t forget about us.” I sniffled, wiping my eyes before taking one last look at my pale tribe-mates and the spirit-filled clearing before hurrying back to where my physical form collapsed hours before.

The sun had risen just above the horizon before I reached my collapsed form once again. The pink glow still flowing through my tail and antlers, I reached out to grab at my fur. I… can’t feel anything? I don’t go through it, but a strange feeling like touching something through a layer of gloves. I chanced a touch at my antlers, and I felt the solid bone under my paw pads. Gasping at the warm touch, the life force almost making my collapsed form vibrate with unseen life. Tracing the rough texture with my claws, I began to feel a strange pull. Grabbing at the base of my horns, I felt the life force surge through me and I fell into unconsciousness once again.

When I awoke, dust choked in my throat and the ash blowing in the wind stung my nose and eyes. I tried to stand, but was overwhelmed by the ache in my body and shaky limbs. I sighed, wanting nothing more than to curl up and sleep, my eyes heavy and watering. Finally getting to my feet, I make my way to my clearing, wondering if my tribe is all right. Upon arriving, however, I am met with the familiar sight of an empty clearing. A cold wind blew through the clearing, and I felt a chill go down my spine. A glint caught my eye, and I picked up a lone candleholder, small enough to handle easily, yet bright enough to catch a wandering eye. In the middle sat a lone candle, it’s bright yellow flame easily contained by glass walls. I smiled and picked it up, remembering a conversation that seemed to take place too long ago. I slipped the loop around my left antler and felt the weight of it, but not too offsetting. A reminder, I guess.

Next to where the candle sat was a silky white shawl, adorned with silver bells. I picked it up, but the bells didn’t chime. Ah, so I don’t even get a chance to hear the bells. I chuckled to myself and tied it around my neck. Now content, I turned to pad out of the empty clearing, feeling a surge of pride. I attempted to stand on my hind legs once again, and surprised myself when I didn’t struggle as much as I thought I would. Taking my first steps on my hind legs, I walked out of my secret base as a new Viscet. Setting off down the path, I didn’t look back. I knew what I was to do as a Chosen, but with new meaning. No longer able to support my tribe as a leader, I can now guide lost souls of the fallen to a final resting place in peace.

My destiny was not Chosen to be a seer, but rather a guide being tied to both the Living world and the Dead. But one thing continued to bother me several years after that night. Where is Chronos? Why can I not find him, in the Living or the Fallen realm? The warm feelings of friendship I had once felt towards my mentor had fizzled into a sort of anger and hatred. You left me, I long to tell him. You lied to me, I would growl, forcing him to explain himself. As days grew longer, my uncertainty and confusion grew as well. He knew this would happen. He saw it that day, that’s why he left me there. I knew he was doing it to protect me, but I couldn’t shake off this feeling that there was something else. The tribe leader kept many secrets, everyone knew this. But why was I left alone?

Years passed, things hardly changed. I grew strong from my travels and learned to control my ability, all the while the glowing life force flowing through my antlers and tail more often than not. The bells around my neck giving me constant reminder of my surroundings, proving that just because you can’t hear or see something doesn’t mean it’s not there. Each day I push on, driven by a desire to do by best but also hoping to find my lost mentor and leader. But until that day comes, I wander and guide lost souls who call out to me. (3,406)

Personality:
Once a cheerful and outgoing viscet, Hikaru is now mostly silent and reserved. She acts with her heart and has a hard time forgiving the wrong doings of others, and is very stubborn once she has set her mind to something. Hikaru moves at her own pace and in her own way, confusing others when an easier option is available. She is very anxious and overthinks small details, causing Hikaru to avoid a lot of situations.

About her items:

Shawl:
One of two items found in the ghostly clearing, Hikaru has worn the white silky shawl around her neck since that night. It's silky texture catches the light and gives off a beautiful shine. Silver bells adorn the bottom, attached with a thin lace that sways when moved. The bells glint a brilliant silver under any light. The bells never chime, and always remain silent.

Lantern
The second and final item found that night, Hikaru dangles a small lantern from her left antler as a guide for herself. The lantern, while small, gives off a bright glow despite the small flame in the center. The top is pointed, but not sharp, and flares down umbrella-like into four points to form a warped diamond look. It's gold lining catches the light and makes the glow appear ever so slightly brighter.

______
Can you tell me what is real?
_'Cause I've lost my way again.

___Can you tell me how to feel?
____'Cause I don't feel anything now that I'm down here again.

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰

____ Plants ___________ Time to herself
____ Quiet ___________ Streams
____ Bitter foods ______ Rain and thunderstorms

Dislikes

____ Being wet_________ Overly sweet foods
____ Lying/Lied to______ Contact with others
____ Fish______________ Hot and humid weather
Playlist;

Down with the fallen - We are the brave - Shatter me - Ghost of me

“Chronos…?” My breath caught in my throat, and my heartbeat drumming in my ears. My eyes glued to the heterochromic ones of my old mentor and tribe leader, as the dark Viscet sat alone in the familiar clearing of my old base. “What are you…?” My blood boiled at the sight of his all too familiar form, but I couldn’t fully wrap my head around this. After all these years, here he is. My mind went blank.

“Hikaru, so you made it…” His voice rang across the clearing, and his voice stirred old emotions once again. “You lied to me!” “Listen, I-“ “I waited here like you said, and what did you do? You went and disappeared! Not only from me, but from the entire tribe!” My voice raised in a way I never imagined, but I was livid. Chronos didn’t move from his spot, and didn’t try to speak until I had let off a little. When he spoke again, his voice was calm, “Hikaru, I never wanted to leave. I saw what was to happen, and tried to get everyone to safety. When the fire got out of control, the pack started to grow out of control and I picked up my pace, not knowing they couldn’t keep up. When I stopped to look around, I was alone.” He looked down at his paws, then back up and met my hard gaze, his eyes soft that brought back memories. “What I felt when I realized I was not only alone, but lost my tribe, I felt lost. What kind of leader am I? I outran my own tribe, rather than sticking with them…” He trailed off, and I could predict his next few words. I stepped closer to him and repeated the same words that changed my life so many years ago in the very spot,

“Don’t apologize for being alive, Chronos. You’re alive, live it.” His eyes flashed with something I thought was pride, and he moved to hug me, but I quickly stepped away, not forgetting the years to hatred that and bubbled within me. I hissed at him from a safe distance, “Where were you all this time.” I challenged, ruffling my fur. He moved to the far end of the clearing, where the ancient tree twisted every which way into the sky. The last time I had been here was the day I walked away without looking back, but I felt a strange feeling of returning home recently, so I had traveled back to this clearing. While traveling here, I felt a sense of… being pulled here? I couldn’t put my paw on it, but I stood in front of my old mentor nonetheless.

“Did you feel it too, Hikaru?” Chronos asked, placing a paw on the rough bark of the ancient tree, and I moved a bit closer to him, the cool dust of the earth familiar and welcome under my paws as I walked across the clearing. Feel? Feel what? A cold chill swirled through the clearing and carried the faint smell of ash that jolted me out of my thoughts. Chronos looked back at me, a slight smirk across his face as I seemed to understand. “I guess I did,” I sighed, somewhat understanding. I shook my head, remembering my unanswered question. I growled, lashing my tail, “Answer the question, Chronos.” The dark male was only slightly taller than I now, and much less threatening than when I was a viscetling. He put his hands up and chuckled, “Alright, alright. Calm down, young one.”

“After I found myself alone, I didn’t know what to do. I tried to rush back into the camp, but it was too late. Hoping you had listened to me, I followed the path up to this place, only to find your body as well. I… I couldn’t bring myself to move you, so I returned to the camp. After several days, I decided to move here, after feeling myself being drawn here. Your body was gone, and I assumed someone… something picked you up and you were gone. I’ve been here since then. I guess the better question would be, where have you been all this time? Did you forget our promise?” I was in shock. All this time, I had thought he had been the one to forget, but the more I thought about it… I guess I was the one who had broken the promise, hadn’t I? I raised my head to the sky and let out a laugh, which startled Chronos a bit. There would be plenty of time to explain my experiences over the past few years, after all.

I settled lay down on the dusty ground and take in my familiar surroundings. I’m home at last. Chronos looked down at me confused, but with a smile on his face. He settles down nearby and makes no intention to start the conversation. I swallowed the lump in my throat and began recounting my life up till now, “Well, after you left that night...”

The rest of the day was filled with my experiences over the last few years, and even Chronos wasn’t able to see some of them. Night fell and I felt familiar presences around me, but went unseen to the both of us. I knew better, however. We weren’t alone, and we never would be again. (896)

▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰ ▰

Art, coding and character concept belong to me (silversamurai).
General information: Username; SilverSamurai - Name; Hikaru -
Gender; DFAB female - Sexuality; Asexual
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to try out for this lovely viscet, I adore all of the designs you have made as GA! Good luck to everyone else competing as well c:

Yo, I'm Silver and like talking with people and making new friends.
I enjoy music, birds, anime/manga, video games, and art. Feel free to send over a message whenever if you'd like to chat!

A lot is happening right now, but I'm doing my best

"I fell apart, but got back up again,"
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Hikaru

Postby ChiaDragon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 am

she's so beautiful!!! great design, and story! your a good writer and artist ^-^

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
ChiaDragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me