Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

one of these again by broker

Artist broker [gallery]
Time spent 18 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
7 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

one of these again

Postby broker » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:21 am

Wanted to make a quick message about something that's been on my mind--as a clarification this is my opinion and advice is to be used at your own discretion ♡

People think happiness is some kind of right. Because in feeling unhappy, we are underprivileged, and we are the victims of a bad life.

Where as in reality--that's not true at all. Happiness is a gift. It's such a gift, in fact, it's a virtue.

But the best thing about happiness it is what you make of it. I'm not saying plaster a smile on your face and tell everyone "you're fine" because that's just dishonesty and beating yourself up. I'm talking about being not okay with something--but giving the situation a second chance. Being optimistic about it.

Take for example, you've just planned a great outing with your friends. You have the day off, you're prepared, got your new set of clothes on, and then all of a sudden your friends are held up, and unable to attend the outing. That would be extremely disappointing. So much in fact it might spiral you into a bad mood for the rest of the day. Or it'd only be a passing thought--depending on what you make of it.

Sure you could be angry with your friends, be angry with yourself, feel bad for yourself, cry, yell--but the only thing you're doing is making life worse. You're not a victim to a bad life, you're a victim to yourself.

It's hard not to be disappointed of course. You might be sad at first--but pull yourself away from that sadness. Start making other plans with other friends or family. Your whole day just opened up, you can seize it, and do whatever you'd like. Perhaps you could set up some video game challenges for yourself, go on a walk with your dog, eat some ice cream and watch cartoons, etc.

I'm not saying to "shut up" your feelings--if you're honestly upset over something, it's healthy to rant to a friend or a sibling about it. Don't be afraid to be express your sadness, just don't let yourself swim in your sorrows. (For example, if you vent about the situation--and it only makes you feel worse--so you vent more, continuing this repetitive, deadly cycle, you're swimming in sorrow. There's something that you're refusing to forgive, and "letting go" is so important in that step to happiness)

And there are people in this world who suffer from chronic depression/anxiety. Simply trying to make the better of the situation won't be enough for them, they need therapy, help and support. I completely respect and acknowledge that, and if you suffer from any depression you have my sympathies and best wishes for future endeavors.

But there are many, many people in this world, who chose to be depressed. Who chose to be a victim to themselves. I know because I've fallen into this illusion of, "it's all about me" I was miserable day to day because "I'm not getting anything done, my life is such a waste" "I have such a bad headache, I'm sick all the time, it's not fair" "Why is life so mean to me." when in reality--the only reason I wasn't happy, was because I was deliberating choosing to be unhappy by victimizing myself.

I'm not sure how hard the journey to, "turning on the light" "seeing the glass half full" will be for others--but I know it's possible. And if it's possible, doesn't that make you have even the tiniest bit of hope?

Hope everyone's having a happy summer ♡
    {inspired by OBJECTION! and a post he made off-site}
broker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me