Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

✻ ochieng, a genetics-based species | advent calendar by mars

Artist mars [gallery]
Time spent 5 hours, 20 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
71 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

by mars

by mars

✻ ochieng, a genetics-based species | advent calendar

Postby mars » Mon May 08, 2017 9:24 am

art of our mascot by the very talented Krycifer !! :D

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

headquarters | about | staff | nursery | fanclub | shop | bank | archives

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

welcome to the headquarters of ochieng, a species of mammal created with the help of genetics !!

a knowledge of genetics is not required to participate in the species, but it can come in handy for planning future breedings. if you want to learn more about how ochieng dna works, check out this post!

rules:
- everyone starts with one permit, allowing them to own one ochieng; however, you can earn or purchase an infinite amount of permits with exp, pets, or c$! check out the store for more information.
- ochieng mate for life, and must earn enough exp with their partner before they can be bred. the nursery contains any other rules regarding breedings and mateships.
- ochieng may not be transferred outside of the species without permission from ciiel, the species owner.
- ciiel and her staff have the right to confiscate any ochieng from an owner who breaks multiple rules, resulting in a ban. staff must consult ciiel upon the matter if they think a ban should be implemented, in which case ciiel will allow staff to state their opinions and vote on the decision. in the end, ciiel ultimately has the power to decide whether or not to ban users from her species, but she will take the staff's opinions into great consideration as they do very much to help her with the species.

customs:
custom permits are awarded to staff members for their hard work and do not count toward their regular permit limit! artists can earn one custom for every five designs they create, while moderators, archivists, and other staff members earn one custom every month they are active. all customs must be approved by ciiel!
Last edited by mars on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 15 times in total.

화성 여성 레즈 감각처리장애 + 광장공포증

hi !! I'm mars, a gal with spd + agoraphobia.
I frequent the oc + adoptables side of cs.

my interests rn include genshin, skz,
learning languages, and drawing !! :3c

my cs inbox is full so please chat w/ me
on discord @ mars_v_e

나는 네가 자랑스럽다. 계속 최선을 다하거라 ♡

mars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

about the species & systems

𝔸𝔹𝕆𝕌𝕋

𝚘𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚐: 𝚊𝚗 𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚗 𝚊𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚗𝚊𝚖𝚎 𝚖𝚎𝚊𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 '𝚋𝚘𝚛𝚗 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚞𝚗 𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚜'; 𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚍 𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚕𝚞𝚘 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚐, 𝚖𝚎𝚊𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 '𝚜𝚞𝚗'.

• ochieng are medium-sized viverrids, belonging to the genus viverridae. they are closely related to genets, civets, binturongs, and linsangs, but unlike their cousins that mostly live in tropical rainforests and other dense forests, ochieng have adapted to live in the warm savannas of africa, surrounding the african linsang's range.

• singular and plural forms of the name are both the same: ochieng !!

• like other viverrids, ochieng are omnivores. they hunt at dusk and dawn, preying upon small mammals such as mice or eating soft plant sprouts.

• ochieng have five toes on both their front and back feet, with semi-retractable claws.

• all ochieng have a distinct set of markings on their neck, once known as the 'snake collar' by native tribal people living in the region. the only ochieng that do not have this marking are true albinos and melanistics, as the genes responsible for the pigment in their fur are completely overridden, resulting in a solid white or solid black coat!

• all ochieng have spots or stripes, unless, like mentioned above, they are true albinos or melanistics.

- - -

𝕊𝕐𝕊𝕋𝔼𝕄𝕊

ochieng has many features, including a shop, nursery, and bank that run on an experience system. this system consists of three types of experience: participation exp, breeding exp, and total exp. exp is recorded in the exp bank.

types of exp

participation exp is exp that the user can use to purchase items in the shop. this form of exp can be gained by drawing, writing about, or roleplaying your ochieng, and there is no limit on how much participation exp you can earn! you can also earn exp by drawing the mascot or another user's ochieng which is particularly handy if you don't have an ochieng yet!

breeding exp is exp that is earned exclusively for breeding your ochieng by drawing, writing about, or roleplaying your ochieng and their mate. once you have reached a certain number of exp, you can use this to breed them! the more breeding exp you earn, the more children your ochieng can have when you redeem your exp for kits. you can learn more about breeding exp on the nursery page <3

total exp is the complete amount of exp a user has earned. this type of exp cannot be used to purchase items, but all forms of exp are included in this amount and it never goes away. as the amount grows, users can earn rewards by reaching certain milestones, including customs!

honorable mentions

ochieng also has an honorable mention system where you can earn exp from not winning adopt competitions, but coming close. artists can give out hms to users that they don't want to leave empty handed for their exceptional forms! they can give a maximum of three hms per contest, each earning 200 exp. unfortunately we do not offer runner ups, but there will always be more competitions in the future <3
Last edited by mars on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 am, edited 8 times in total.

화성 여성 레즈 감각처리장애 + 광장공포증

on discord @ mars_v_e

mars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

staff

𝕊𝕋𝔸𝔽𝔽

➳ palla / ciiel ♥ | admin

"hey, nice to meet you !! I'm your average neighborhood seal who
draws things and is a science nerd. I also really like k-pop (◕ᴥ◕)"

Sei it | mod

"Hey I'm Sei! Digital artist and maker of bad puns, please feel free to message me with
any questions, concerns, to report a rulebreaker anonymously or even to chat c: "

watchdog. | artist

"friendly neighborhood watch dog"

Krycifer | archivist

"Hey! I'm Kry, but you can call me Ryan. I'm a trans dude who's mid-transition and loves drawing and animals more than ever. If you ever need
help or have questions or just want to talk, don't be afraid to hit me up! I'm generally very friendly and slowly becoming more outgoing~"
Last edited by mars on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 am, edited 6 times in total.

화성 여성 레즈 감각처리장애 + 광장공포증

on discord @ mars_v_e

mars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

shop

Postby mars » Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 am

𝕊ℍ𝕆ℙ

this shop runs on the experience system that is mentioned above. this consists of three types of experience: participation exp, breeding exp, and total exp. this shop allows purchases from participation exp only! you can check your exp in the exp bank.

the exp system can be bypassed if you'd like to purchase items sooner, as items can also be purchased for pets and c$. prices in each currency will be listed with each item available for purchase.

redeeming exp

fill out the form below linking to any art or writing you have done, then send it to ciiel via a pm titled 'ochieng exp count' to have your exp counted. once your exp has been updated in the bank, you can use it to purchase more slots, customs, or various items :)

• each drawing will earn at least 50 exp. it must be a clean sketch at the minimum, although you can earn more from lining (+50), coloring (+50), adding a background (+50), and/or animating (+100)! backgrounds must not be a single, solid color and must have some effort put into them if they are to count for extra.

• writing must be a minimum of 250 words to earn 50 exp. each additional 250 words will earn you 50 more :)

• exp counts separately for each ochieng included in your piece! this means that including two ochieng doubles your exp, three ochieng triples it, etc

Code: Select all
[u][b]I'd like to earn exp !![/b][/u]

username;;
link to image/writing;; [url=URLHERE][x][/url]

available items

the following items are currently available for purchase:

none, sorry !! please check back later for more.

to purchase an item, send a pm to ciiel titled 'ochieng shop purchase' with the following form:

Code: Select all
[u][b]I'd like to buy an item !![/b][/u]
username;;
item(s) you're buying;;
total cost;;
Last edited by mars on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

화성 여성 레즈 감각처리장애 + 광장공포증

on discord @ mars_v_e

mars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

genetics

Postby mars » Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 am

𝔾𝔼ℕ𝔼𝕋𝕀ℂ𝕊

*picture references coming soon*

ochieng are based on genetics and how they work in real life, most similarly to those in dogs which you can learn more about here! this website explains the basics very well, definitely better than I could. reading over the basic terms can help you understand genetics a lot better, but if you still can't get the hang of it, feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to explain! :)

there are many different colors and markings than can appear in an ochieng's coat, and these markings can be inherited by their children. we use simple punnett squares to determine the markings and colors children will inherit. this is a guide to every marking available in the species!

if alleles in the dominance chart (ex: K > k) have an equal sign between them, they will appear together due to incomplete dominance. some locii, such as the S locus, display incomplete dominance at nearly all times!

K locus, base colors

K > k

all ochieng have a base fur color.

K: dominant black; makes fur color a dark brown, does not show A locus
k: recessive non-black; allows the A locus to show

a dominant black ochieng will still have genes on the A locus, it is just unable to display them.

some examples of brown ochieng:

B locus, liver

B > b

B: non-liver
b: liver

the B locus can interact with the D locus to create other coat colors. keep reading for info more on this!

some examples of liver ochieng:

D locus, dilution

D > d

D: non-dilute
d: dilute

the B locus can interact with the D locus to create other coat colors. these are four possible color combinations:

BBDd or BBDD - brown (non-liver, non-dilute)
BBdd or Bbdd - blue/silver (non-liver, dilute)
bbDd or bbDD - liver (liver, non-dilute)
bbdd - isabella/pearl (liver, dilute)

some examples of blue/silver ochieng:

some examples of isabella/pearl ochieng:

C locus, chinchilla

C = Cch = Ce > ca

chinchilla determines the amount of red pigmentation visible in red markings/bases :)

C: red
Cch: fawn
Ce: cream
ca: albino

combinations in order from lightest to darkest:
caca, CeCe/Ceca, CchCe, CCe/CchCch/Cchca, CCch, CC/Cca

some examples of cream, fawn, and red ochieng:

some examples of an albino ochieng:

G locus, graying

G > g

graying de-saturates an ochieng's base color slightly unless the coat is already blue/silver.

G: no graying
g: graying

some examples of graying on a brown ochieng:

F locus, melanism

melanism makes an ochieng appear a very dark brown or black. red or black markings can appear faintly underneath!

F: no melanism
f: melanism

some examples of a melanistic ochieng:

A locus, various markings

asa > ash = at

if an ochieng is not KK or Kk (dominant black), it will show markings from the A locus.

asa: saddle; creates a red section on the underside of the animal that leaves only a small section on the back a darker color
ash: shaded; causes the base color to become shading down the back, legs, and muzzle, lightens the main color of the coat where is isn't shaded
at: tan points; creates red areas along the face, chest, legs, and tail

min and max saddle:

an example of saddle:

min and max tan points:

an example of tan points:

spots and stripes

all ochieng show spots and/or stripes unless they are melanistic or albino.

S locus, white markings

S > sl = si = sp = sc

although white markings can make it harder for ochieng to survive in the wild, they do not significantly impact survival unless they are large. ochieng with large white markings are rarer than those with smaller ones for this reason!

S: no white
sl: locket, a small white patch on the chest
si: irish, white on the chest, face, stomach, and paws
sp: piebald, white covering most of the body that creates patches of color on the body
sc: capped (aka turkish van), white covering everything but a small patch of color on the top of the head and tip of the tail

all markings on the S locus, besides a lack of white, display incomplete dominance. if an ochieng is genetically sisp, it will have white markings somewhere in between irish and piebald!

genetic mutations

M > mu

sometimes an ochieng is be born with an extremely rare genetic mutation. these usually impact life for the ochieng, making it difficult for them to survive in the wild without other ochieng to help them.

M: non-munchkin, regular length of legs
m: munchkin, shorter legs

- - -

to write out:
- partial albinism (paled coat)
- melanism
- leucism
- white markings
- underbelly
- black, blue, liver, isabella
- shades of red/fawn, chinchilla
- agouti
- eye colors
- abundism/pseudo-melanism
- freckle
- spots/stripes (civet, genet, tapir, quoll, cheetah, giraffe, leopard, ocelot, tiger, mackerel tabby)
- spot/stripe mutations (changes cheetah to king cheetah or freckles, mackerel tabby to classic tabby, etc)
Last edited by mars on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:23 am, edited 10 times in total.

화성 여성 레즈 감각처리장애 + 광장공포증

on discord @ mars_v_e

mars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: ✻ ochieng, a genetics-based species

Postby Placebo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 am

mark! ;0;
heehee pubbyyy my pupitro
pupperino
pupcup
p
my dog
by shawty!
Placebo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby doktor monty » Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 am

xxmarking!
                ✦ { dok/stephvthey/he/any occasionally online } ✦
              Howdy! I'm on here as often as I have the energy for it, so everything might be a little delayed with me! Feel free to check out my semi/open adopts, and if you're feeling adventurous click my dragoncave eggs too- my children thank you. Have a great day <3
doktor monty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kittykore » Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 am

MARK
──-────────────────────
bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio

────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░█████████████████ █
──-────────────────────

────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
███░█████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──-───────────────
coding credit kalons art shop
toyhouse

bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio

───────────────-──
███░█████████████ █
kittykore

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby steamplonk » Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 am

mark! these look fantastic already
quittin'
blease don't msg me asking for stuff
tysm
steamplonk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gizmutt » Mon May 08, 2017 10:12 am

Mark! I love these as well
So say goodbye to the old, and hello to that rainbow road ...
Gizmutt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me