Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Sky Stuff! by clouds-move-on

Artist clouds-move-on [gallery]
Time spent 43 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
25 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Sky Stuff!

Postby clouds-move-on » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:25 am

So a user asked me how I designed this kitty and so here we go! Small tutorial, hope it helps some of you!

DISCLAIMER:
I am not really an expert on skys. ouo But this is my style and I hope it helps inspire others to develop theirs.
Also, feel free to go nuts and experiment further!
Art doesn't have any exact rules, it's your imagination afterall! Go for it.

- - -

First, draw the base colors. The sky is lighter to the ground and darker as it goes higher, both day and night! You can go with any typical sky colors, from blues, to blacks, to sunset hues.

Usually I use the PEN brush (any visible opacity) to make the stars. Draw each individually. The scatter brush helps sometimes, if set high enough,along with spacing, but I suggest first doing as many individually as possible. Use brush size 1 or 2 for most stars. Also, draw some bigger and some smaller, and some like a “sparkle” or + shape. White and off-white colors, as well as yellows, work best!

To make it look more “sparkly” duplicate the star layer and set it on overlay. Then use the “blur” tool (shaped like a teardrop) to blur it; make sure afterwards to set lock alpha on the layers and recolor the new blurred marks completely white (as oekaki makes blurred images have black edges).

After that, lower the opacity of the non-blurred stars (try not to go beyond the 40s). You can also duplicate the blur level to brighten it! For extra sparkle, use the “add” layer setting, although be careful, and be sure to put the opacity down or it might look too stark.

Feel free to add extra glow with airbrush! Set it on “add” or “overlay” so it looks brighter.

You can then (if you want to add a more fantasy or colorful look) do any of these to add extra color!
You can edit the ORIGINAL base sky layer to mix up different hues.
Or, you can make a new layer/duplicate the sky layer, move it above (or under, depends) the star layers and overlay/add/burn/screen it (play around with settings!).
You can also try your best to avoid using any settings, but you’ll have to figure out the exact colors you want!
There are really no rules to this, just experiment until you have something you like!

Here I just have the sky later duplicated and overlaid to look a “richer” hue. I’ll stick with that one.

Now, clouds!
Draw the outline of the clouds first. Technically you can do this however you want, however the light from the moon/stars/sun should be hitting the whitest/most clear parts.
Use the airbrush for this! Don’t be afraid to erase and start over, also you can, with the “faded” eraser, make the edges lighter in some parts.

From there, lower the airbrush’s opacity. For my basic “wispy” looking clouds, I leave only the outlines darker and the rest pale and visibly see-through. You can also overlay/add/screen this layer as you will.
If you want a heavier looking clouds, for a thunder storm, add grays, blacks, and dark blues. The bottom cloud is a quick example here!

Afterwards:
GO NUTS! Have fun! Skys are fun to play around with and don't be scared of them. c:

Extra note:
Don't forget to look up references, too! Though it's up to you how realistic your drawing'll be.

- - -

I have some examples (please do not copy, just examples) of my art that I've drawn galaxy and skys on, with a similar fashion to this tutorial! Click to see full size. :)

Image ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by clouds-move-on on Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

- John 13:34-35

ImageImageImage
2/24/24
temp open to doing stars myos off oekaki for 100+ c$s... dm me

I am no longer active on CS.
- I am keeping all my characters that I haven't readopted out myself, dont ask about em.
- If you want to transfer designs by me out of chicken smoothie closed species from before 8/2/20, YES, you may! Be free. uwu ❤️
- You may also transfer them into other species/groups/arpgs!
- Do not contact me here unless I contacted you first.
- Feel free to send me trades, but you may be waiting awhile.
clouds-move-on

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Sky Stuff!

Postby PopcornBush » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:33 am

Thank you so much ☁️Lady Raincloud☁️ !
PopcornBush

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cocogerber13 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:34 am

Whoa, very pretty!
╔══════════════════════════════════╗
☾ Hello! I'm Cocogerber13, °˖✧

but feel free to call me Coco.
toyhouse|IG|art gallery|
DA|FR|art fight|Character shop
♢I write, draw, and rp!♢

Current interests: Fionna & Cake/Adventure Time, Genshin Impact, HSR, Baldur’s Gate 3, botw, fe3h, Ev.e, MILGRAM, ORV & Twisted Wonderland

Image Image Image

╚══════════════════════════════════╝
cocogerber13

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SkyWishes21 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:23 pm

This is so useful! Thank you Rainy!
planet || whatever pronouns man || hi im back ig. what's up
SkyWishes21

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caesou » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:33 pm

imma just mark this
caesou

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snowseph » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:57 pm

This is super cool and helpful! Thank you. ^v^
    i'm not that active... i pop in every now and then out of boredom or nostalgia.
    i'm keeping my stuff unless otherwise stated.

he/they. queer. adult. multi&mixed media artist.
    discord: eat_plant
Snowseph

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hypnowave » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:28 pm

This looks super helpful!
    Marking for future reference o v o
hypnowave

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CalicoClaws » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:34 pm

marking for future ref
tysm
Pet's name: Have a good day♡
CalicoClaws

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby clouds-move-on » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:36 pm

@ Everyone who posted.
Ahh, so glad you like it! c: Hope it helps. :D
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

- John 13:34-35

ImageImageImage
2/24/24
temp open to doing stars myos off oekaki for 100+ c$s... dm me

I am no longer active on CS.
- I am keeping all my characters that I haven't readopted out myself, dont ask about em.
- If you want to transfer designs by me out of chicken smoothie closed species from before 8/2/20, YES, you may! Be free. uwu ❤️
- You may also transfer them into other species/groups/arpgs!
- Do not contact me here unless I contacted you first.
- Feel free to send me trades, but you may be waiting awhile.
clouds-move-on

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Arrow~ » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:33 am

How to do you lock the lines so you don't go over them? So the color stays in the lines?
~Arrow~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me