Coming Home by Arrows

Based on Click to view
Artist Arrows [gallery]
Time spent 5 minutes
Drawing sessions 1

Coming Home

Postby Arrows » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:19 am

Coming Home
I patted the gelding gently as we walked towards the open trailer side by side. Last year, I had gotten pretty lucky. Wildfire had been relatively easygoing about the trailer. However, she had been rough and wild with almost everything else. I hoped this gelding was different - and he seemed to be already. The buckskin roan was much quieter than Wildfire had been. He appeared tense, but not in a wild or crazy way. There was an almost haunted look in his eyes. He was not trusting, and seemed cautious. The gelding regarded the trailer warily, placing a foot on the ramp leading inside but no more.
I allowed him to stand there for a while, waving Anna away when she asked to help. I did not want to bum her out, but I knew this was something I had to do on my own more, I felt. There was stillness, and I eyed the gelding as he eyed me. A horse walked past with another person, giving us a wide berth. Within moments the gelding was alive. Just as the man had warned me, he bucked out at air and backed away from the trailer. I did not struggle with him, but let him back up and compose himself.
"Again, Mustang. You can do it." I collected him and walked towards the trailer. The gelding got himself almost into the trailer. He paused and sniffed the fresh sawdust, carefully pawing it with his hoof. I clicked to him, ever-so-gently pulling on the rope. He backed off quickly. Anna peered at him from behind the large trailer door. I sighed, wondering if I should've brought one of my calm older horses along to provide the gelding comfort. "Anna, come here." She looked at me, and quietly scrambled next to me. "Yeah?" I motioned towards the lead rope. "I would like for you to hold the rope. When I ask you to pull, pull, but be very gentle. If he gets on, give him some treats." I handed her the rope and the treats in my pocket, which the mustang watched and sniffed.
I moved back near his hind end, careful to not step directly behind him and watch his legs. I directed Anna to walk him onto the ramp, which went smoothly. Then we waited. The gelding fidgeted at first, but was soon quiet. I began to softly apply pressure onto his butt and asked Anna to pull. After some resistance, a step. Stop, wait. He backed off. Again, same results. Wait. Same steps, and another step. After a couple of minutes, the gelding stood on the trailer, looking slightly uneasy but otherwise O.K. I smiled and gave him some pats and treats, then closed up the trailer. He had a window to have plenty of air and room. And then we were off, back to LVS. It was close to 11:00.
- - -

Anna and I were home by 12:00, and by then Mitchell was awake and was tending to horses along with our barn staff. He came out of the stables to see us and the new arrival and help us unload. I planned to immediately place the gelding in a round pen to perhaps burn off some energy and observe his surroundings. That evening we could allow him to stay out for the night or introduce him to his stall, it all depended on his mood.
The off load was difficult, because the gelding seemed jittery and eager to get off. I had Anna and Mitchell stand near the ramp as I clipped on his lead and unhooked the stretchy trailer rope. He backed quickly, almost dangerously. I knew this would be something we had to work on.
I noticed a lot of mud in the round pens, but figured it would have to do, even if he got dirty. Oh well. In the round pens, the gelding was practically silent for a while. He stood erect, ears swiveling at various noises. I left some flakes of hay and water in the pen, sitting inside the nearby barn supervising with Wildfire nudging my shoulder. Mitchell was riding in an arena with Anna, and had asked me to tag along, but I preferred to watch my new mustang. I had to.
When evening came, I was able to place him in a stall and give him grain. The gelding seemed to dislike Wildfire at first, but grew to tolerate her and at least find comfort in her and the other horses' presence.
What a day.
by serBronn

isleen
caswallon
my chwr horses

I <3 my horse Indigo
ℓ ι ν є у σ υ η g. ℓ ι ν є ƒ я є є. ℓ ι ν є ƒ є α я ℓ є ѕ ѕ.

My Kiamara, Odysseus. Click the picture to the right to see information & all art for Odysseus!

by Niluna
Arrows

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me