Artist woolly [gallery]
Time spent 16 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
4 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Live yourself outside the box

Postby woolly » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Redline for you lovely! <3

For tips, use references honestly, you can't figure out the details better than looking at the real thing <3

You have a great sense of proportion and that's really awesome, what would make your art more alive and realistic or to a style you want to develop, shaping out the limbs around muscles and bones making definition will do wonders. Imagine the bones on a skeletal horse, now wrap muscles around it. Then stuff the whole thing into a big clay piece and slowly cut away the clay until you have a thin layer of clay over the muscles and bones, metaphorically speaking. At least that's how my mind works around anatomy cx <3

But anyways the head looks good, though I'd suggest making the muzzle a bit more rounded like a zorse's and soft, curved lines to give it a nice look. Attaching the ears a bit further down would be awesome too, though the way you drew them looks gorgeous!

hanging around collecting butterfly wolves
woolly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Live yourself outside the box

Postby >> Leafstorm515 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:53 am

of gators & feigns wrote:Redline for you lovely! <3

For tips, use references honestly, you can't figure out the details better than looking at the real thing <3

You have a great sense of proportion and that's really awesome, what would make your art more alive and realistic or to a style you want to develop, shaping out the limbs around muscles and bones making definition will do wonders. Imagine the bones on a skeletal horse, now wrap muscles around it. Then stuff the whole thing into a big clay piece and slowly cut away the clay until you have a thin layer of clay over the muscles and bones, metaphorically speaking. At least that's how my mind works around anatomy cx <3

But anyways the head looks good, though I'd suggest making the muzzle a bit more rounded like a zorse's and soft, curved lines to give it a nice look. Attaching the ears a bit further down would be awesome too, though the way you drew them looks gorgeous!

Ahhh your the best

I really struggle with using references. I did actually check out some pictures, but I just can't seem to get the
'important' lines down right. It just looks cartoony and bleh.
That's a really good way of describing muscles! It makes more sense to me than just imagining where they are. I really appreciate this, and all your nice comments too. ;u; Would it be possible that I be added so I can try again with the help you have me?

Oh! And can you offer any tips on what pen settings work best for lining things? Or pen setting in general?

Oy! And I saw in your siggy that you aren't usually interested in pets, which is what I usually gift/tip (because I can.)
But I did make you this guy on some lines I made up yesterday. <3 ;u; I hope you like them.

x
x

Leaf/Leafstorm ~ she/her
Character Designer

>> Leafstorm515

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woolly » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:08 am

Hehe <3

Well you don't have to follow references to the exact detail, I say get the basics down and experiment with how you want to stylize c: I try to get my style to be realistic but with a slight stylized look to it.
I believe constructive crit should have lots of nice things to say so the artist can be encouraged rather than put down, lovely<33 And sure thing, I've added you.

I used to use pen but it makes the lines harder to work with in my opinion because the opacity just gets all wonky. I use pencil size one, opacity all the way up, and smoothing at about 50-60. And then when I finish the lines I duplicate it so the lines look bolder ^-^

Ohmygoodnessgracious, he's for me? ;w; He's stunning, leafstorm! And the lines look beautiful, ahh thank you so much love!

woolly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby >> Leafstorm515 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:14 am

of gators & feigns wrote:Hehe <3

Well you don't have to follow references to the exact detail, I say get the basics down and experiment with how you want to stylize c: I try to get my style to be realistic but with a slight stylized look to it.
I believe constructive crit should have lots of nice things to say so the artist can be encouraged rather than put down, lovely<33 And sure thing, I've added you.

I used to use pen but it makes the lines harder to work with in my opinion because the opacity just gets all wonky. I use pencil size one, opacity all the way up, and smoothing at about 50-60. And then when I finish the lines I duplicate it so the lines look bolder ^-^

Ohmygoodnessgracious, he's for me? ;w; He's stunning, leafstorm! And the lines look beautiful, ahh thank you so much love!

That makes so much more sense to me. ;u; You're work has really inspired me to try to be a little more aware
of the anatomy of what I'm drawing, rather than just thinking it will work and then being upset because the
dog I was trying to draw looks something like a potato. XD

That's a super interesting way of doing lines. I never thought of bolding them via duplication.. wow! I may have to give that
a god sometime soon, as I've got some dog sketches to line! Thanks for that tip!

He/ She is for you! The original is here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2716989 and I've added you in case you need colors/anything else. I hope the pattern is okay! It was meant to be a chestnut roan with a tovero splash, but
I'm still learnign horse genetics and all!

x
x

Leaf/Leafstorm ~ she/her
Character Designer

>> Leafstorm515

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woolly » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:27 am

Awhh well I'm glad ;w; <33 Haha nothing wrong with a potato-dog XD

I didn't like the way my lines looked so invisible so I tried it with the mudi dogs and I think it really helps the lines stand out more c:
Oooh speaking of dogs, I am absolutely loving those dog sketches! Do you think you'd like to do an art trade with me? I'd love to get my shepherd chow 'sona drawn by you and in exchange I'll draw one of your chars.

Thank you again! I thought it was some kind of chestnut, awesome!<3

woolly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby >> Leafstorm515 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:43 am

of gators & feigns wrote:Awhh well I'm glad ;w; <33 Haha nothing wrong with a potato-dog XD

I didn't like the way my lines looked so invisible so I tried it with the mudi dogs and I think it really helps the lines stand out more c:
Oooh speaking of dogs, I am absolutely loving those dog sketches! Do you think you'd like to do an art trade with me? I'd love to get my shepherd chow 'sona drawn by you and in exchange I'll draw one of your chars.

Thank you again! I thought it was some kind of chestnut, awesome!<3

Oh of course! I'd love to do an art trade, it's been so long since I've done one. eue I love drawing dogs with more substantial
bodies, so I'd absolutely love to draw that dog!
As for my character, I'd either love if you could redline/help me on this: viewtopic.php?t=2661776 cat ish thing ( Added you just incase!), or if you could maybe draw either of these babes? 1.) viewtopic.php?t=2552369 or 2.) viewtopic.php?t=2531823 Anything you feel like doing go for it! <3 ;u; I'll work on my half when I return from shopping, as well as cropping out all those pics for you! If you want to send me a pm with all the images you'd like croped, that'd be great!

x
x

Leaf/Leafstorm ~ she/her
Character Designer

>> Leafstorm515

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woolly » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:52 am

I'm still working on her actual reference, but here's the best reference of athena for now. Her tongue and pawpads are a dark purple and her eyes are hazel.

I'll see about drawing one of the appys ^-^ Maybe just for fun I'll try to redline the cat too, though cats aren't my strong suit cx

woolly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me