Redline! by Caela

Based on Click to view
Artist Caela [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 49 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
27 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Redline!

Postby Caela » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:14 am

Wow that took awhile! I intended to do a quick redline before going to the store with my mom to buy some materials for a school project but it took her awhile to get ready and I got carried away... It's still really sloppy though and those forelegs are too long lol. X3

Oh and yes I made a really stupid mistake and the forehead and muzzle lines should actually intersect at the nose or a few pixels farther, NOT how I drew them.

Some anatomy info (I'm pulling all of this out of my memory so it may be a little bit inaccurate):
  • Wolves do not always have their necks lifted up! Often when resting or running a wolf will lower its neck.
  • Draw angled lines for the forehead and top of the muzzle; if they intersect a little ways past/at the nose then they should be about right. Keep in mind how heavily angled the forehead is! Google a wolf profile and you'll see what I mean.
  • It's easy to get away with a lazy wing but it really pays to know how a bird's wing is structured. Look up lots of pictures of bird wings and their skeletal structure. Note that the feather pattern and wing shape varies with each species. Keep the wings large too, lots of surface area is the only way that wolf will be able to fly!
  • The tail generally stays down but I decided not to go into Nazi mode about that in the redline. X3
  • There is fur in a canid's ear.
  • Paws have lots of pads! Here's a list of them and why they are there:
    • Digital pads: There are four of these on each paw, located on the bottom of the toes. These help with stability and traction as well as serve as a shock-absorber.
    • Metacarpal pad: This is that big pad on the bottom of every paw. This pad also helps with stability and traction as well as serves as a shock-absorber.
    • Dewclaws: These little toes are located on the inside of the forepaws only! By inside I mean they go on the right side of the left paw and the left side of the right paw. Look up dewclaws if that doesn't make sense. They are used to grip prey and bones and whatever else a wolf may get its paws on. These don't often touch the ground.
    • Carpal pad: This pad is located on the back of a wolf's forelegs and is used for additional traction when stopping or descending a slope.
I hope this helps!

~ Caela
Last edited by Caela on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I swear I'm not a middle schooler.
For real.

----------------------------

Do I ever do things in a timely matter?
I'll get back to you on that.

----------------------------

I love:
languages ♥ violin ♥ guitar ♥ piano
16th - 18th century ships

quietly mourning the decline of the Irish language
Caela

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Redline!

Postby Ritatalia » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:57 am

This helps for most of the people, including me (the wings especially)! Thanks. :3
Ritatalia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The One & Only Vapor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:30 am

this is super helpful! thank you for making this <3
hello there! i'm the...

...one & only vapor.

check out my art shop!! [click words or dragon]

they/them pronouns please

nontheist • pro-choice • LGBTQA+ rights • INFJ • feminist
agender • pansexual

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The One & Only Vapor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kattata » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:28 am

As a beginning artist, with especial difficulty with canines, I just want to say that I love you.

Last bumped by Caela on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:28 am.
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbImage
Kattata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me