Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Bat Dragons - CLOSED for now by flyteck

Artist flyteck [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 8 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
65 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Bat Dragons - CLOSED for now

Postby flyteck » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:15 am

Welcome to bat dragons! These guys have been a personal species of mine for several years now, and I love sharing them with all you awesome people on CS.

EDIT: I've been having trouble managing the species, but I'm going to have a swing at it again. I apologize for my slowness. I'll never give up the species; they're my babies, so you don't have to worry about them closing permanently. Just... bare with my inability to be organized //shot

Intro Post + Rules - Your are Here
Staff - XX
How to Adopt and FAQ - XX
Species Information - XX
Relationship to Humans - XX
Gift Lines, Stamps, and Banners - XX

►Do NOT steal the species! I understand the concept isn't fully unique, but don't make exact copies.
    ►Use common sense. If you wouldn't do something at another adoptable, don't do it here.
    ►Mini-modding IS allowed and encouraged, as long as you know the rules yourself. Don't hand out false information!
    ►Do not steal art from anyone for your entries. Lineart colour ins are not allowed as entry art, unless they are personal lines.
    ►No whining, begging, or complaining if you lose. If you can't say congratulations just don't post.
    ►Follow all CS rules
    ►Don't spam. You may bookmark or ask questions, but save chat for the fanclub. (which I will set up soon)
    ►These guys aren't meant to be of human intelligence and I'd appreciate if you don't make them as such (ex having one that has a tumblr account or drinks coffee. It can like looking at pictures and gifs and it can like coffee, but don't draw it sitting on a laptop or something). Feel free to go wild with personalities though!
    ►Also on that topic, feel free to humanize them, so long as they aren't solely drawn in human form.
    ►Have fun of course :'D
    ►Also I don't bite, so if you have any questions about anything at all just pm me c:

Last edited by flyteck on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 12 times in total.
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Staff

Postby flyteck » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:18 am

We are currently looking for staff! I'm not in need of mods just yet, but an archivist would be of great help to me! There will also be an artist's contest up soon, so if you're interested in that keep your eyes peeled!
x
Artist Contest!
x

Image Archivists - Grapejuice and caraphernelia,, Image
x
x
x
X
x

Last edited by flyteck on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:48 am, edited 7 times in total.
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

How to Adopt + FAQ

Postby flyteck » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:19 am

►In the "versions of this drawing" section, you can see all bat dragons made on these lines.
    ►When you see one you like, click on the thumbnail to go to it's page.
    ►Read the first post to see if it's for adoption. You might also want to check the last post to be sure it hasn't been won, as sometimes artists don't get around to editing the first post right away.
    ►If it is up for adoption, read the adoption requirements, find the form, and fill it out. If it's a fast contest make sure edits are allowed too.
    ►Make sure to take note of art limits and end dates.

►Glamour isn't everything, but a little sprucing up can make your form look nice. It's not the main point, but it isn't too hard to set up a form that's pretty. Use a dark colour for font if it isn't black, and add some text symbols or center the form. Some people have crazy forms with all kinds of art and coding, but it's what's in your form that really counts.
    ►If you're entering an art contest, try to have some art of your own. The person judging the contest is likely looking for a person who will draw and be active with the character if they win. Not an artist? Give it your best shot. Try to capture some mood or personality.
    ►Length isn't everything. Try to make a detailed but not incredibly long form, since some artists don't enjoy reading many forms that are pages long. Short, sweet, and to the point. Also, don't add unnecessary fluff. An example is an overly long username section ("Hi I'm __ and I own __. This will be the blah blah blah" and so on). Just put your username and move on.
    ►Don't make a whole topic for your form. Some people do this to up their chances, but not only is it a lot more effort to judge but it's more work for you. Save the character thread for /after/ you win (or don't).
    ►Follow rules. As fun as decorating can be, some contests have a no edits or additions rule. Some artists prefer forms to be simple and uncomplicated and may not want you to decorate.
    ►Ask questions! If you're uncertain about any section in the form, just ask the artist.

►No whining, complaining, or guilting other users.
    ►If you don't win, just be happy for the winner and move on.
    ►If you lose a bat dragon and are upset by it, no need to say anything (nice or otherwise) to the judge or winner.
    ►No bribery. If you try to bribe an artist, you will receive a permanent ban.
    ►No pictures from the internet, except if they are free stock. You can use them to decorate straight up, but don't edit them. This includes crops and recolours.
    ►Put effort in to forms! I know I personally judge mainly on effort, not just skill, and I'm pretty sure my other staff will too.
    ►Have fun! If you're having a really hard time making your form maybe this isn't the right contest for you.
    ►Don't try for a Bat Dragon just to have one. Wait for one that really grabs your attention. My biggest hope for this species is for people to be active with their dragons.
    ►You may only have 5 bat dragons in total as of now.

/faq coming whenever we start getting questions/
Last edited by flyteck on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Species Info

Some of this info may repeat; I just wanted to make a short section since it's all really long XP

Bat Dragons? Descended from bats, but fairly canine in appearance. Mammals, not dragons. Named because of size.
Lifespan: 30-40 years, oldest known was 68
Size, Weight: 3 - 5 feet at the shoulder, 500 - 1000 pounds.
Behaviour: Small packs or solo, diurnal, monogamous
Reproduction: Babies called pups; reproduce during spring; litters of 2-5
Food: Three subspecies, one feeds on nectar and fruit, one solely on meat, and one on fruit and meat.
Colours and Markings: Natural colours only. Eyes come in any colour. All kinds of markings.
Communication: Chirps, barks, growls. Echolocation used for night flying.

Q. What are they?
A. First off, bat dragons are not truly dragons. This is simply a misconception, similar to how koalas are not bears and red pandas are not pandas. When they were first discovered, people though they were dragons due to their size and ability to fly. They are warm blooded mammals. Bat dragons were given the bat part of their name mainly because of their large, bat-like ears and wings. They have sloped hindquarters, and are able to walk on all fours using their "thumbs" like front feet. Bat Dragon's are unable to stand on only their front legs, but they can balance and walk on their hind legs with practice. Although their origins are hazy, it is believed they are descended from bats. What triggered them to evolve into such large creatures is unknown. Bat Dragons generally range from 3.5 - 5 feet at the shoulder, although there are exceptions. There are three different breeds of Bat Dragon, each adapted to feed easily on a specific food source. They generally don't get along in the wild, although they can in captivity (if brought up with the other species, much like cats and dogs). Bat dragons cannot talk to humans (although many can understand their body language), but can communicate with each other and other animals through barks, grunts, and chirps. All bat dragons have a long pair of fangs that protrude from their mouths. The shape varies between subspecies. They have scissorbite like regular canines.

Q. Behaviour?
A. All bat dragons are naturally diurnal (active during the day) (bats cannot actually see in the dark, and use echolocation to navigate for that reason. They only hunt at night to avoid the majority of large predatory birds.), and they sleep lying down on the ground. A very small few sleep hanging from their tails, but this is only something the smaller ones can do. Bat dragons do have echolocation and can fly at night, but most prefer daylight. Bat dragons tend to be curious, and most will explore new things without hesitation. Bat dragons are also very trusting, but like horses, can spook. If abused or mistreated, most bat dragons will become afraid of or aggressive towards humans. Wild bat dragons usually travel in small packs (2-4) or larger flocks (5+).

Q. How smart are they exactly?
A. Bat dragons are normally about as smart as a border collie. Very trainable, smart enough to figure out problems, and like dogs, smart enough to ask for help when they need it. Bat dragons have an emotional level equal to that of a human, and can read expressions very well. They can mostly understand human words too, although they learn from listening, so wild bat dragons don't know many words right away. Bat dragons are fiercely loyal to their owners. Bat dragons are individuals, just like people. They all have unique personalities, and each will have friends and enemies. It is important to remember this, since a bat dragon fight can be very dangerous.They also don't take kindly to being treated as if they are stupid.

Q. Breeding?
A. (Breeding is not currently available.) Bat dragon breeding season is in spring (April - Early June). To court, male dragons (and occasionally, the female) will do aerobatic performances to impress their mate of choice. If the other likes the performance, they will take off and join in. Babies are called pups, and they are born in litters of 2-5. Bat Dragons mate for life, and most will never pair again, even if their old mate dies. They will grieve for long periods of time, and may become slightly aggressive after losing a mate.

Q. What are they used for?
A. Bat Dragons are used much like horses. They are ridden for work and for pleasure. They can walk and run fairly well on the ground, but their best point is in the air. Bat Dragons can carry their riders very high into the air, and can fly for long periods of time. Smaller breeds like nectar eaters can be used to pull carts or ploughs, as well as giving small children rides, although they are normally just kept as pets like dogs.

Q. Being so big, how are they able to fly?
A. You would think that, because of their size, bat dragons would be far too large to fly. They have hollow bones much like birds, which reduces their weight. But these bones are strong and hard. Bat dragons all require a lot of calcium in their diets to help keep their bones sturdy. Most bat dragons will take a running start to fly, but they can sometimes make a standing take-off. They cannot hover, and must flap almost constantly to fly. They have strong shoulders that can rotate almost 360 degrees in the socket, which allows them to get a good range of motion in flight. Bat dragons have fairly narrow, long wings which means they're better off flying through tight spaces then open areas. They aren't designed to glide and don't do such very well.

There are three subspecies of bat dragons, each with unique characteristics. When you go to adopt a bat dragon, the subspecies will be listed in the first post.

Carnivores:
    ►Broad, pointed fangs
    ►Blunt muzzle, somewhat like that of a bull terrier
    ►Thick, short thumbs with sturdy claws
    ►Largest Bat Dragon subspecies (Between 4.5-5 feet at the shoulder, with some abnormalities)
    ►Hunt individually, rarely with a pack of omnivores
    ►Feed on mid-sized herbivores (sheep, deer, ponies) + nectar bat dragons
    ►Stays to own species (unless with pack of omnivores)

Omnivores:
    ►Long, slightly blunt fangs
    ►Long, sturdy muzzle, like that of a wolf
    ►Delicate hind feet and long front claws.
    ►Mid-size (4 - 5 feet at shoulder)
    ►Hunt in small packs (groups of 2-5) or individually
    ►Feed on small mammals (rabbits, squirrels) + fruit
    ►Sometimes travels with carnivores or herbivores

Nectar/Fruit Eater:
    ►Long, delicate, pointed teeth for skewering fruit.
    ►Teeth can break if used to eat anything but soft fruit.
    ►Hummingbird-like tongue for drinking nectar.
    ►Narrow, whippet-like muzzle.
    ►Short, soft claws on hind paws and long, delicate claws on the front.
    ►Small (3.5 - 4 feet at shoulder, with few abnormalities).
    ►Sometimes difficult to ride due to size, often is a companion animal.
    ►Travel in flocks and rarely alone.
    ►Feed on flowers (mainly nectar but sometimes petals) + fruit (peaches, berries, softer fruits).
    ►Stays to own species.

Last edited by flyteck on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Relationship with Humans

Although there are bat dragons in the wild, most spend their lives with a human partner. Due to their large size and ability to fly, there are countless uses for bat dragons, both industrial and recreational. I'll try to cover everything below, but if you have an idea for one of yours and you'd like to check if it's plausible just PM me and I'll likely say yes. When you win a bat dragon, you'll be added so that you can make a saddle and other tack for them ^^ I may eventually make some fancy tack reference lines so you can get really in depth, since tack is generally as unique as the dragon and rider pair. You can find some examples of tack that I've drawn here.

Bat dragon saddles are long, with enough space for about three people on them. The reason for this length is mainly to allow wiggle room and easy attachment of cargo/bags; a bat dragon can't usually carry more than two people at once. The front saddle sits on the dragons' back between it's shoulders, and usually extends down to just above the base of the tail. There are always at least two straps on the saddle, the cinch (stomach) and breast collar (chest). The cinch goes through the web on the dragon's wing. All domestic dragons have an incision made in the web for this, and many owners choose to have it lined with metal to prevent the cinch chaffing. Whenever you find a friendly bat dragon in the wild, it is customary to check for this incision. Having this incision made doesn't really hurt, it's like having your ears pierced. Saddles are not designed to be sat on exactly, but are meant to be knelt on. You use your knees to hold yourself in place, since the wing web prevents you from placing your legs on the sides of the animal. Because of this, riding for a long time continuously can be a bit painful and hard on your knees. Saddles are normally made of leather with suede seating for better grip. Saddles usually have a raised pommel without a horn, but some do have a horn. When diving or flying fast, it is safest to hold the pommel or horn so you don't fall off. Saddles made for fast flying and stunts frequently come equipped with two hand grips, one on either side of the pommel like a vaulting harness. Some saddles (specifically those for new riders) have straps which can be wrapped around the ankles and upper calves, which hold the rider securely to the saddle. Saddles generally have a soft tree, not a hard one, since the dragon needs to be able to move freely to fly. Most saddles are simple and unembellished, but some have metal and stone decorations. Some also have d rings and leather straps for attaching saddle bags and anything you want to carry.

Bat dragons bridles vary in many ways. The one thing they all have in common: lack of a metal bit. Bat dragon teeth are not fragile, but being rammed by a metal bar would not be good for them. Most bat dragons are ridden with some form of hackamore or bosal bridle (bitless). Some riders who have a stubborn dragon or who do very precise areal manoeuvres may choose to use a bit, but this is usually either leather or cloth. Wooden bits are used in very rare occasions. As for the basic structure of bat dragon bridles, there really isn't one. Most start with a basic headstall that has a noseband (ex), but they can go all the way up to very complex bridles that have many different straps and embellishments (ex). When designing a bridle, don't be afraid to be creative! There are no real standards for them, and as long as they're practical to some degree they're fine. For example, rein rings come in many shapes and styles. Don't be afraid to do something unique. If you're designing a bridle with a bit, you can also loose the noseband and go very minimalist.

Bat dragons are used for a variety of tasks, many of which require specific tack. For example, some bat dragons are used to help move lumber for logging and construction. These dragons are outfitted with a basic pulling yoke. Two strong ropes or leather straps extend down from this, and are attached to the lumber. The dragon then flies and drags the log across the ground. Sometimes more than one dragon is used to pull larger lumber. This set up can also be used to move vehicles that are broken, move debris, and plough fields. They are very useful for all sorts of farm work. They can herd livestock from the air and on the ground, protect all sorts of animals from predators, and also can be used to water crops. Stronger bat dragons can be fitted with a large pair of canisters, one on either side just above the wings. These each have a hose like extension with a shower head on them. When the valves are opened, the dragon can fly over the field and evenly distribute water. They're also used for things like search and rescue and hunting. No specific tack is used for either of these, but two bat dragons will sometimes carry a fabric sling between them which can carry large game or an unconscious person.
(I'm working on getting some actual examples for everything~)
Last edited by flyteck on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Giftlines, Stamps, and Banners

Postby flyteck » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:20 am

Grab a badge, sticker, banner, or stamp to put in you signature and spread the word!

Code: Select all
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2598477][img]http://oi45.tinypic.com/ehcgg5.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2598477][img]http://i.imgur.com/MVzN34E.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2598477][img]http://i.imgur.com/HpCxwAB.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2598477][img]http://i.imgur.com/bnyB718.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2598477][img]http://i.imgur.com/Q3G36Je.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2598477][IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/343kcxc.png[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2598477][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EAmIb5P.png[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2598477][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SD8HPTX.png[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2598477][img]http://i.imgur.com/Vy993p1.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2598477][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Rs2gDTH.gif[/IMG][/url]

Last edited by flyteck on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Bat Dragons- V3

Postby pratt » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:20 am

yay! Mark.
pratt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Bat Dragons- V4

Postby Tart » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:29 am

WHAAAAAA mark
Sup I'm old and I'm back
it's me ya trash boi
pm if you want

xxxxxxxxxxx
    I take commissions!
    dA
    ask or follow journal for new dA/examples
    Kalons
xxxxxxxxxxx
Tart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ladybugdotz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:33 am

omgoodness love these! how do i get one? (sorry if the question seems stupid, im a newbie ;)
Image Image Image Image
ladybugdotz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby obiole » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:57 am

aww! i remember these lil guys!