Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Aztec Crowned Equines by king_bear

Artist king_bear [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 22 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
3 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Aztec Crowned Equines

Postby king_bear » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:36 am

What are Aztec Crowned Equines?
A few decennia ago, a small group of explorers found an until then unknown island in the Atlantic ocean, and found an especially stunning breed of horses there. They recognized the shape of their rounded horns, and realized that these horses must be the descendants of the Old Aztecian horse. The horses were caught, domesticated and brought to North America and Europe, where they excelled as dressage horses.
The island where the breed was found is mostly desert, with a mountain range on the western side and little to no grass. What plants do grow, have sharp thorns and look more like cacti. The ACEs have managed to adapt by changing their coat colour to very light shades, grow large, strong legs, little mane and a leathery mouth to prevent themselves from getting stung. These horses are great climbers and have the balance of a mountain goat. Both males and females are crowned, although females do not have any use for the horns. The males use them in the mating season, when they fight other stallions. Although they are quite dominant and are slow learners, these horses are great for dressage and could be trained in pretty much any other kind of sport, and will be loyal forever.

Colours
An explanation on coat colours

Common: white, various shades of light brown, palomino, buckskin, flaxen chestnut, any kind of dun, pretty much any light coat colour
Uncommon: bay, dapple grey, liver chestnut, roans, champagnes
Rare: black, dark bay, smoky black

Common: large amounts of overo, tobiano, tovero, splash or sabinos, small amounts less common
Uncommon: any type of appaloosa pattern
Rare: no coat markings at all

Common: bend-or spots, birdcatcher spots, chubari spots
Uncommon: brindle, lacing
Rare: dominant white, bloodmarkings on whites

For unknown reasons, eyes can be any colour, even unnnatural ones.
Horns are usually a paled brown, or a shade of (broken) white.

Body Build, Behavior and Other Facts

Aztec Crowned Equines have the same body build as any other warmblood horse, but what makes them stand out are the horns that grow from the back of their skulls. The males generally have much larger horns that the females, curling back to about their shoulders. The females have small, round horns that curl around their ears. Males use their horns for dominance, for fighting and for sneaking females out of other males' bands. Around mating season, all herds and bands fall apart into small groups or lone horses, usually one male with one or two females, after which he will fight any encountering stallions. The winner takes the females.

Despite their general short mane length, the females have a long forelock, possibly to shield their eyes from the sun. Because of the heat, insects are scarce and the horses did not have much use for long manes. The manes on their neck are the same length as cropped manes, and their forelocks a little longer. Their tail is also short.

Foals are generally born at the end of the summer, when the heat has faded. They are small, and, if male, have small horns at the back of their head. The horns sometimes rupture the mother's stomach, and because of this, there are generally more females than males. In five years, the foal grows as high as sometimes 18 hands. Young foals are usually born white and only acquire their official coat colours after their second or third year.

Current Open Adopts
none! :c
king_bear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Aztec Crowned Equines

Postby landofmakebelieve » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:32 am

Mark c:
hello, bonjour
please call me believe

herro der mes amis, i am believe. proud canadian, ottb loving, colt breaking, nfr dreaming. pictured on the left is my racetrack reject, landofmakebelieve, aka molly, moo, shmoo, whatever name comes to mind x] molly is a 10 year old canadian bred thoroughbred mare, and standing at about 16.2hh, we look a little wonky when we chase cans, but la dee da that's alright. molly and i tried several disciplines. i tried desperately to get her to catch on to dressage, but unfortunately, she still has the race bred mind and is all go. however, together we found a discipline which we could both enjoy; western gaming. this summer we started travelling to barrel races locally. our current record on a standard size pattern is 17.314 and we are improving with every run. and to all the low budget barrel racers out there such as myself, a word of advise; chin up darling. you may not have a million dollar mount under your butt, but you and your crossbred, rejected, hard headed, rescue baby can do it. you know why? cause those girls sitting in their custom circle y's, upon shiny, top of the line mounts are full of themselves. they think there's no way they can lose. they get cocky. stay humble, believe in yourself, in your horse, and most importantly ride your little heart out.
landofmakebelieve

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me