Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Orion and Luna (sort of) by PeanutGradsko

Artist PeanutGradsko [gallery]
Time spent 28 minutes
Drawing sessions 2

Orion and Luna (sort of)

Postby PeanutGradsko » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 am

For those of you who don't know, Orion, the hunter, is the constellation, and Luna is the Moon. There is also a meteor (shooting star) that looks too much like a comet... Oops.

This is not meant to be scientifically accurate and no references were used. I did this from memory and made up the parts I didn't know, as with Orion, or simply tried to leave it to your imagination to fill in the details, as with Luna.

This was inspired by the pre-dawn sky where I live. Normally Orion can not (I hate the word cannot) be seen during the summer months, but in winter he is there. Then how did I see him on August 19th? The answer lies in the time of day. Oh man, that sounded weird coming from me. Anyway, Orion is in the daytime sky in summer, so before dawn I could see him, at somewhere between 4:30 and 6:30 a.m. The sun started rising around six and Orion, along with the other stars, disappeared. The waning Moon stayed out near the, uh, east? South-east? I'm not very good with directions.

I left out other stars because I didn't want Orion's shape to get lost and mixed up. I did not take any star's apparent (or whatever) magnitude (how bright it is) into consideration. Anyone who does not know Orion might get confused, though I do not recommend this as a guide, especially as I really don't know how many stars are in the bow-like shape and also because it seems everyone sees constellations differently.

Orion's sword, located under the belt, actually only has two stars. The one in the middle is in fact a nebula, the Orion Nebula. Look at it with a telescope! I haven't as my telescope's mount is kinda wonky now and I don't know how great it is, and I found some online that I think sound really good from reviews, but although they are inexpensive compared to others, we can't afford things like that right now. Ah, well. Oh, same with binoculars if you don't have a telescope!

During August there are lots of meteors! And so, I had to add one. Also to make up for the lack of stars.

Lastly, I have to say, expect more pictures like these. It was very beautiful this morning! When the birds started singing and almost all the stars were gone, I even saw some bats flying back to bed. :D
I'll update this signature eventually..
PeanutGradsko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me