Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Pedigree Standard Smilodons by Zitface

Based on Click to view
Artist Zitface [gallery]
Time spent 6 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
6 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Pedigree Standard Smilodons

Postby Zitface » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:35 pm

About

Pedigree Standard Smilodons, or PSS, are part of a unique RPG universe. Here you adopt and, eventually, breed formerly extinct felines. It's a pretty odd way of doing it, though. That is where the RPG part comes in. There are two types of events: Hunts and races. A special quality of your Smilodon measures his likeliness of winning these, and winning them increases that value AND gets your credits for things you can put on it! More on the events in the Hunt and Race post.

A Not-So-Brief History

An Italian scientist, Epheseus Sergio, had discovered a way to bring extinct creatures back to life. However, it required a very specific set of environmental influences on a fossil for it to be in the condition the process required. Much to the scientific communities disappointment, it only worked on creatures of the subfamily Machairodontinae. Of that, only the Smilodon and Homotherium genuses. Where his community saw disappointment, Epheseus saw opportunity.

Ephesus went to the governments with his idea: Smilodon as pets, life companions. It took years for it to be accepted. His first clone, first restoration of life itself, was a male Smilodon Populator that he dubbed Lazarus. He trained it, raised it, tamed it, and then presented it to the UN. A few more tamed and distributed prehistoric cats, and the trend began to spread. Once a strong, diverse population was attained, restoration was banned until time of crisis for the Smilodon community.

The world found they made good house pets, good hunting partners, and for those lucky enough to own a Populator, the rarest due to their difficulty in breeding, as mounts who rivaled horses in popularity. the Fatalis were the most common, Gracilis following, Populator being the rarest of the Smilodons. But the real prize was a Homotherium. Only one species could be restored, but they were hard breeders, even worse than Populators.

Where Are They Found?

They were first restored and bred in Italy, Prato and Rome being major hubs. As they spread, a careful plan was enacted to reintroduce them to the wild. It went seamlessly, and most wild Smilodon flocked to the ghost towns of Italy, most notably Craco.

What About Physiology?

Smilodon Populator- It is perhaps the largest known felid, with a body mass range of 220 to 400 kg (490 to 880 lb). It stood at a shoulder height of 120 cm (47 in).
[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smilodon ]

Smilodon Fatalis- Ranged from 160 to 280 kg (350 to 620 lb) and reached a shoulder height of 100 cm (39 in) and body length of 175 cm (69 in).

Smilodon Gracilis- The smallest and earliest species, estimated at 55 to 100 kg (120 to 220 lb) in weight was the successor of Megantereon in North America, from which it probably evolved. This species reached the north of South America in the early Pleistocene, along with Homotherium, as part of the Great American Interchange. The other Smilodon species probably derived from this species. As its specific name suggests, this species is the most lightly built of the genus.

Homotherium Serum- Homotherium reached 1.1 m (3.6 ft) at the shoulder and weighed an estimated 150–225 kg (331–496 lb) and was therefore about the size of a male African lion. Compared to some other machairodonts, like Smilodon or Megantereon, Homotherium had shorter upper canines, but they were flat, serrated and longer than those of any living cat. Incisors and lower canines formed a powerful puncturing and gripping device.
[Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homotherium]

Diet

Obligate carnivores.
They will eat any meats that are provided to them.

How To Adopt

Simple is simple:
Just fill out the form given by the artist as instructed.
No extras unless you are told they are okay.

Most importantly,
Rules

All of Tess' rules apply
Please respect the artists, mini-mods and other users.
Do not try to bribe the artists
Do not steal the species
Do not complain if you don't win.
If you no longer want your Smilodon, PM me or the artist who designed it, so someone else can adopt it.
Take care of your Smilodon.
Don't steal someone else's Smilodon.
You are allowed five for now.
Please don't spam the thread.
If you have a question, please read the first post. If your question isn't answered here, then go ahead and ask.
Artists are allowed two customs. These count as two of your five.
Artists are allowed to make paid customs for others.
GA's are allowed one custom when they become one, but they must decide whether to keep it or gift it.
Staff

Owner:
۵Mr. Pickles۵

Artists:
۵Mr. Pickles۵
suchgo

Mods:
۵Mr. Pickles۵

Archivist:
Last edited by Zitface on Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Hunts and Races

Postby Zitface » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:48 pm

About

Orenda is the trait that affects a Smilodon's performance in hunts or races. Orenda literally translates to "the invocation of the power of human will to change the world around us", though a Smilodon's Orenda is it's own will as well as strength and cunning.

How To Gain Orenda

A Smilodon can gain Orenda through different ways.
The first way if being interacted with as a cub. Each interaction on your cub's main page is recorded in the "Bond Diary", with each single post of interaction granting 0.5 values of Orenda.
Go here to interact with your Smilodon [Or Homotherium].
The other way is by entering in races and hunts. If your Smilodon makes first, second, third, or fourth, place, you gain, respectively, 4, 3, 2, or 1 values of Orenda.

What is the purpose of Orenda? Is It Necessary?

Orenda isn't necessary if you are content with your Smilodon simply being a pet. However, if you wish for it to participate in races or hunts, you want to crank it up as much as you can.
Orenda in a hunt will allow you to enter your Smilodon's number more than once into the drawing.
Orenda in a race will allow you to enter more than one piece into a race.
This brings us onto the actual events.

Hunts

A hunt is decided by your Smilodon's Orenda and a random draw.
A high Orenda will allow a Smilodon to be entered more in the draw.
The draw pulls up the numbers or certain types of prey, depending on the theme or location of the hunt. Different prey will result in more points for the owner+smilodon team. Highest points win.

Here's Orenda values:
The ratio is 3 Orenda to 1 drawing. As you go up, you add 12 to the Orenda, 2 to the number of drawings.
6 Orenda = 2 drawings.
18 Orenda = 4
30 Orenda = 6
42 Orenda = 8

Races

Artwork is the typical way of competing in races. You should check the "Current Smilodon Events" page(next post) and choose a race that is labelled as open. You then enter your Smilodon into that race by making art of them in a race. You then post your artwork in the topic of the race you selected. Your art will be evaluated by the judges against the other entries and they will then choose a winner. You CANNOT use the original art of your Smilodon [the art on the page you adopted from]. You can commission someone to draw your Smilodon and use that, aso long as your artist is credited. If you'd like, you can reuse a drawing for another race!
Last edited by Zitface on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Current Smilodon Events

Postby Zitface » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Hunts

None yet.

Races

None yet.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Pedigree Standard Smilodons

Postby Zitface » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:11 am

we are now open for posting!
I should be getting one up soon. I am ACCEPTING ARTISTS. PM me!
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zitface » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:01 pm

Bump!
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zitface » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:29 pm

bump ^u^

Last bumped by Zitface on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:29 pm.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me