Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Different Than You by The Last Raven

Artist The Last Raven [gallery]
Time spent 3 hours, 57 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
10 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Different Than You

Postby The Last Raven » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 am

"You think the only people who are people are people who look and think like you..."

This line of the song "Colors of the Wind" kept playing over and over in my mind and created a picture of a sad character with a sawed off horn. This was born from that image. As you can see the invaders of the creatures home only were only able to claim one horn. She escaped after being betrayed and having the one horn taken. Just need a name for her....preferably of Greek origin.

I'm thinking about creating this into a new species. I really like the thought of an ocean creature like this. I'm thinking of calling them Syads or Icthus (Icthi for plural). Just a few things about this species:

These creatures grow to be as large as Great Danes (the females usually slightly smaller and thinner than the males)
Pelts are very sleek but think like an otter's fur.
Fur/markings always are oceanic in nature so as to blend into their surroundings.
They can live anywhere in the ocean, even at its deepest points (though down there these creatures have many special mutations and are often blind).
Paws are webbed to help swimming.
These creatures do possess gills allowing them to convert the oxygen in the water to breathable substances thus never having to surface to breath. When on land though, these gills are covered up mostly by flaps of skin and the nostrils/mouth take over for breathing.
These creatures have two horns that have either one prong (males) or two prongs (female) in the back. These horns each hold a pearl. The pearls match the color of the creatures eyes. If one has two different colored eyes then the two pearls will be different colors.
On the neck the vertebrae of the spine are visible as well as three towards the tail (always only three). Often accessories are tied to the vertebrae.
Accessories often consist of more pearls of the same color that are strapped to their horns. They can also have other gems, rocks, seashells, and other items from their surroundings and sea life. One thing that is always included is at least one sand dollar.
The tails and tufts at the base of the spine are hair-like and usually messy. The hairs are often beautiful combinations of colors.
As a defense mechanism, this species possesses stinger tentacles interlacing with their tails a lot like jellyfish. These stingers are extremely painful, injecting large amounts of poison into the enemy's nervous system. Luckily these stingers don't fire the poison automatically, the creature has to consciously make the decision to fire.
This species only eats sea life and can die of starvation if trapped on land.

I think that's it for now. I may come up with more later. To get a feeling of this piece you may want to listen to "Colors of the Wind" and "Savages" from the Pocahontas soundtrack.

Species (c) Me
──-────────────────────
raven|she|adult
────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░█████████████████ █
──-────────────────────
hi! i’m a long time player
who loves to hoard chameleons
and anything else that tickles my fancy.
i am a huge nerd and love to cosplay!

────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
███░█████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──-───────────────
coding credit pascal
collection dream

ImageImageImage
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──