Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

chrysaora basilisk by woolly

Artist woolly [gallery]
Time spent 9 hours, 20 minutes
Drawing sessions 8
86 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

chrysaora basilisk

Postby woolly » Sat May 31, 2014 2:00 pm

handed over tonörth

ImageImageImageImage
Rithyrm - .Seijuu::. - Staz - Ardra

“it's not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.”
― roy disney

Lucent
Lucent is the predominantly cave-like world that the Chrysaora inhabit. Caverns reach deep into the ground, tunneling for miles in every direction and splits off into massive lairs occupied by colorful (orange as a common color) and dangerous flora and fauna. Humans build overpoweringly tall, high off-the-ground, mud, rock, stone, stalactite and jewel encrusted strongholds and sanctuaries in such lairs, towering to avoid the more aggressive beasts. Most of human-built areas are like this actually, devoid of artificial cities and machinery, giving Lucent a very before medieval time personality.

Likewise, Lucent is to put it simply; wild. There is never a quiet time in the rising, groaning rocks. Cave-ins, drops, and stampedes happen often, so most animal travel in herds or packs to stave off the consequence of losing direction and sense of place. Waterfalls rain down in some places, forming great pools of blue, green, or even sparkling white water. Legend says that such water is the key to immortality...

All in all, Lucent holds many mysteries in her system of caves. But just as so, caves aren't the only surface of this planet. Above ground is a new place entirely, avoided by humans and most creatures because of the radiation that warm-colored rocks give off, charged by the energy of Lucent's five suns, and heat that blazes hotter than the caverns. A half mile stretch of water surrounds Lucent's caves and is totally free of interruptions, swelling a bold blue, green, and orange colors alive with small creatures and fish who inhabit the near-boiling water.

Yet, when night-time falls (a mere four hour plunge of darkness), the above world becomes blanketed by near darkness and Lucent's ocean slowly cools down to below freezing. Like Jupiter, Lucent has a staggering total number of 63 moons, cursing the planet with year-round tsunamis and waves that soar over forty feet tall at times. Because of Lucent's density and strong rocks, the waves don't flood the caverns, but have become a source of water for the creatures below-ground.

About
Chrysaora Basilisk are the prevalent equine creatures of Lucent, known for their staggering numbers across this world. They roam by the hundreds, using their unique hooves to score the uneven rock and track down their most vital source of nourishment; evil. Evil in Lucent takes the form of black, whispering shapes of draconic parasites who enters the hearts of whoever they seek to control emotionally.

Seen as a hero to some, and strange beasts to others, the relationship between Chrysaora and humans is a complex one. On one hand, the equines feed on the negativism that humans pander to, but on the other hand... They are what they eat. Chrysaora are aggressive by nature and fiercely devoted to whatever they claim as there's. Whether that be territory, their mate, or even you.

Reports of human death on Lucent always have one similar theme, which is unfortunately the tell-tale Glare performed by a threatened Chrysaora. Their eyes layer over with a dark, murky black until their normal eye color pierces through in a great ball of electric light, radiating toward their victim's open eyes and paralyzing them. The Glare is able to stop both human and creature, and after a few days, unique to other forms of basilisk, the paralyzed being transforms into a sea nettle.

Chrysaora vocalize like horses, but are also thought to have a syrinx much like birds do and have been recorded displaying a variety of sharp, avian sounds. When they call for one another, either for a mate (a deeper sound) or for their herd (a rumbling sound), it often sounds more like an elk's bugle. When vocalizing with humans, it depends on the individual's intelligence whether they end up speaking in mimicked human tongue or through telepathy, the latter belonging to older, wild Chrysaora and also the ones Conjoined.

Births
First Births is a term for the first time an adult, foundation Chrysaora appears in the world. The process is beautiful and elicits thousands upon thousands strands of light that leaves the lair and caverns immersed in it's glow for hours afterwards. When a particularly evil draconic parasite rises to power or when conflict breaks out, a Bloom (a term for a herd of Chrysaora) of about three to ten Chrysaora enter the world through a sudden appearance of dazzling sea nettle, circling each other in the air and then releasing the Bloom in a small pond or pool of water. These Chrysaora are free to run and leave each other at that moment.

Second Births are extremely different than the first. These Chrysaora are not born from nothingness like First Births are, no they are 'bred' from a pair of Chrysaora (Chrysaora have no reproductive system). Chrysaora Basilisk can either belong to a herd or partnered to one mate, all sexualities permitted, and when breeding they lie or stand and intertwine their tails, head bent towards one another with the now light flashing tips of the horns resting on the other. The smaller of the pair develops numerous, translucent eggs on the strands of his or her tail which should be deposited in a river bank within the day. Many of the thousands of pea-sized eggs will either be eaten or die within hours. Usually one to three eggs are left and the few that do survive only take one real life week to grow to two-four feet tall. At this stage the eggs are soft and shiny, and if you look close enough you can see the unborn foal reeling inside. When the eggs are ready to hatch, they crack one at a time and the foal inside breaks through with it's tiny, yet sharp horns. They are born completely white but are able to stand right after hatching. Either one or both of the parents watch over the newborns until they're yearlings (a time that only takes one week in earth time) and grow a duller version of their future adult patterns. It takes up to two to four weeks later until they finally grow to adult size and are become fully colored and patterned.

Ages are unusual when questioning the Chrysaora Basilisk. First Births and Second Births 'age' differently, so their years of existence are taken into account instead (Chrysaora up for adoption are usually more than two hundred years old). The oldest known individuals are the five vices, beasts of untold power, rarely seen, who are over a millennium in years. They seemed to stop appearing for the longest time afterwards though, until humans and beats repopulated Lucent once more. Nowadays the oldest Chrysaora you could find is no more than a thousand years old.

It is best to keep up with the years your Chrysaora has lived, it's simple. Just count the weeks after the age when they were when you adopted it. For example, say you adopted a 283 year old male. Just add a year on for whenever another week passes. For second births just count the week as well, though you'll start from 0.

Conjoining
Conjoining is the term for a human bonding with his or her Chrysaora. The bond cannot be broken by the beast, but can be partially broken by the human partner. Breaking a Conjoining is mercilessly painful for both sides and leaves the Chrysaora Basilisk with an ill, broken temper and never fully loses it's attributes that it gained from it's first partner.

Anyways, a single human is capable of Conjoining with how many ever Chrysaora he or she can (though it's not a guarantee that they won't attack each other, especially fatally). Because of how prideful the breed is, an act of tried Conjoining is a huge risk. Make any wrong step or anger the Chrysaora and it'll be all over exactly at that moment. Making it even riskier is the fact that not all Chrysaora can be tried for in the same exact way. The more shyer and timid types seem to prefer either the same shyness leveled human, or possibly even one more demanding. Extremely haughty Chrysaora usually will let an equally strong partner Conjoin with them, though it's not the same for all.

Though knowing this, what the humans of Lucent have come to understand is that the best method of approaching a wild Chrysaora is to walk up slowly and be yourself, to never let your eyes blink and to maintain constant eye contact. One blink and the Chrysaora does have the power to perform the Glare as soon as your eyes open back up. After getting close enough to the individual you sought out, swiftly bow and if the Chrysaora takes a liking to you, you'll feel it's horn lightly graze the top of your shoulder. Unwarranted Conjoinings have also happened in the past. Because the horn holds the strongest part of the Chrysaora Basilisk, it is its touch that controls the bond.

Features
- Body structure is similar to a Haflinger
- Ears are long and narrow and filled with tiny, sharp hairs to catch vibrations that their nourishment causes in the air
- Eyes are unlike normal equines and have a dark, circle pupil in the center of their eye surrounded by a brighter color
-- Eyes are only ever seen in shades of red, orange, and yellow similar to sea nettle colors
- Graced with one large horn on their forehead and then one smaller, curved one between their eyes.
-- Horns are used as offensive attacks
- Fjord-like mane which grows long and curly near the shoulders
- Tail and better part of mine are slick, iridescent, and waves with pure energy that stuns it's predators and pulls off like a lizard's tail
-- Tail is usually held high or straight out
- Hooves are unique for climbing and grips the rock with millions of tiny hairs that latch on a surface when need-be
-- Front hooves are split into three and the back are split into four.
- Foals are born white and take a month after hatching to grow into an adult

Chrysaora can be any spectrum of colors and patterns except for white, as that color is considered pure and untainted. A fine contrast to the breed indeed.
Last edited by woolly on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:56 am, edited 27 times in total.
woolly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: chrysaora basilisk

Postby dragons whisper » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:05 am

very awesome!
dragons whisper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wind Song » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:34 am

Oh wow wow wow these are so stunning * A *
    I love their whole concept, very well thought out!
    But visually too.. They're just gorgeous!
    Those tails are so delicate, like jellyfish (chrysaora!) or seaweed <3

I would love to adopt or design one some day aaah, I really hope they become a popular species like they deserve!

hello !
call me windy ~

D A M s

''and then i felt
chills in my bones ''
Wind Song

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woolly » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:45 am

thanks dragon whisper!

oh you're too nice wind song <33
they won't be official adopts until i get a new tablet in a week or two, but in the meantime, if you'd like i can add you and and you can make yourself one(:

the major thing with their coats is that they cannot be white, as that color is usually thought to be pure and untainted (though when born /breeding will be explained later/ they're completely white). their eyes are only shades of red, yellow, and orange and they can have any sort of markings/patterns/and colors on both body and hair.
hanging around collecting butterfly wolves
woolly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HorseJess » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:21 am

Beautiful species, and absolutely stunning lines. Well done! ^^<3
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

ᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪ'ʟʟ ᴅᴏsᴇ ᴏғғ
sᴀғᴇ ᴀɴᴅ sᴏᴜɴᴅʟʏ
ʙᴜᴛ ɪ'ʟʟ ᴍɪss ʏᴏᴜʀ
ᴀʀᴍs ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴍᴇ
ɪ'ʟʟ sᴇɴᴅ ᴀ ᴘᴏsᴛᴄᴀʀᴅ
ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴇᴀʀ

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

✧Tʜᴇ sᴛᴀʀs ʟᴇᴀɴ ᴅᴏᴡɴ
ᴛᴏ Image ʏᴏᴜ ☆゚.*・。゚
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
➸Female•INFP•
•Artist•Mildly Eccentric•
➸Status:
You've got this♥
➸Quote: This bud of love,
by summer's ripening
breath, May prove a
beauteous flower
when next we meet.
(Romeo and Juliet, 2.2)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
☽ Aɴᴅ I ʟɪᴇ ᴀᴡᴀᴋᴇ
ᴀɴᴅ Image ʏᴏᴜ ☾
HorseJess

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wind Song » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:33 am

Aaah wow, really? Id love to!! Thanks so much dear * O *
    And oh right, well I look forward to the day you get it then haha, new tablets are fun c::

Oh and got it! That's really unique though, I like when there's certain rules on design as it makes them much more realistic ^v^

hello !
call me windy ~

D A M s

''and then i felt
chills in my bones ''
Wind Song

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lrjj » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:50 am

These are so beautiful oh me gawd I love them <3 so perfect

♥ My birthday : 21st August ♥
╔═════════════════════════════════╗

Flight Rising Lair :

Clcik the shiny boy to be taken there

Flight Rising Tumblr :

Click the sparkly child to be taken there

╚═════════════════════════════════╝
lrjj

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby versicolor » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:36 pm

wow, these are gorgeous! *o* hopefully I'll see them around the adoptable oekaki board one day nwn

Dream pet acheived 1/6/14 ♥
Yo I used to be Jelli.
versicolor (adj.) - 1. changing in color, iridescent: versicolor skies.
2. of various colors

ask.fm
mac and cheese
versicolor

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Wolf's Spirit » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:44 pm

oh wow these are amazing, I really want one XD I can't wait for the official thread to open, until then I'll be lurking in the shadows... *lurks*
Wolf's Spirit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nobady » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:05 pm

Beautiful o3o Love the line work and over all style. And those hooves, adores <3

Dreamies: 2008 Halloween Pets
Wanted: Halloween Pets and Store Pets
Trade options include FR, WC, MM, BP, etc

"We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Tom Stoppard
Nobady

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me