Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

GABBERSTAAG [Posting open!] by Zitface

Artist Zitface [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 8 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
10 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

GABBERSTAAG [Posting open!]

Postby Zitface » Wed May 21, 2014 1:08 pm

[This is a wip, I will be updating it when I have the motivation. but we're good to go for now!]

BASIC BIOLOGY-
-Live for up to forty years.
-Four eyes. Stalk eyes are prehensile. Four perfectly transparent eyelid-like membranes on each eye to clean the eye and protect it from dust: two vertical, two horizontal.
-Amphibious. No nostrils, only heat pits on the upper lip. They breath in through their mouth, out through their gills, regardless of if they're on land or in water.
-They only have fur in their ears, where it is fine and thick to keep dust out of their sensitive ears. The rest of their body is snake-like scales, and for the tail, thin membrane-like skin.
-About the size of a small mastiff. Up to mid-thigh on the average human.
-Four short, stout legs with massive, strong claws and paws, used for digging through ocean floor sand.

COLOURATION-
-Their base is often, but not always, some kind of green, blue, or teal.
-Almost always have a faint rosy tint on their base.
-Markings can't be too bright, but can be any colour and any shape.
-Fins are always a bright colour, but please nothing eyeburning.

BEHAVIOUR-
-Easily domesticable. Like you would a snake, but easier.
-They are HIGHLY polygamous. It is rare to have a strictly monogamous Gabberstaag.
-They mate for life. This means once of a flock of Gabberstaag unite, they rarely ever separate until they die.
-Gabberstaag are highly sociable, but can be raised alone and still be perfectly healthy and happy.
-They are essentially giant snakes with arms when it comes to feeding and handling: They get very bitey before and just after feeding if you aren't careful, and are either jumpy or bitey if they are headshy and you touch them on the head.
-Like snakes, they're all naturally headshy, but they can be trained out of it.
-They are very good lifelong companions, especially for a person who lives alone.
-50/50% hetero/homosexuality rates.
-A female who lays eggs will place the bright pink fertile ones underneath the rest of the hard, black infertile ones to deter predators and competitor males.

BREEDING HABITS-
-Females produce up to 200 eggs per breeding. 100 are fertilized, and up to eighty grow to adulthood. Eggs vary greatly in size.
-Infertile eggs solidify into very hard, black pearl-like objects in under and hour. Humans commonly use these as mourning gifts or condolences for parents who lost children.
-Fertile eggs turn bright pink and retain the gelatinous consistency.
-Females carry all eggs in their tails, which greatly reduces their swimming efficiency and makes them easy prey. All of her mates flock around her to protect her from predators or competition males.

OFFSPRING-
-Due to the translucence of the Gabberstaag egg, it is easy to see the infant in the egg once it is near hatching. This is due to the size of it pressing up against the walls of the egg, increasing the transparency of it. Younger eggs are dark pink and murky, and thus you will not see an infant inside of them until they are nearing hatching.
-Gabberstaag young are called "babes".
-Babes are born naked, without the fin/membrane, which grows in about a week about hatching.
-Babes develop claws three days after hatching.
-Babes eat the remnants of their eggs once hatched.

DIET AND HABITAT-
-Subsist mainly on flounder, crustaceans, eels, and other sea floor dwelling creatures.
-They live primarily around reefs and coastal shelves, where the floor is easy to reach and just malleable enough and there is a good supply of either varied wildlife or potentially delectable detritus, respectively.
-In their natural habitat, they dig burrows deep into ocean floor. The deep ones are dens, the shallow ones are nests.
-They need sunlamps if kept in domestication, as they sun for around a single hour per day.

MISCELLANEOUS TRIVIA-
-Gabberstaag is plural and singular.
-Gabberstaag, if left unchecked and not hunted, will overpopulate so badly they have been known to destroy ecosystems.
-Because of the previous, Gabberstaag are not only exceptionally good pets, they are also common meat. Fertile eggs are a very common meals in hubs of Gabberstaag populations.
-Infertile eggs are a delicacy among humans. A special hormone that is easily harvested from a female without harming her is used to keep them from hardening for weeks on end, and is coveted at restaurants that serve them.
Last edited by Zitface on Mon May 26, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Staff

Postby Zitface » Wed May 21, 2014 1:11 pm

I'm accepting artists and mods right now. Send me a PM with:
Artist: Examples of art, how often you are on, and how many you can make in a month. I'm not askign for a lot here, heh.
Mod: Reasons why I should pick you, I guess?

Artists
Artists are allowed three customs.

KiruRaki
۵Mr. Pickles۵

Mods
Mods are allowed two customs.

none yet. uvu

Guest Artists
Guest artists are allowed one custom, and must make at least two Gabberstaag. One may be their custom.

none yet. uvu
Last edited by Zitface on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Events and Special Offers

Postby Zitface » Wed May 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Customs!

For a limited time I will be offering customs to non-staff. There is, however, a catch:
You have to recommend people to these adopts. Seeing as I am getting literally no traffic here, I need to lay out a little incentive, right? Heh. Heh heh my existence is sad.
We'll be using a credit system.

HOW TO GET CREDITS

- Refer people to these adopts. They have to post on the thread or on an adopt, though, so I know for sure. [1 credit]
-A side note: If somebody has referred you and you are posting, PLEASE TELL ME AND TELL ME WHO REFERRED YOU. I can't provide credits until I know.
- Promote us in your adoptables thread (I'll be sponsoring back, too) [2 credits] / Sponsor us in your signature [3 credits]

- Make gift art of someone else's Gabberstaag [4 credits]

- Make gift lines [6 credits]

-You can BUY CREDITS. One rare per credit.

CREDIT SYSTEM

One Credit: Gabberstaag egg. "Hatchable", but the design is predestined. [+1 credit for items]

Two credits: Simple custom. Base color, one type of marking, likes spots or stripes. No lineart edits. [+1 credit for items]

Three credits: "Customisable" Gabberstaag Egg [add one item OR marking]/ Alternatively two 1 credit eggs.

Four credits: Basic custom. Base color, one complex marking or more than one simple markings. Two lineart edits. [+1 credit for items]

Five credits: Customisable Gabberstaag egg [add an item/marking, add an item/marking] / Alternatively three 1 credit eggs or two 3 credit eggs.

Six credits: Complex custom. Base color, complex markings, multiple lineart edits. [+1 credit for items]

CREDITS BANK

Sno Leopard: 3 CREDITS [Sponsored Gabberstaag in KTT Adopts]

I will end this event on June 13th.
Last edited by Zitface on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Reserve Post

Postby Zitface » Wed May 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Reserve.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: GABBERSTAAG [Posting open!]

Postby Zitface » Wed May 21, 2014 1:40 pm

We are now open for posting, and I'm looking for artists!
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spaceeboyyy » Wed May 21, 2014 3:00 pm

These are so cool. To bad I don't have a creative cell in my brain, otherwise I'd totally try out for artist.
I'm excited to adopt some c:
pansexual • genderfluid • he/him
nerd • archer • musician • a walking talking meme • blogger • taking commissions •
• im super awkward pls talk to me •
im a band kid. i play melodic percussion and bass clarinet
talk to me about music/marching band we'll be bffs

u can call me ollie <3

And as the word comes to an end,
I'll be here to hold your hand
'cause you're my king and I'm your lionheart.
A lionheart.

-Of Monsters and Men, "King and Lionheart"
Spaceeboyyy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zitface » Sun May 25, 2014 10:12 am

Thank you ^u^

I am offering customs now! Check the event post for more information.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zitface » Sun May 25, 2014 11:12 am

Oh thank you u3u

haha guess who just finished egg lines
dis guy
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zitface » Tue May 27, 2014 3:41 am

Bump, I've added a section about Gabberstaag young!
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zitface » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:25 am

Would you guys be interested in breeding lines?
I wouldn't be putting them out YET, only once there are, at the very least, ten adopted Gabberstaag.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me