duinne #3 ✿ Nacoma by faraday

Based on Click to view
Artist faraday [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour, 50 minutes
Drawing sessions 2
8 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

duinne #3 ✿ Nacoma

Postby faraday » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:02 am

Duinnes are an ancient race of tiny androgynous forest spirits. They are very social creatures and spend most of their time with and around other duinnes, however they usually are not very fond of humans. They are very small, and range in size from 4 to 8 inches tall when fully grown. They are all very unique, and will decorate themselves with flowers, jewelry, and even tattoos, much like humans do. They are often mistaken for fairies, however they do not have wings and they cannot fly. They spend most of the day sleeping, and their favorite beds are flowers. Duinnes eat primarily small berries, flowers, seeds, and root vegetables. Duinnes are excellent climbers, and have strong, stout fingers equipped with short claws that help with grip. They are very good at camouflaging themselves with their environment, and can be found hiding under rocks, leaves, and even pieces of loose bark. They are very crafty, and love to cause mischief.

This duinne hails from the great plains of North America. It and it's kin follow the migration patterns of the buffalo, much like Native Americans used to years ago. To win this duinne, you must write a short story of what one day in the life of this duinne might look like. The end-date is April 10th!

Code: Select all
Username:
Name:
Short Story:

Good luck! :)
Last edited by faraday on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
faraday

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: duinne #3 ✿ up for adoption

Postby amamile » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 am

Username;;
I'm Unboxed

Name;;
Ahote
Native American ;; Restless one

Short Story;;
"Ahote, get off of that buffalo!" Nanuk grimaces, gesturing animatedly towards the grassy plains the other duinne currently stands on. Ahote sighs and slides off the mass of fur, rolling his eyes. Nanuk speeds towards him, now ranting hysterically. something about being crushed, eaten, or maybe being carried off by an eagle? Ahote isn't really listening. Xe shrugs and trots off towards Anoki and Alo, Nanuk's glare burning a hole through xyrs back. Xe almost feels bad for disregarding Xyrs elders concern, xe had cared for xem for most xyrs life after all, but that was the very thing that made Ahote want to get away from his northern friend. Xe smiles as Alo pushes Anoki, who naturally falls into the buffalo dung on the left, dragging Alo down with him. Those two have the worst luck. Ahote raises his gaze towards the dying sunlight with a frown. Nanuk had been right when xe said they were falling behind. They had been travelling for what, a moon? More? heavy flooding in the south had caused a substantial slowdown in their travel, but they had faced worse. Xe flinches as Hassun, their leader, calls for them to take shelter. The nagging suspicion that they had fallen too far behind followed Xem to the makeshift camp, further enforced by the sullen expression on Hassun and Tuari's faces. Their leaders were usually cheerful and optimistic, grins seemed permanently stuck on their faces. Speaking of which, the stress seemed to have had an effect on Xyrs clan-mates, who were usually as upbeat as their leaders, were now sulking. Ahote frowns determinedly as he trudges off towards the nests to sleep. Tomorrow he decides will be the day xe does something to help xyrs clan, instead of lazing around as xe's done so much in the past.

➳ timeskip//three weeks

"Ahote, are we there yet?" "Ahote, I think kieko ate all the berries" "Ahote, I accidentally set fire to the forest what do I do". Why, why did xe feel it necessary to allow this fairy to tag along. Not only did she chatter constantly, her forest spirit companion wreaked havoc on their supplies. They were supposed to be finding a route across the water, not watching foolish young fairies. Xe feels like Nanuk as Xe lectures her on not playing with fire, how had she even managed to set a fire in all this rain? Ahote buries Xyrs head in the buffalo's fur. Riding the buffalo had been her idea, so xe supposes there was some benefit to letting her tag along. She has the nerve to sigh as Kieko, the spirit, wages war on the flames. Ahote glares at her. Nanuk had rubbed off on xem more than xe had thought.

Note//I went with xe pronouns, but I'm still memorizing them so sorry if something's a bit off+I originally wrote this with male pronouns because I had no idea if I should use they, xe, or Ne, so sorry if I missed a 'he', it wasn't intentional <3
Last edited by amamile on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
ama . adult . she/her
i come back to visit now n then
thsig art credit
amamile

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rivkah » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:36 am

username: Rivkah
      name: Nacoma, a Comanche name meaning "wanderer."
      short story:

The buffalo was their source of food, weapons, and shelter. Every part was used, nothing wasted. Where the buffalo moved, they moved. Buffalo moving meant the camp being packed up. Nacoma had known this from a very early age and was dedicated to his life. When hunting, he always prayed for the spirit of the animal to forgive him and understand his need to kill it. Before sleeping, he always gave thanks to the spirits of whatever he was using, whether it be bone tools or buffalo and deer skin. He had been proud to receive his war paint upon entering adulthood.

And yet he felt alone. He was amongst friends and family, kin of all ages, and he had everything he could want. Yet he was solitary, in his own little world, speaking to the spirits almost constantly as he felt no connection with others his age. He had no wish for a life partner as some of the victorious young men did. He knew to stay with the tribe, and yet he dreamed of following after the spirits of the plains and the buffalo on his own, and seeing what everything was like without having to go back to camp by sundown.

Of course, he was no deserter. He would only leave if blessed to leave. Pondering over all this as he lay in wait for a buffalo grazing with his fellow huntsmen, he realized that as routine as this was, as much as he had grown to love it, there was more out there. Yet, still, some things required teamwork and he could not be selfish. There was a small cry of assent and they all moved as one to take down the beast once they had finished thanking the spirit gods for it.

Once it had been successfully defeated, they moved back to camp. Nacoma raised his head as they entered the new camp they had finished setting up, and saw the medicine elder catch his eye. She seemed to know exactly what sort of conflicts were going through his head, because she beckoned him over and placed two feathers in his hands. "Trust your instincts," was all she said before dismissing him to help divide the buffalo for the camp.

What did his instincts say? He fastened the eagle feathers to his hair as he pondered this.

note: I assigned this one male gender pronouns as no specific one was given. I hope this is allowed.
Last edited by Rivkah on Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't check messages here. If you've found me through other websites or communities such as deviantART/Kiamaras, my characters are not for sale and never will be.
Rivkah

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby naturalharmony. » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:11 am

Username: NaturalHarmony
Name: Taini - meaning New moon in Omaha (a Native American language)
Short Story: The moon shone pale and round in a cloudless ebony blanket of stars and shone a thin, watery light on a group of Duinnes making their way through a vast field of grass. A little further ahead, were a herd of buffalo also ambling through the field and grazing silently on the new spring growths.

"Mom," a small Duinne began, moving a strand of her long brunette hair away from her face. "Why do we follow the buffalo? Why not go somewhere different?" She asked and looked up at the taller Duinne walking beside her.

"Well, Taini, it's all sorts of reasons really. It's a mixture of tradition and just keeping as close as possible to what we need. If we keep close to the buffalo then we have our food, tools and clothes right there for us. The buffalo is our guide to the richest grass and plants and to the largest water sources. We need them to survive." Her mother explained patiently before lifting Taini onto her shoulders.

"Oh.." Taini murmured, hugging her mother's neck for grip. She gazed up at the stars that seemed to watch over them and frowned. "What about the stars, are they," The small Duinne stopped to count some of the stars, "our guides? Do they help us in some way?"

"Hmm.." The older Duinne murmured before grabbing Taini's legs and lifting her off her shoulders. She smiled and held her upside down by her feet, swinging her around.

"Mom!" Taini giggled, grabbing her skirt that was beginning to lift off and pushing it back down. "Mom! Let me down!" She shouted, trying to loosen her mother's grip on her ankles.

"Alright, little one," She turned her round slowly then dropped her into the long, soft grass. "Time to sleep.." Wrapping a thick buffalo skin around Taini, she kissed her goodnight and then leapt onto a nearby rock, watching the buffaloes silently.
Last edited by naturalharmony. on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naturalharmony.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby faraday » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:55 am

One day left to post/finish forms!
faraday

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby faraday » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:06 am

Congrats to Rivkah! Enjoy your new duinne, Nacoma!

p.s., unboxed, I appreciate the fact that you used "xe" pronouns!
faraday

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: duinne #3 ✿ Nacoma

Postby Rivkah » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:19 am

thank you so much <33 I'll keep Nacoma very close.
I don't check messages here. If you've found me through other websites or communities such as deviantART/Kiamaras, my characters are not for sale and never will be.
Rivkah

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: duinne #3 ✿ Nacoma

Postby amamile » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:58 pm

ahh shame I didn't win, but Rivkah totally deserved them <3
ama . adult . she/her