Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Purrthea Adopts - CLOSED SPECIES by Bebop

Based on Click to view
Artist Bebop [gallery]
Time spent 10 hours, 26 minutes
Drawing sessions 15
64 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

by Bebop

by Bebop

by Bebop

by Bebop

by Bebop

by Bebop

by Ivyy

Purrthea Adopts - CLOSED SPECIES

Postby Bebop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:38 am

PURRTHEA ADOPTS

Purrthea Fanclub The Portal (coming soon) Purrthea Canon The Nursery

Introduction

It is common knowledge that the felid species known as Smilodon fatalis went extinct 10,000 years ago. However that information is incorrect and very few know the truth. Smilodon fatalis did not go instinct after the ending of the last ice age, it instead retreated into the mountains of the world and underwent change to evolve into a new type of creature, one with greater intelligence and the ability of long range teleportation. These creatures reside mainly in a world parallel to the world of humans and call themselves Purrtheas.

Rules

Please respect all Purrthea staff, Purrthea owners, and anyone else who posts here.
You may not sell your Purrthea for anything.
You may gift your Purrthea, but you must contact me first.
You may only own 4 Purrtheas.
No bribing anyone about anything.
At the time there is no breeding function.
No complaining about losing, and try not to be negative in general.
Do not ask for a custom or to edit an existing Purrthea.
Please don't spam this thread with random things.

About

What is a Purrthea?

A Purrthea, or Purr for short, is a large feline creature. They have oversized fangs and long fluffy coats and eat pretty much whatever they can get their paws on. However the most fascinating thing about Purrtheas is the culture that they have formed, mainly their rituals involving tea. When a Purrthea reaches 3 years of age, the part of its brain that controls teleportation finishes growing. At that point a Purrthea is allowed to go on a journey into the human world and bring back a teacup. Purrtheas are not forced to undergo this challenge, but a Purrthea will not be officially recognized as an adult until it proves itself by obtaining a teacup. When a Purrthea decides to leave the cave of its parents, it must venture into the human world again and obtain a teapot of its own. Most Purrtheas prefer to live in their own world, but some prefer to live in the world of humans. Of those that live in the world of humans, ever fewer have contact with humans. But who knows, maybe someday you will have an encounter with a Purrthea.

Thumbs:

All Purrthea have thumbs on their forelegs, the better to hold their teacups with. No Purrthea is ever born without thumbs, though some Purrs are born with longer thumbs than others.

Teacups:

Teacups are very important to Purrtheas and Purrthea culture, as how would they drink tea without teacups? Purrthea teacups come in many shapes, colors, and sizes, but hardly ever will two be the same. Young Purrs will drink tea out of their parent’s teacups until they are old enough to retrieve their own. Past that point though, they will only drink tea out of their own teacups. A Purrthea’s teacup is very special to them, and it is considered extremely inappropriate for a Purr to drink from another Purr’s teacup without their permission. And permission to do so is given very rarely, usually between two mates or very close friends and is considered a great honor. When a Purrthea dies, their teacup is broken and the shards are buried with them. If a teacup is to break when a Purrthea is still alive, it is considered a very bad omen. Said Purrtheas are allowed to seek out replacement teacups, but their replacement cup is never as special to them as their original cup.

Teapots:

Like teacups, teapots come in many shapes and sizes. However unlike teacups, teapots are not as private and personal, it is common for Purrtheas to serve their friends and family tea from their teapots. Very rarely does a teapot match the teacup of its owner, and when it does it usually signifies a Purr who had a poor relationship with their parents and went for both the teacup and teapot in the same trip. When a Purrthea dies, their teapot is shattered and the shards are given to their friends and family with which to remember them by. Teapots breaking is not really a big deal, it is sad yes but easily remedied by obtaining a new teapot.

Shards

Shards are pieces of either teacups or teapots that a Purrthea may come to possess. This might happen if a Purrthea breaks their teacup or teapot, or if they receive a piece of a deceased Purrthea’s teapot. Usually the shards are kept in the Purrthea’s cave or nest, but occasionally they are turned into jewelry.

Tea Drinking

All Purrtheas enjoy drinking tea, hence the fact that they seek out teacups and teapots. Different Purrs prefer different kinds of tea though, and luckily most of the necessary plants grow in the Purrthea’s world. Legend says that Purrthea’s began drinking tea back when they were still Smilodon fatalis, and that the tea drinking was in fact what triggered the change. But most Purrs don’t believe the old tales and disregard them as silly. After all, what kind of tea would be capable of changing an animal’s DNA?

Fur

Purrtheas have long fluffy fur that is very soft to the touch. Sometimes Purrtheas will have longer or shorter fur than normal, but that is a fairly rare occurrence. Purrtheas aren’t lions, and they don’t really have manes. However as their fur is long, they have the ability to create fake bangs on their foreheads as they so wish. Some Purrtheas will go as far as to bunch up bits of their neck and head fur, but very rarely do Purrthea exist who have fur that is long enough to truly imitate hair. Purrthea fur comes in many different colors, but for the most part these colors are natural.

Fangs

All Purrtheas have oversized fangs. Some Purrthea fangs are small enough so that they don’t stick out, while some stick out a bit, and others protrude down past the Purrthea’s chin. It is not unheard of for Purrthea fangs to grow even longer than that, or to possess strange mutations, but Purrthea who possess either are exceedingly rare.

Teleportation

All Purrtheas possess the ability to teleport. Nobody knows where this power came from, or even how it came to be; but it is a very large part of how the Purrtheas managed to avoid extinction and how they continue to maintain their secrecy from humans. The ability to teleport will always manifest itself in a Purr when they are around three years of age, because it takes three years for the part of the Purr’s brain that controls the teleportation to fully develop. Purrthea teleportation is not like what you might imagine though, it only works long range and is not very precise. Purrs can use it to travel from their world to Earth (and back) and to travel from continent to continent. And teleporting uses up a lot of energy, Purrs should generally wait two weeks after teleporting before they teleport again. To try otherwise would pose great danger to the Purrthea, and maybe even death.

Growing

2 Human Months = One Purrthea Year.
One Human Week = Two Purrthea Weeks
(No, it dosen’t make sense. Deal with it.)

It takes Purrtheas three years to grow up. Once they grow up though, you don’t have to continue to age them; they can live as long as you want.

Young Purrtheas- Housecat to German Shepard Sized.
Adult Purrtheas- Lion to Horse Sized.

Other

It is not unusual for Purrtheas to wear jewelry and other accessories, sometimes they will make their own and sometimes they will steal them from humans. They don’t wear a ton of accessories though, and never full clothing.

Purrthea are instinctively monogamous, and form very close bonds with their mate. To betray their mate or to take another mate after their first mate dies goes against the very core of a Purrthea.

Sometimes young Purrthea will remain young forever. It seems that there is something in their DNA that prevents them from ever developing past kittens. These Purrs are referred to as “Frozen Kits” and occur very rarely.

Purrtheas can be straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, gender queer, asexual, or really whatever. Purrthea society is very accepting of each Purrthea’s sexuality.

Staff

Owner: Bebop

[strike]Guest Artists
Applications are: closed

Please read this post before applying

Code: Select all
Username:
Design examples: (5 max)[/strike]

Stikes/Bans:

(None yet. In order to keep it this way, let’s avoid things like flame wars, trolling, art theft, breaking the rules, and constant spamming.)

Affiliates:
Last edited by Bebop on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:03 am, edited 24 times in total.
Bebop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Updates & News

Postby Bebop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:39 am

Updates & News

NEWS NEWS
1/4/14; The Purrthea child lines and nursery are now up.
The species remains closed.

Old News

10/15/13; There is now information available known as Purrthea Canon, which needs to be followed to ensure canon characters and ideas

10/3/13: Many new Purrs up for adoption and GA slots have opened ^^

9/10/2013: The first adoptable has been up, and is still up as a prize in an advertisement raffle. Also some of you have been asking about becoming artists:

I've been thinking about this one..........I think that I'm going to color these by myself for a little bit, because I need time to decide what colors and patterns I want to allow. But once I have that figured out I am going to open up Guest Artist slots and you are quite welcome to apply then ^^

9/7/2013: The Purrthea thread has been created. I've been planning this species for a while, and meant to start it when I had more free time, but hey I got bored and look here it is. The first adoptable will be up by tonight.
Last edited by Bebop on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
Bebop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Fanart & Bling

Postby Bebop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:39 am

Fanart

Drawn by Mangoes

Bling

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1973792]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/250/e/b/purrthea_adopts_stamp_by_pigeonbacon-d6lesxl.png[/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1973792][img]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/250/b/1/purrthea_adopts_banner_by_pigeonbacon-d6leutu.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by Bebop on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bebop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Reserved

Postby Bebop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:40 am

Reserved.
Last edited by Bebop on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bebop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Reserved

Postby Bebop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:40 am

Reserved.
Bebop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Purrthea Adopts- GRAND OPENING

Postby Bebop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:05 am

OK this thread is now officially open.
ImageImage i lived.
Bebop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Purrthea Adopts- GRAND OPENING

Postby stoatkiss » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:26 am

This is such a creative idea, I love it!
Good luck with the species and I hope it's successful!
Also, marking
Rhea/Max
it/they/she/he
adult

formerly Ejecta

TH
xxxxx

stoatkiss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery