Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

wip by Naira

Artist Naira [gallery]
Time spent 39 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
One person likes this Log in to vote for this drawing

wip

Postby Naira » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:26 am

Lots of critique needed. I will be fixing a lot, so WIP....xD

If you need help with something on CS, you can use the help system OR ask me!

TradesCharactersNew dAArt Shop{closed}GRP Club!Helpful Guide
Naira wrote:I am a very friendly person, and I don't mind random PM's. I am a RolePlayer and a big Fantasy Art Fan, who loves animals! (And loves Disney villains)
Skully Custom Art, By Fitch <3...Custom Skully, by TheCalicoTabby
Naira

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: wip

Postby DoctorDraca » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:19 am

Well, I'm not too good at written critique so I thought I'd do a quick redline. It's a little stylised, I apologise.

You're doing good, no doubt about that, but you seem to have skipped some basics. The basic "skeleton" seems to be missing. I always start from a circle and draw some helplines to get all the features in the proper places, which helps quite a lot. The most major issues in your sketch were proportions. But those are hard (I screw up on them all the time too). Especially the neck was too small for the head, and certain facial features were too big to allow room for others. The eyes were slightly too far apart. If you have issues with that, draw a third eye in between the two eyes, that ought to be the distance of the eyes.

When doing outlines and lineart, the nose of a woman is generally not fully defined to keep the femininity. Sketching out the tip is more than enough for the viewer to imagine the rest. Personally, I also place some lines at the base, but that's style. Same goes for the lips. If you define part of the lips, you don't need to draw full lines. The bottom lip can be defined easily with just a small curve. This also goes for the upper lip (although I drew it fully). Collarbones are tricky things. Just remember that they start somewhat above where the curve of the shoulder begins. I didn't draw the ears seeing as you wished to cover them with the hair. Perhaps I should have.

The best advice I can offer you is to look into a mirror if you want to get some facial features right. Everyone's different, but it's a good start. Also, don't be afraid to look up references online, or search for tutorials. They can help immensily.

I hope this wasn't too harsh or anything, and I hope this helps a little. c:
------------------- ◊ -------------------
toyhousedeviantarttracker dogs
DoctorDraca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: wip

Postby Naira » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:33 am

DoctorDraca wrote:Well, I'm not too good at written critique so I thought I'd do a quick redline. It's a little stylised, I apologise.

You're doing good, no doubt about that, but you seem to have skipped some basics. The basic "skeleton" seems to be missing. I always start from a circle and draw some helplines to get all the features in the proper places, which helps quite a lot. The most major issues in your sketch were proportions. But those are hard (I screw up on them all the time too). Especially the neck was too small for the head, and certain facial features were too big to allow room for others. The eyes were slightly too far apart. If you have issues with that, draw a third eye in between the two eyes, that ought to be the distance of the eyes.

When doing outlines and lineart, the nose of a woman is generally not fully defined to keep the femininity. Sketching out the tip is more than enough for the viewer to imagine the rest. Personally, I also place some lines at the base, but that's style. Same goes for the lips. If you define part of the lips, you don't need to draw full lines. The bottom lip can be defined easily with just a small curve. This also goes for the upper lip (although I drew it fully). Collarbones are tricky things. Just remember that they start somewhat above where the curve of the shoulder begins. I didn't draw the ears seeing as you wished to cover them with the hair. Perhaps I should have.

The best advice I can offer you is to look into a mirror if you want to get some facial features right. Everyone's different, but it's a good start. Also, don't be afraid to look up references online, or search for tutorials. They can help immensily.

I hope this wasn't too harsh or anything, and I hope this helps a little. c:

Thanks Draca! This helped a lot! <3

If you need help with something on CS, you can use the help system OR ask me!

TradesCharactersNew dAArt Shop{closed}GRP Club!Helpful Guide
Naira wrote:I am a very friendly person, and I don't mind random PM's. I am a RolePlayer and a big Fantasy Art Fan, who loves animals! (And loves Disney villains)
Skully Custom Art, By Fitch <3...Custom Skully, by TheCalicoTabby
Naira

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me