Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

Halt by Spartan-117~TMC~H3

Artist Spartan-117~TMC~H3 [gallery]
Time spent 12 hours, 45 minutes
Drawing sessions 5
2 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Halt

Postby Spartan-117~TMC~H3 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 am

Halt is an extremely highly qualified Ranger and Will's mentor. Although being described as grim and unfriendly, he has a soft side when it comes to the people that he cares about. Originally from Clonmel, Hibernia, he escaped to Araluen at a young age. He is famous throughout all of Araluen for his mysterious ways and seemingly unstoppable nature.

His legendary status also comes from the fact that it was he who seemingly implanted the fear of horses to the Wargals. In the battle of Hackham Heath during the Morgarath's rebellion, he led a large force of Araluen cavalry through a secret ford and ambushed Morgarath's army, relieving the beleaguered Araluen main force and routing Morgarath's army. The few surviving Wargals created a fear of horses among further generations. At this time a man called Daniel saved Halt from a guaranteed death when he was cornered by Wargals. This man gave his life to spare Halt's and in return Halt protected his son, Will, and took him to Redmont to live in the castle ward until Will showed skills of a Ranger.
Halt is best friends with Crowley, the Ranger Corps Commandment, and they both get along very well. Their friendship developed when they were young rangers and they are known to have revitalized the Ranger Corps, and just after that period Halt and Crowley soon began to build on the legends of the Rangers by defeating an evil bandit. This is discussed in the short story The Hibernian.

Halt is also one of King Duncan's most trusted advisors and the King is saddened when he has to banish Halt for a year in The Icebound Land. Halt publicly insults him so he can go after Will, who had been kidnapped by Skandians in the events of book two. Halt is grieved by this also though he tried not to let it show (as ever). Halt is also an enemy of Temujai as he "borrowed" a breed of their horses so that the Rangers have their horses today, and he also learned to make a recurve bow during his stay with them. Not much is known about the period he spent with the Temujai apart from that he fought alongside and also against them. His skills with his weapons are so legendary and skillful that even if he claims that he had missed his shot, everyone knows he had hit it. His longbow is larger than that of most Rangers', as in Halt's Peril, Will states his longbow is " One of the heaviest he'd seen, and even the strongest man, without proper technique could only bring it to half draw". He is likely the most skilled of all the Rangers. He is described as being slightly more accurate and a faster shooter than his former apprentice, Will, who is a better shot than Crowley and Gilan. However, Will is said to be nearly as skilled as his mentor, and may even surpass him with more training, which Halt himself has claimed.

The timer doesn't lie.....

My resource of lines.
http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/6165/1/1/h ... e-eyes.htm
http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/3967/1/1/h ... -noses.htm
Last edited by Spartan-117~TMC~H3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spartan-117~TMC~H3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Halt

Postby Spartan-117~TMC~H3 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 am

Hey Guys!!! I'm done!!
Tell me how it looks!
And Vote!
Spartan-117~TMC~H3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raine Drop » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 am

It's SO amazing! You did AWESOME!
Hey guys. I'm leaving. My mom doesn't like me playing this. I'm really sorry and I'll miss all of you. But maybe someday, I'm come back!
Raine Drop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spartan-117~TMC~H3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks
Spartan-117~TMC~H3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby soccerbean9 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:14 am

I love these books so much! when i fist saw HALT, I thought it cant be the Halt, very few people i have seen read those books... but it was! good drawing too! nice cloak color
Last edited by soccerbean9 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
soccerbean9

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spartan-117~TMC~H3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks! And yes, my friend gave me this challenge and I did it, yay! I love the books so much!
Spartan-117~TMC~H3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby soccerbean9 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:19 am

I even made a dress up of Halt (another user told me how) Image
and most other main characters here! http://www.chickensmoothie.com/accounts ... rid=143537
soccerbean9

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spartan-117~TMC~H3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:21 am

http://www.chickensmoothie.com/accounts ... ageSize=20 This is my version
Pet's name: Halt (Ranger/Will's Mentor)