Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Armored Dire Wolves- WIP, NO POSTING by Zitface

Based on Click to view
Artist Zitface [gallery]
Time spent 54 minutes
Drawing sessions 4
2 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Armored Dire Wolves- WIP, NO POSTING

Postby Zitface » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Welcome to Armored Dires! Please, take the time to read about these free adoptables.

History:
The desert Dires are a race of Dire Wolves that arose after the fall of mankind. They live in the large desolate desert that used to be the United States, while a subspecies lives in what used to be Canada, and so on so forth. Other animal species have survived as well, but the Dires are somewhere near the top of the food chain, with other predators. They get their armor from a mind dazzlingly large reserve in one of the last remaining human structures. The armor sets seem to fit the Dires amazingly, with adjustable straps they've learned to use, so they puzzle as to why humans would create them, but they don't push the matter any further. They aren't a too curious species when they mature.

Culture:
The Dires made use of the armor when their population was suffering from a biological anomaly that caused them to attack each other at certain times of the year. They gave it no specific name, but it is caused by a pheromone that a wolf secretes at it's own time of a month, which happens once a month every other year, that causes them to lose all their sense and attack any other dire that isn't a cub or a mate that comes too close to them. When they found the armor, they found it quite useful to protect themselves from themselves.
Their armor also denotes their place and position in the pack. Colored bands on each plate, and a colored stripe down the center of the helmet, tell what each wolf's rank is. The color the represents each thing varies from region to region, as the African Dires may have different colors for a position than say, the American ones. More on the subspecies later.

Markings/size:
The Dire subspecies vary drastically in size, and that will be delved into later on.
Their colorings and markings can range from natural with unnaturally colors scattered scarcely across the fur (Take the alpha of the American Dires, Bitey as an example), to purely natural. A completely unnatural coat is not possible. Eyes can come in any color possible, and the scleras are always yellowed.

Armor:
The armor is basically straight forward. Region to region varies, as it would be expected to. Armor mostly consists of a helmet, back plate, shoulder plates, and occasionally a breastplate or belly plate. Sometimes, but rarely, there may be pieces the fit over the haunches as well.

Subspecies:
American: Relatively thin fur with a silk-like texture, to retain water. They've got extremely large paws, to be able to stand on sand without sinking, much like the Canadian and Arctic subspecies. They burrow relatively close to the surface of the sand to keep cool, and the moisture in the fur keeps the walls moistly packed and thus keeps their extensive badger-like burrows from collapsing. They have litters of two to three on average. They're the size of large bulls.

Canadian: Larger than an average Dire, and also has extremely thick fur. This is the rare subspecies that doesn't have armor, only a helmet with the visor, as the fur is enough. It has horns on it's head, and the number varies from wolf to wolf. They have extremely powerful claws made for digging through ice and snow, rather than sand or dirt or mud. Much like the American, their litters consist of one to three cubs. They're the size of large draft horses, to the size of a small truck.

African: Large, webbed wings with a large and sharp, hooked claw at the end of each for clinging to cliffs or diving and attacking prey. These ones are built more like hyenas, but retain wolf facial features, and have a long tufted tail that is used to lure predators that might be able to be eaten. Their litters consist of five or six cubs. They are the size of lions.

European: About the size of a buffalo when fully grown, sleek, dark coats that are water repellent for swimming and hunting, added to not grow heavy during rainfall, sharp claws and teeth to fight off predators with strong jaws, coats grow thicker in winter and shed in summer, suitable for the mostly temperate weather. Litters are four to seven cubs.

South American: Size ranging from the size of a panther for females, while males are known to be as big as a tiger, their claws are long and sharp, with paws better suited for quietly stepping through the rainforest, dark coats could be spotted scarcely with deep greens or even bright oranges or pinks, like tropical flowers. They possess an uncanny ability to detect rivers and streams, and are adept at climbing trees. They can feed on anything from fruits to prey almost as big as males, when hunting in packs, using their noses to detect poisonous fruits from edible ones. Litters range from two to three cubs.

Australian: Size ranging about to that of a Dingo when fully grown, possessing large ears, about half the size of their heads, to circulate air and cool off, as well as hear far off distances and water. Sharp, large fangs and deadly large paws and claws, powerful legs for jumping a record of 9 feet into the air. Fur is thin and lightly colored, bleached by the sun and genetic for cooling purposes. Medium tails for balance, yet not long enough to be a threat for predators to grab. Thick skin on their legs helps in preventing death from snake bites, almost like leather boots. Extremely fast for catching prey, litters consisting of 3 to 5.

All subspecies of the Dire have leathery skin that is very moist lining their mouth and throat that allows them to be able to eat almost anything. They've got an extremely powerful digestive system allows them to get nourishment from almost anything they eat, even dirt or sand or wood or the like. Their eyesight is three times that of an eagle, to be able to watch for prey.
Zitface

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

News and Events

Postby Zitface » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:14 pm

No posting, WIP
Zitface