Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!

Click here to see the full Art Rules!
Need help using the Oekaki? Check out this Guide to the Oekaki!

red/pink line c: by Kohaku

Based on Click to view
Artist Kohaku [gallery]
Time spent 18 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
8 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

red/pink line c:

Postby Kohaku » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:44 pm

ok, so hopefully you have editing ability so you can play around with the opacity of the layers to see for yourself, but if not I'll type in your name.
Notes on the redline:
what I did here was to draw basic skeletons (skulls especially) and then looked at the ref to draw a general outline. The horse on the right has such a difficult pose, I commend you for taking on a challenge like that. Sketching with skeleton and muscle anatomy is always the key for me with hard to figure out poses.
The biggest part of making everything fit together in these poses I found was the front half. The skulls helped with the proportion of the heads, and the muscles for the shoulders.
Being honest, all of the issues that outlined were fixed with bone and muscle placement. My redline version is certainly not perfect, but I think since by your gallery you seem to love drawing horses the way I do, bones and muscles are the thing to study. With that comes proportion and shading and all that.
Speaking of shading, I think your drawing could benefit from taking a few refs and going really intense with your shading. Darker darks, range of colors, specifically placed highlights. Notice how the shapes of the horse work with the shading. I can see that you did do some of that here, but as I've found with shading, there is almost always more to do with it.

Your drawing is really fun! I love the idea of these playful horses.

I'm sorry I didn't have as much to say as on the last redline. I think what I drew is fairly self explanatory, unlike my last redline. That said, if I didn't make sense or forgot to re-write any run-on sentences, let me know and I'll try to explain myself.
visit my hamsters for hamsters shop here!
Kohaku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: red/pink line c:

Postby BlueKestrel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:03 pm

THANKS ^^ i really try to stay away from shading... its scary.. XD i cannot shade for my life haha but yeah i will definitely study bones and muscles this week thank you so much for all youve done, the redlines and crits (: i have no idea how to make it up to you
I'm a Boar!

Boars are simple, honest, loyal, calm, thoughtful, intelligent, hard working, strong, peace-loving, trusting
Sometimes they can be naive, gullible, materialistic, clingy.
BlueKestrel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kohaku » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Man, do I know how you feel xD I'm trying to improve mine right now, so intimidating! But worth it, and very satisfying when I learn something.
You're very welcome. I'm no great giant of an artist, but I think redlines are great because I always end up finding something that I should think about in my next drawing while also sharing it with someone else. In other words, I'm glad I could help a bit!
Kohaku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueKestrel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:19 pm

haha yup i dont bother actually shading just adding random stuff here and there. HEY! we should do a collab one day ^^ it would be fun. btw im working on a new picture right now, trying to get proportions right -__-
I'm a Boar!

Boars are simple, honest, loyal, calm, thoughtful, intelligent, hard working, strong, peace-loving, trusting
BlueKestrel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kohaku » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:24 pm

sure, why not?
I'm working on a drawing right now too, and the shading is killing me, big surprise. xD
Kohaku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlueKestrel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:31 pm

haha im only lining it right now X_x *eye twitch* it looks weird.
just looked at your gallery and i LOVE your shading style ^^ i would love watching you draw one day too
I'm a Boar!

BlueKestrel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me