あなたは日本語を話します? その後、ここで話す!

Discussion in other languages - Deutsch • Español • Français • Italiano • Nederlands • Polski • Русский • Svenska • 日本語 • 中文

Re: あなたは日本語を話します? その後、ここで話す!

Postby Colonel Meow » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:43 pm

はじめまして、わたしわうつくしです!えと。。。
I'm still learning Japanese so speaking in completely Japanese would be hard for me. For spacing when typing in hiragana and the likes, where would you make spaces or just none and leave it like how I did above? I'm worrying that my sentences will make sense if I don't space it properly so I wanna know.
Colonel Meow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mikaylahj » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Utsukushi-san wrote:はじめまして、わたしわうつくしです!えと。。。
I'm still learning Japanese so speaking in completely Japanese would be hard for me. For spacing when typing in hiragana and the likes, where would you make spaces or just none and leave it like how I did above? I'm worrying that my sentences will make sense if I don't space it properly so I wanna know.

初めまして!
Well, traditionally Japanese doesn't have spaces in their sentences and it's all one word. However, in schools, for example, teachers will tell you to put spaces after every word, put your particle in, space and another word and so on.
Eg.うま は かわいい です。
But in terms of correct Japanese you don't put any spaces in what so ever. like, うまはかわいいです。
I don't use spaces anymore as it's 'wrong' and not 'politically correct'. But if that's how you find it easier to read/write and learn, then go for it.

Oh and by the way, the 'wa' after ’わたし’ is actually written as 'ha (は)'.
mikaylahj

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby important » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:16 am

こんにちは!
juu ♡ she/they ♡
important

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Colonel Meow » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:23 am

mikaylahj wrote:初めまして!
Well, traditionally Japanese doesn't have spaces in their sentences and it's all one word. However, in schools, for example, teachers will tell you to put spaces after every word, put your particle in, space and another word and so on.
Eg.うま は かわいい です。
But in terms of correct Japanese you don't put any spaces in what so ever. like, うまはかわいいです。
I don't use spaces anymore as it's 'wrong' and not 'politically correct'. But if that's how you find it easier to read/write and learn, then go for it.

Oh and by the way, the 'wa' after ’わたし’ is actually written as 'ha (は)'.

Thanks, I just wanted that cleared up because I wasn't sure if what I was typing even made sense.

About the 'wa' being written as 'ha', why is that? Are there any other words that do that or just that one?
Colonel Meow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby important » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:32 am

Utsukushi-san wrote:
Thanks, I just wanted that cleared up because I wasn't sure if what I was typing even made sense.

About the 'wa' being written as 'ha', why is that? Are there any other words that do that or just that one?

I hope you don't mind if I answer your question?

こんにちは is spoken as "konnichiwa", but instead of adding わ (wa) at the end, we add は (ha), though it is still pronounced as 'wa' when spoken :)
    'Ha' is used when 'wa' is as a particle. Like, for example, "I am" = "watashi wa". Instead of 私(わたし)わ, you would say 私(わたし)は

I hope that clarified it a bit?
juu ♡ she/they ♡
important

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mikaylahj » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:18 am

Just remember Utsukushi-san, never doubt what you're writing. Doubting yourself is one of the worst mistakes you can make with any language!
mikaylahj

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Colonel Meow » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:49 am

ありがとう!So recently about the particle 'no', doesn't that represent ownership similar to how we say 's next to their name in English? Like, if I made a sentence like this:
わたしのやさい!
Would it correct?
Colonel Meow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mikaylahj » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:11 am

Utsukushi-san wrote:ありがとう!So recently about the particle 'no', doesn't that represent ownership similar to how we say 's next to their name in English? Like, if I made a sentence like this:
わたしのやさい!
Would it correct?

You're part of the way there. Whilst ’の’ can and does represent 'ownership' and act as ''s' it has a wider use of purposes.
And your sentence says 'My vegetables'.(But, why veggies???) Which indicates that 'no' can be used for ownership xD
But if it's used at the end of a certain structured sentence it can/will indicate a question. (But I don't think we need to worry about that right now :))
Uh, if I've missed anything or it doesn't make sense, please tell me. It's late at night whilst I'm typing this :/
mikaylahj

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Colonel Meow » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:37 am

mikaylahj wrote:
You're part of the way there. Whilst ’の’ can and does represent 'ownership' and act as ''s' it has a wider use of purposes.
And your sentence says 'My vegetables'.(But, why veggies???) Which indicates that 'no' can be used for ownership xD
But if it's used at the end of a certain structured sentence it can/will indicate a question. (But I don't think we need to worry about that right now :))
Uh, if I've missed anything or it doesn't make sense, please tell me. It's late at night whilst I'm typing this :/

It's fine. It makes sense. So 'ka' isn't the only way to make something a question? And you said certain structured sentences, can I please have an example of what kind of sentence? I don't want to be using 'ka' when it won't make sense (unless 'ka' is universal which I'm not sure).
Colonel Meow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mikaylahj » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:10 pm

Utsukushi-san wrote:
mikaylahj wrote:

It's fine. It makes sense. So 'ka' isn't the only way to make something a question? And you said certain structured sentences, can I please have an example of what kind of sentence? I don't want to be using 'ka' when it won't make sense (unless 'ka' is universal which I'm not sure).

Sure. So there's a thing called 'ru' verbs, and they typically end in ’る’ or ’う’ and it's with these sentences that you use 'no' to indicate a question instead of your general 'ka'.
Here's an example of both :)
猫はいるの? Which translates to 'is there a cat?' I mean, you can just change the form of the ru verb. (You know how you get ’て form', Dictionary form (like ru form) and a few others). Like, in the sentence below I've still used ’いる’ but I've just changed the form of the verb into ’います’ (masu form) which makes it more polite and formal.
猫がいますか?Which translates to 'is there a cat?', but in my opinion it's easier to use as I've been taught/being taught formal Japanese and so it seems normal to me.
If my whole 'explanation' is off, it's probably because we've not learnt much about 'ru' form yet and all I know is from my own research. I can give you some links to some nice websites that explain grammar if you wish!
mikaylahj

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me