Guide: Extended release pets

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

Guide: Extended release pets

Postby nickjr » Sun May 26, 2013 6:52 am

Originally titled "Guide: Pets with contradicting release and adoption dates"

Note:

These pets are not rereleases unless they were actually rereleased in a December 18th box outside of their original time of availability!
(Or a December 24, 2011 box.)

Table of Contents

• Available for a long, long time (many months)
    • These are the pets that are usually called "extended releases"
    • Includes older 2nd gens, older butterfly wolves, "Warriors" (the cats that resemble ones from the book series by Erin Hunter), and older Tess Horses
  • Available for just a few months
    • These are usually not called "extended releases"; refer to original title of this guide for why these pets are here ;)
  • Available for just a few days before or after their release month
    • These are usually not called "extended releases"; refer to original title of this guide for why these pets are here ;)
  • Other
    • Have you ever wondered about that one July 2008 rat that also appears under Advent 2008 in the archives?
    • This guy is usually not called an "extended release"; refer to original title of this guide for why this rat is here ;) He's actually a bit of a special case...

The pets in each post are grouped by species in the order of the Adopts page (dogs, equines, cats, butterfly wolves...).

If you see a link to your pet but don't want it up here, please let me know and I'll remove it. It might have been a Pound pet that was later adopted, or maybe someone provided the link on this thread but later traded it off.

About these pets

These pets fall into one of the three categories in the Table of Contents.

Some of these pets' values are a little different than what you might expect. (This mainly applies to the pets in the "Available for a long, long time (many months)" category.) Please use the "How much is this pet worth?" Thread in Chicken Smoothie Discussion and get advice on their values before completing trades that involve these pets!

People sometimes incorrectly assume that these pets are rereleases. But they aren't; they were adopted during their original adoption period, which just happened to be non-standard. So this bears repeating:

These pets are not rereleases unless they were actually rereleased in a December 18th box outside of their original time of availability! (Or a December 24, 2011 box.)

You can rest assured that the rereleases only happen on the famous December 18 during the advent calendar. ^^ It has always been that way ever since 2008 (with the exception of the additional rerelease on December 24, 2011, but it happened because of a miscalculation, and it still happened during the advent calendar).

About this thread

This guide does not talk about:

• store pets (available for two months each)

• rereleases (available every December 18th [and December 24, 2011]; every user can adopt a few random pets from past years)

• URs, zebras, White/Red/Blue Malk Dragons

• event pets (Some events cover the end of one month and the beginning of another month. A common example of this would be the Halloween event, which usually runs during the last part of October and the first few days of November.)

• recreated pets (it is rare for Nick to recreate pets, but it does happen sometimes, and recreated pets are identical to the original pets in everything [including the displayed adoption date] except for ID number, which means that the recreated pet might show up in an unusual place in a pet group since pets are organized by ID number)

Feel free to ask questions!

Latest updates:
2019-Jun-02: updated Malk dragon info in this first post (About this thread: what this guide does not talk about)

2018-Dec-26: minor wording cleanup in this first post

2018-Aug-08: figured out a better, not-as-arbitrary species order; also a long overdue update with:
  • precise July/August/September 2008 dog availability, including switching the section that the Sorbets are in
  • Lime/Ice, September 2008, and November 2008 rat availability
  • November-December 2010 Malk pet availability

2017-May-10: added 200k member litter to Available for just a few days before or after their release month; added minor clarifications of what is and isn't called an "extended release" throughout guide
Last edited by nickjr on Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:56 am, edited 25 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Available for a long, long time (many months)

Available for a long, long time (many months)

These are the pets that are usually called "extended releases"

NOTE: Be careful when trading the pets in this post! You often cannot determine the value of your pet solely from its adoption date. Please get advice on your pet's value before you make trade decisions or give advice to other people!

As a general rule of thumb, these pets are usually worth less than whatever their adoption/release dates suggest. "Usually" is the key word; some pets are in higher demand than others and may also be rarer than their littermates (like the Green Batdog), so their value is closer to what their adoption/release date may suggest. However, you still shouldn't say that, for example, the rare Gray 2nd gen PPS is worth a January 2009 rare just because it was released in January 2009.

Longer availability means that more pets were adopted as time went by, so they're usually not as rare as pets released at around the same time. You can see this reflected a little bit in the rarity tags. For example, as of August 2018, all of the regular monthly November 2008 dogs (cards, royals, pastels) are Rare or Very Rare, yet two of the Vampire x Mismatch dogs (green with purple swirls, and purple with red eyes) are still Uncommon!

You can use the "How much is this pet worth?" Thread in Chicken Smoothie Chat.

Vixen and Bobtail 2nd gen litters
August 2008 (bottom two litters) through August 2009
Vixen (made available August 16, 2008):
ImageImageImageImage
Bobtail (made available August 26, 2008):
ImageImageImage
link 1 (WayBack Machine; note the 26 August 08 news post with a Bobtail 2nd gen, which means the 16 August 08 news post must be referring to the Vixen 2nd gens), link 2 (forum discussion topic), link 3 (news post referred to in the topic), link 4 (pet)

"Vampire x Mismatch" 2nd gen litter
November 2008 (bottom litter) through August 2009
Image Image Image Image
link 1 (note the 9 November 08 news post), link 2 (forum discussion topic), link 3 (news post referred to in the topic), link 4 (pet)

Gray 2nd gen litter
January 2009 (bottom litter) through early April 2010
Image Image Image Image Image
link 1 (pet), link 2 (WayBack Machine: March 29, 2010 [there is the gray second gen litter]), link 3 (the "this forum post" that is linked to in the previous WayBack machine link), link 4 (WayBack Machine: April 14, 2010 [no gray second gen litter])

Scribble Gears 2nd gen litter
November 2009 through May 2010

Non-event Tess Horses
September 2008/October 2008 through May 20, 2009
September:
October:
Image Image Image

"Warrior" cats
July 2008/August 2008/September 2008 through August 2009
link 1 (forum discussion topic), link 2 (news post referred to in the topic)

February 2009/September 2009/November 2009 through April 2010
pet 1, pet 2

Images not included since there are way too many xD So to catch your eye, I made the text bigger.

Front Page butterfly wolves
August 2008/September 2008 through August 2009
August (made available August 13 and 17, 2008):
Image Image Image Image Image Image
September:
Image Image

Last edited by nickjr on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:26 am, edited 22 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Available for just a few months

Available for just a few months

These are usually not called "extended releases"; they're here because this thread was originally titled "Guide: Pets with contradicting release and adoption dates" ;)

Galaxies
July 2008 through August 2008
Image Image
link 1 (pet adopted July 5, 2008), link 2 (WayBack Machine; scroll down the newsbox to 1 July 08)--by process of elimination, the "4 baby pups" available on July 1 must've been the coon/noncoon, moon, sun, and white July litters and therefore did not include the galaxy litter

May 2009 Natural ponies
May 2009 through June 2009
Image Image Image Image Image Image

March 2009 butterfly wolves
March 2009 through May 2009
Image Image

September 2008 rats
September 2008 through November 8, 2008
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

November 2008 rats
November 2008 to January 5, 2009
Image Image Image
link 1 (news post saying January pets came out on January 5), link 2 (pet adopted January 3, 2009)

Last edited by nickjr on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:01 am, edited 13 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Available for a month and change

Postby nickjr » Sun May 26, 2013 6:53 am

Available for just a few days before or after their release month

These are usually not called "extended releases"; they're here because this thread was originally titled "Guide: Pets with contradicting release and adoption dates" ;)

July, August, and September 2008 pets
You may find some pets from these three months that were adopted a few days before the month started.
Examples of July 2008 pets adopted in late June 2008:
Examples of August 2008 pets adopted in late July 2008:
Examples of September 2008 pets adopted on August 31, 2008:
Reason: Releases of pets used to be done 100% manually back in 2008, which means that not all pets were released right at midnight GMT on the dot like they are nowadays. In addition, the July 2008 pets were actually put up in late June 2008.

Sorbets
July 2008; made available on July 23, 2008 and available to the end of August 2008
ImageImageImageImage
link 1 (WayBack Machine: scroll down the newsbox to 23 July 08)
(These guys are a bit different from most of the pets in this section in that despite being available for a full month + a few days before that month, they are not filed under the full/'main' month. That's a minor discrepancy, though.)

2008 Special Releases for Tessa's 2008 Birthday
All of these pets were fully grown on September 10, 2008. They were available throughout September. However, they were available to adopt (as giftboxes) starting in late August 2008.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

September 2008 dogs
September 2008 through October 7?, 2008
Reason: Chicken Smoothie moved to a new server in September 2008, so a lot of users experienced downtime. To make up for all the downtime, Tess said on October 1 that the September pets (except for the birthday pets) would continue to be available for another week. (She apparently

October 2008 dogs
October 2008 through November 7, 2008
Reason: Releases of pets used to be done 100% manually back in 2008, which means that not all pets were released right at midnight GMT on the dot like they are nowadays. Tess was busy with exams around then, so the October dogs were taken down later than usual.

November 2008 pets
November 2008 through December 2?, 2008
Reason: no particular reason

August 2009 2nd gen litter
August 2009 (first litter); made available on July 31, 2009
Image Image Image Image

200k members litter
November 2011 (last litter); made available on November 30, 2012 and available to December ?, 2011
ImageImageImageImage
(These guys are a bit different from most of the pets in this section in that they were not available for a full month and are also not filed under the full/'main' month. That's a minor discrepancy, though.)

Server litter
July 2012 (last litter); made available on June 30, 2012
ImageImageImage
Reason: On June 29/30, 2012, there was an enormous storm in Northern Virginia that knocked out CS's server; CS had to be restored from a day-old backup, and everyone was upset at the loss of nearly everything that happened on Friday, June 29, 2012. (That week was jokingly called "The Week with No Friday" for a while.) You can read more about it here. This litter was released early to help everyone recover from the data loss (and no, June's pets were not taken down early). There is also a news post about it here).

Fairytale litter
February 2016; made available on February 26, 2016 and available to the end of March 2016
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
(These guys are a bit different from most of the pets in this section in that despite being available for a full month + a few days before that month, they are not filed under the full/'main' month. That's a minor discrepancy, though.)

2009 April Fool's Day cats
April 2009; made available on March 31, 2009
ImageImage

Lime and Ice Rats
July 2008; made available on July 23, 2008 (scroll down the newsbox) and available to August ?, 2008
ImageImage

February 2009 Malk pets
February 2009 (horses and cats) through March 4, 2009
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
link 1 (forum discussion topic), link 2 (forum discussion topic), link 3 (pet)

November 2010 Malk pets
November 16, 2010 (cats and spiders) through December 12, 2010?
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
(These guys are a bit different from most of the pets in this section in that they were only available for about a month and they were released in the middle of a month. That's a minor discrepancy, though.)

Last edited by nickjr on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:04 am, edited 20 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Other

Other

You'll find this little guy under both July 2008 and Advent 2008. This rat is the only CS pet to have been released two separate times as a non-rerelease.

CS celebrates its birthday in April, but the archives start in July 2008, not April 2008. In addition, the site's two oldest second-generation puppies (August 2008) seem to have been born before their parents (Advent 2008)! Whaaat?

Well, CS pets actually did exist starting in April 2008 (back when the site was called Silent Wolf Kennelz). :D It's just that they were only images. They had no unique ID numbers. There was no difference between the pet you grabbed and the pet someone else grabbed. Pets finally got unique ID numbers in July 2008 (actually, starting in June 2008 as you can see from the post above!), but the pets that Tess drew in April, May, and June 2008 were no longer available. Besides, Tess only drew the adult stages and some of the puppy stages and some of the newborn rat stages. She hadn't drawn all of the growing stages for all of the "pre-July" pets.

Tess finally released those pets, complete with all missing stages, onto CS during Advent 2008. You know that huge dog litter and that huge rat litter from Advent 2008, and how they don't seem to have anything to do with the holidays aside from the dogs' blankets? Those were originally from April, May, and June 2008!

I tell you this because one of the rats that Tess released in July 2008 looked extremely similar to a rat that she released as an image in April 2008, to the point where you would need a super sharp eye, a really good monitor, and/or an eyedropper tool to tell the difference. So she just took the July 2008 rat and released it with the rest of the "pre-July" rats in Advent 2008.

Value-wise, you should treat this rat like the rest of the "pre-July" Advent 2008 rats. I highly doubt that this poor guy was adopted a lot in July 2008 lol so his July 2008 adoptions should not affect his value a lot. And it seems like he's worth about the same as his littermates.

System-wise, yes, a July 2008 version of this rat is the exact same as an Advent 2008 version of this rat, just like how rereleased pets are the exact same as their true-date counterparts. You will get that green checkmark in the archives (under both July 2008 and Advent 2008!) no matter if this guy has a July 2008 or a December 2008 date in your collection.

(And yes, the parents of the two August 2008 second-generation litters are included in the "pre-July" batch. xD)

Sources: link 1 (about the rat), link 2 (about the rat), link 3 (about CS's "pre-July" history; scroll down to find Tess's quote)
I also used Solloby's wonderful Starlit Insanity site, which served as an archive of CS pets from April 2008 up until we got our current on-site archives. Even after we got our on-site archives, Starlit Insanity remained up, and curious users could look to see exactly which of the "pre-July" pets were drawn before July 2008 and when they were released. Unfortunately, the site is currently inaccessible.

Last edited by nickjr on Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 8 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Thanks! :D and miscellaneous

I can't remember everything by myself, and as old as my account is, it isn't one of the oldest xD Thank you to the following people:

• Minimanta
  • Shian
  • Soratha
  • Centri
  • Kat
  • 'Possum
  • miitake
  • DuckGoesRawr
  • Chicken of Smoothie
  • Ziraous
  • NixMarrow
  • CaptainSpank
  • SteampunkAngel
  • ZΕL
  • LufikER
  • Bilaz

and anyone else I might've missed. (It wasn't intentional if that's the case, I swear D:)
Please let me know if you'd like me to update your username!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old blurb:

I often saw people asking questions like "My pet was adopted in July 2009, but I can't find it in there!" "Why is my March 2010 pet under January 2009? It's a glitch, right?" "Did rereleases happen during May 2010? Why did they happen during May 2010?", so I figured that putting up a guide to all of those pets could help stem the flow of those questions; people usually answered those questions with just a simple "Your pet was available for a long time", but nothing about other long-release pets would be addressed, so the questions would pop up again.

In addition, as one of CS's relatively active veteran users with a decent memory, I got... more than a little irked when people gave out false information that these pets were actually "rereleased" in the middle of the year. xD It got baffling when I saw a few of my fellow active veterans giving this incorrect information as well, so I figured that maybe we just needed all of these pets dumped into one topic.

I sent in a help ticket asking if it would be okay to make a guide like this; this was the reply:
CS Help wrote:I think this would be fine. Thanks for asking!

This reply was sent by Hekomi, a member of our Admin Assistants group.

Last edited by nickjr on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:05 am, edited 10 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Guide: Pets with contradicting release and adoption date

Postby Minimanta » Sun May 26, 2013 7:03 am

Useful guide, I like it! =D

Here's a few more that I remember:

ImageImage
April fools cats from 2009 were released March 31.

This 2nd gen litter from August 2009 was released July 31.

And I'm pretty sure this litter of ponies from May 2009 was available for both May and June.
If you can dream it, you can do it ~~ Walter Elias Disney
ImageImageImage
For every one minute you don't smile, you lose 60 seconds of happiness
Minimanta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sun May 26, 2013 7:06 am

All right. I'll add those :3

I did include the Warrior Cats, but there were so many that I just didn't bother adding pictures xD Should I?
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Minimanta » Sun May 26, 2013 7:07 am

No it's okay about the warrior cats, I must have missed them somehow X3
If you can dream it, you can do it ~~ Walter Elias Disney