-Firestar-'s Collection

Make a topic here to show us a collection of your favorite pets from CS or other websites

-Firestar-'s Collection

Postby Shian » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:31 am

Introduction, Notes and Musings

Hello! I've been a player since October 2008. :)
I used to be -Firestar- No, my name is not based on the Warriors Series, but my smuggler character in the Star Wars MMO.

I changed my name back to Shian so that it would show up on searches since special characters don't work. I was Shian in 2008, but I had to wait two years for a COPPA to get my PM so I could get my old name back :)

I completed my collection in 2010 and wrote a guide on how I did it. Trying to display my entire collection got too difficult to keep up, so I will just display the highlights or most interesting pets.

Archer
Meet Archer, the reason I joined CS. While he was not my first pet, he will always feel like my first pet to me. This design was what attracted me to come sign up and adopt pets.

Archer got some fanart today! -By TavrosNitram 11/25/2012

I got a little Archer smoothie by KayAuss 2/22/2013

Archer by Lilwolfpard 5/6/2013

Archer by M1nty
Last edited by Shian on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 63 times in total.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: -Firestar-'s Collection

Postby Shian » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:32 am

Hoards
In reverse order: new hoards are at the top :) If you're reading the stories, it's probably best to scroll all the way down and read up. Some hoards are deliberate, some I just couldn't bear to trade away once I had them because of a superawesomedesign.

Added Feb 17th 2017
Jokers
Current count: Joker Dogs, Rabbits, Others.
My Roommate/Boyfriend played CS for many years and collected these dogs. He quit playing in Feb so I got all of his hoards.
ImageImageImageImage

Added Feb 17th 2017
Hanukkah
Current count: Click
My Roommate/Boyfriend played CS for many years and collected these dogs. He quit playing in Feb so I got all of his hoards. These aren't on my wishlist so I collect these casually. All Hanukkah pets.

Added Dec 20th 2014
Cervidae (Reps of the 9 tiny reindeer)
I've been collecting these on and off for a few years. Any pet that has all 9 represented is collected. Sadly, I gave away a lot of the 2009 horses before I decided to add them to the hoard too...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Added March 14th 2014
Spicy Chili
My boyfriend's chili is one of my favorite things to eat. <3 My mother gets heartburn with ketchup, so I grew up never having any spicy foods ever. With a little bit of acclimation, spicy chili and tacos are now some of my favorite foods.
I don't eat beans though, and it's impossible to find chili in restaurants that don't have beans. Boyfriend makes me meat chili with the reasoning, "beans are a poor man's filler."

Added May 14th 2013
Raised Roses
I trained Guide Dogs for the blind since I was 10. Of course I couldn't get my own dog until I was 12, but every year after that up until I went into the military, I've had a dog each and every year.
Many of them ended up being breeders which are the best of the best, so the "top 10% of only a 15% graduation rate". This is not a numbers hoard, but a record of every dog I've had.

Added Oct 21 2011
Cervidae
So pretty. I guess the guys remind me of The Endless Forest? I'm not sure why, but I see these dogs as a very nicely patterned deer. This is a pet and item hoard.

Added July 22 2011
Smoking Awareness Hoard
Our apartment building caught fire this date. Turns out it was started by a house guest on the floor above us smoking a cigarette inside. As the apartment was built in the 1920's, straw was often used as insulation and went up like a tinderbox. We got out in good time but I lost many one of a kind things and precious memories.
Despite it's name, this is not so much an 'awareness' hoard, (what does hoarding have to do with others awareness anyways?!) but a reminder to myself to be mindful of the things lost due to the mistakes of others and the damage smoking can cause to others.

Fear the Apocalypse
I collected skeleton pets. Collecting pets based off the horsemen of the apocalypse was the next step. I added the two other oddballs because they look like they fit.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

OMG Quaggas! <3
I've been wanting a quagga since the zebras came out. They came out on my birth month no less. I doubt it was intentional, but I get to pretend it was ;) Thank you so much Tyr!
A little more back story: As a kid, I absorbed everything like a sponge. I got so bored with the puzzles I had that I did them upside down just to make them more interesting. Mom happened to get a national geographic fact file sample pack in the mail. Despite my insistence on wanting the whole set, I was left with the sampler pack of 20 cards. Sine I only had 20, I read them over and over until I could recite the entire card from memory. It included some mammals and many extinct animals. The quagga was my favorite.

Yet another dragon hoard
Current count: Click 1, Click 2,
Like everyone else, I scrambled for these when they first came out. Such a wonderful lineart.

Line of the Zodiac
The eyes! They glow! What a wonderful litter!
ImageImageImage

Firestar Dogs <3
Tess did an amazing job with this dog. I'm not creative enough to come up with my own fursona, but if I had one, this dog's pattern would be it :) I rabidly collect these guys.

Of The Dead
Current count: Bats, Butterfly Wolves, Butterfly Wolves V. 2, Cats, Contacts (Item), Dogs, Dog Costume (Item), Fish, Horses and Ponies, Owls, PPS Dogs, Rabbits, Rats.
I started hoarding the rats, PPS puppies and the rabbits when I saw they all had the same design. At first it was just for a lack of nothing to do with my rare trade fodder, but they did grow on me. Being able to collect subsequent pets from this past Halloween to go with them was a treat. Now they're in all different folders because this hoard has gotten so big!
ImageImageImageImage

Fire Owls!
My online handle for years had the word 'Phoenix' in it. I like collecting fire and flame based animals as a tribute to my old handle, but I am picky and they have to look right. Malk did this owl justice.

Fire and Brimstone ^^
Continuing with the fire theme, I collected animals that had a fire them with a bit of darkness in them. At first it was just the birthday dog, but as pets were released, I added more.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Pocky
Current count: 60
Seemed fitting to hoard the first item on the site. Plus it looks cool as a wall :)

Archer's Family
Archer has quite a large family. With seven brothers and sisters and they all have children and grandchildren of their own, I collect any of these pets
ImageImageImageImageImage

Fish Pond
Current count: Click 1, Current count: Click 2
My first true hoard. The old lineart looked like the top of a koi in a pond. I lived in Japan for most of the time and I adored this fish that reminded me of home. Many people didn't like these fish pets, so I took them in and traded happily for them.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Shian on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 88 times in total.
ImageImage
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Dressed Up Pets

I wanted armor for my pets so needless to say, I was very very ecstatic when we got some! Here are some of my favorite armored pets:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage]Image

ImageImageImage
These three are all based on the original Lone Wolf series :)

Others:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Shian on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
ImageImage
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Special ID number Pets

Meet Monochrome, Pet number 999999. CS's millionth pet is accountless. ;)

ImageImage
My Sequence and Sparkly ID number- the only two UR pets in existence (that I know of) that are sequential. If you are familiar with UR pets, you have a chance to get one only on Dec 18th... along with every other pet in existence so having two right next to each other is pretty darn rare.

This is the first banana in existence :)

ImageImage
Pets 27 and 28 million respectively.

Kai. One of the oldest pets on the site with an ID number of 87

The Little Mathematician ID#1112233

No name, just 15555555 XD

Pet number 88,000,000 o.O

Spottedleaf here has an ID of 76 million something, but has a birthdate of 2008-08-02 which makes her sit in very odd places in the lineup XD
Last edited by Shian on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImage
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Really Awesome People

(So I never forget)

Tiffany
Too many to list.
Tiffany you have giving me many missed outcomes, rare pets and even helped me get the last true date I needed. Thank you so much. I don't have many people on here I would consider a friend, but you my dear are one. :)

Chry
Gave this to me for my birthday 2011:
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/trades/v ... 5vVB7vQElQ

Taj
We haven't spoken often and out of the blue, they give me their white July, a pet they had dedicated once to their grandfather. To give such a pet that has or had such personal value is very humbling, never mind the intense rarity of the pet.

ShadowRaichu454
I don't remember quite when this user PMed me or why, but we just started talking about our days on somewhat of a daily basis and even exchanged advice every once in a while. It's been nice to just talk with someone without worry that they're trying to butter me up for free pets. I've probably been a bad friend because it's mostly them who has to initiate the conversation and our lives have just gotten so busy that we don't keep in touch often any more. Thanks for being a good friend even if I don't deserve it.

Sunny Cupcake
She keeps sending me pets for no explainable reason. XD
There are many kind COPPA users but Sunny Cupcake sure takes the cake. She's sent me 51 pets- most to boost hoards along with a few rares and older or hard to find pets. Where or how she gets them I have no idea.
I miss you Sunny. You were well loved and admired here.

Vapor
Here's another awesome and generous COPPA user! Vapor has sent me countless missed outcomes and items :) I tried gifting them once and they just turned it around as another gift to me. I don't know where they keep getting pets or where on earth they got Malk Faries, but I'm glad they are a part of CS. I wish they took gifts though.

Why It Makes No Sense To Be An Anti-Hoarder

I see this all the time. People who decide that because I have whatever pet someone wants, I should just trade it to them because "I have an extra" yet they also have hundreds of extras and they aren't giving them out freely. What makes hoarding any different than trading other than somehow expecting players that have thousands of pets (over years mind you) to only have the same number of pets a person just starting has? Hmm... sorry, that's not how any world works- virtual or otherwise.

I often see: "I don't care about common hoards, I only care about the rare ones!"
Why does rarity make such a difference to anti-hoarders? A hoard is a hoard. I think the factor here is more if "I want it" than what the rarity tag is. Do anti-hoarders care about a hoard of rainbow drafts? Does a nick pet hoard bother anti-hoarders the same way as a wishlist pet does? I'm guessing not.
It's hypocritical in this fashion to care more about a hoard of sundogs than it does to care about a hoard of nick pets if rarity is the only factor.
If uncommon and commons are okay, what about those that put together a loving hoard but because of time they became rare and very rare? Are they now required to give them away JUST because of their rarity tag? I think not.

The other argument I've seen is "Give 20 of this pet away and there's 20 happier people. Haven't you ever given anything VR away before?"
So.... we're measuring happiness now? That's pretty petty.
There's also a chance that after giving 20 away, those people just up and quit taking them out of the economy forever.
We're talking about measuring a person's happiness? How do you do that anyways? So *I* have to be unhappy giving away years of effort and time so that a number of others can be happy?
Yeah, I did that already. I've had several giveaways to celebrate milestones in my collection and the ones who got the rarest pets haven't logged in in a year. I'm talking about several free list pets, older 09s and rare store pets here and now they are out of the system. So trying to make others happy doesn't always work.
As for the question, yes. The first time I got all pets, I celebrated by giving away nearly everything in my trade section. 4 July 08s, 3 Augusts don't remember how many Sept 08s etc.
I held another a year later when I got frustrated and bored, again just giving out rare and old pets. I was even in people's sigs for a while "Thank you for my dreampet" etc. but that fades as the next challenge of finding a new dreampet ensues.
Can I afford to hold a give away all the time and give all my VRs away? No, I'd have nothing left very quickly.

"There is only a certain amount of each pet around on CS. Hoarders are taking them all!"
Believe me, I've tried ;) For a brief period of time, I tried to hoard every single one of the "firestar dogs" so I could pretend it was a custom. Did it work? Nope. Hundreds of users still have this pet. Not only that but the pound gives out all kinds of pets. PLUS if there's any 'shortage' of pets, Dec 18th re-release gives out the pets needed to keep CS's economy stable, so there is no way for any one player to tale all the pets.
I don't see any difference between someone having a complete set of July dogs and someone having 17 moonswirls. Either way, it is technically standing in the way of other people's collections when you collect. Doesn't matter if it's hoarding or collecting, you're still making pets untradeable by keeping them. People can do whatever they want with the pets they have. If they want to trade fairly for 5 sun dogs instead of for 5 different Julys, it's their right.
I have over 2,000 pets in one of my hoards and I still have no problem finding more of any of my hoards. Hoarding has little effect on the economy or the availability of pets. CS is way too big for it to be so. If you look, you will find.
Even if someone tried hoarding every single of a certain pet there is always another out there. Such a thing is quite impossible.

"Well just don't hoard! It makes the game harder!"
Using that kind of logic people should stop trading. I mean if you have more than one of the same pet you're stealing from the economy!
But wait.... what if I get more than one of the same outcome in the litter? Am I required to get rid of it because I have two?
Of course not.
What if I like only one outcome and trade the other 5 in the litter for that same one so that all 6 pets are the same? It's the same as getting all the same outcome in the litter. That's the beauty of trading. Also, the beauty of hoarding. You alone dictate what your collection has in it.

Why hoard at all?
-It's easier than getting a full collection honestly. Far less stressful to set smaller goals either before or after tackling such a daunting task. Plus it makes pound openings great fun. I'm just as excited to get a common hoard pet as I am to get a rare pet I'm missing.
-It gives us older players that have the full collection a reason to keep playing.
-The added new dimension of playing the game can be fun too. Check out the hoard records and see if you can beat one.

As a final note though, I do off site trading. I play 12 other games so I can maximize my trading. This means that I usually buy off site currency and trade it for those VR pets so the pets I have are usually 12x games worth and/or bought with currency.

And don't worry, jealousy is just a natural part of the process. I get jealous too when I see a hoard of hundreds of pets I have a missed outcome on ;)
Last edited by Shian on Tue May 01, 2018 1:12 am, edited 15 times in total.
ImageImage
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:33 am

CV

Guide the Getting the Dog of Your Dreams Jan 2009

Split of the trade sections Jan 2009

See where pet came from August 2010

Improved trades November 2010

Maintained the FAQ in the Suggestions and Help Forum Dec 2010-Aug 2016

Public Blacklisting July 2011

Maintained the CS Hoard World Records from June 2010 to Oct 2016, Oct 2017-present

Editor of the CS Wiki September 2011-Present

High Priority reporting button August 2011

Mass renaming Nov 2011

Creating a December 24th 2011

Wrote the Guide to Successful Trading Feb 2014-Present

Rule Index 2012 ish

Off site guides:
Counting ALL of the CS pets and creating Checklists.

Last act, marking store pets as store pets by posting examples until someone listened.
Dec 2018

Nick fixing stupid things for me...
I broke the map

Endlessly fixing foe pm Problem x

Apparently inspired a pet design. Yay.
Last edited by Shian on Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 24 times in total.
ImageImage
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:22 am

Thanks for visiting!
Last edited by Shian on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:46 am

LOLO thread
Last edited by Shian on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 31 times in total.
ImageImage
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dalek » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:04 pm

That 'alt. account' is an interesting experiment! However, I don't think that it's completely equivalent to how a newbie would trade- you're more well-known as a good trader, and more people would be willing to work out trades with people who know their rarities. Although, it is a great experiment, and I can't wait to see the results!
Dalek

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:26 am

Goldshimmer wrote:That 'alt. account' is an interesting experiment! However, I don't think that it's completely equivalent to how a newbie would trade- you're more well-known as a good trader, and more people would be willing to work out trades with people who know their rarities. Although, it is a great experiment, and I can't wait to see the results!

That's right it would be!
I'm actually finding there's a lot of discrimination on these forums with regard to join date. People are expecting me to trade fairly so it makes it a real challenge to get ahead no matter how slightly. Even in the free adoption board where I traditionally go to get more trade fodder. Some have rules with regard to join date or how many pets you own. Since I am not a true newbie, I don't get to participate in those giveaways. For each advantage I have, there seems to also be a disadvantage, so I think it does roughly balance out in the end.
I'm learning a lot in this experiment simply by starting over and am adding some of my findings to my 'How to get a dreamie' guide. :)

I think the biggest obstacle in this experiment so far is to resist the temptation to cheat. ;)
I have a goal pet just sitting in my accounts trades (or even more fun when I have 5 of them)! What harm would it do to just trade it to myself as a gift? XD
Or someone offers me a deal but wants a pet out of my account's trade fodder.
It's hard telling people 'no, that would ruin the experiment' as I think some people don't really understand what I'm trying to do.
ImageImage
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me