Oekaki Competitions - Rules Check

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Oekaki Competitions - Rules Check

Postby River Song » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:59 am

I want to do a character design competition where each entering user is given a small prize of one pet. I would have an entry prize pool (of similar date and rarity), where at the end each user who entered gets a randomly grabbed pet from the group, as I don't want anyone to go unrewarded for their entry (there would also be a first, second and third place prize, that is better then the available small prizes, but that's just so I can reward my favourites/have this be an actual competition which is not entirely relevant here)

The rule I am uncertain about is this:

4. You can't list any prizes that aren't definitely going to be given out. This means you can no longer list conditional prizes (e.g. grand prizes) which you'll only give out if you get a particularly good entry. Every prize listed must be awarded at the end of the contest if the entry conditions are met.

If I have a group of 50 pets as the prize pool, and only 5 users enter, then only 5 pets and the prizes for the winners would be given out. However, I'm not sure if this makes the remaining 45 pets that would have been listed (as to not break rule 6) count as conditional prizes, and if a contest in this style is actually possible because of this.

I can see it both ways, as it could be because the pets are listed as potential prizes, so therefore must be given out as per the rules, however it could also be that because the small prize is simply 'one pet per entered user' not 'all these pets to the entered users' that they are not actually conditional and therefore the contest would be rule abiding.

Is there already an official verdict on this, or could a staff member chime in if there is not?
If anything seems unclear, feel free to ask for clarification.

xxxxxxxx
Ghoul or Rivxxxxxxxx
It/Its onlyxxxxxxxx

well I was out for a walk
somewhere that I can't be found
like a forest,
but one that's only in my mind
built of memories
only you and I have shared
I'm back in my spot
the one where I can't be found
wrapped in stories,
the ones where we were good
and our dreams were more than
ways to pass the time
River Song

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Oekaki Competitions - Rules Check

Postby Henry » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 am

i believe that doesnt apply to entry/participation prizes. my understanding is that rule is only in place to disallow 'grand prizes' being withheld cuz you didn't particularly like any of the entries enough as it specifies:

which you'll only give out if you get a particularly good entry

as you can just lie and say you didnt like any entry enough in hopes of baiting people into putting a lot of effort towards a prize they never had a chance of receiving.

just so long as you hold up your end of the bargain and give out a prize to everyone who enters (regardless of the quality of the entry), i believe it should be fine but it never hurts to get a staff member's seal of approval.
Henry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Oekaki Competitions - Rules Check

Postby River Song » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:29 pm

Exile wrote:
i believe that doesnt apply to entry/participation prizes. my understanding is that rule is only in place to disallow 'grand prizes' being withheld cuz you didn't particularly like any of the entries enough as it specifies:

which you'll only give out if you get a particularly good entry

as you can just lie and say you didnt like any entry enough in hopes of baiting people into putting a lot of effort towards a prize they never had a chance of receiving.

just so long as you hold up your end of the bargain and give out a prize to everyone who enters (regardless of the quality of the entry), i believe it should be fine but it never hurts to get a staff member's seal of approval.

I thought that was likely the case, but just wanted to be certain! I can't always read things correctly, so better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the input.

xxxxxxxx
Ghoul or Rivxxxxxxxx
It/Its onlyxxxxxxxx

well I was out for a walk
somewhere that I can't be found
like a forest,
but one that's only in my mind
built of memories
only you and I have shared
I'm back in my spot
the one where I can't be found
wrapped in stories,