oekaki thumbnails discussion {READ FIRST POST}

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: oekaki thumbnails discussion {READ FIRST POST}

Postby Silver Pandorica » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:39 am

Thanks so much Simon! And to all the other mods as well, your efforts are much appreciated.

@Dia That definitely makes sense. So would that mean that as long as a cover is enough to count as an art piece of the character made off-oekaki (like if the character were to be uploaded to TH or something the cover could be uploaded as an image in the gallery), then it would be okay?
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: What's up with oekaki thumbnails?? {discussion}

Postby Rooster Cult » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:55 am

Simon wrote:
    -snip-

The purpose of this rule first and foremost is to cut back on the Oekaki board being cluttered with walls of spam drawings that are just text or 1-second sketches. If a "cover " can also function as a stand-alone drawing that clearly took effort and time to draw, then that should always be fine.

Edit: To clarify further, if it's clear that a user just made a quick sketch for the sole purpose of being able to post art from a different program, that is still subject to being locked. Drawings like the one above that that clearly took a lot of time and effort and can be considered a separate art piece should not be locked.

I solely agree with this sentiment. Some of the examples posted were quick doodles or sketches that I may have even agreed with being locked. But if enough effort was put into the cover image that it could be it's own stand alone piece, then I really don't think that should be a problem, whether or not the focal point was the oekaki. The point still stands that the person used the program to make a work of art.

A lot of oekakis are covers for different art forms, I used to use oekaki as a cover for a poem I would write. The focal point was the poem. I don't personally think that the "focal point" perspective holds much water; as anything else that is a focal point that isn't off-oekaki is fine (unless I am mistaken and that is against the rules as well). A very recent example would be this, I meant for the focus to go to my description as a small tutorial for character design brainstorming. The sketches were pretty bad and not really what I meant for people to be looking at.
Music, adopts, poems, stories, animations done in a different software, tutorials, progress images, are all other focal points I have seen in oekaki, the main image is just the preview for that. When I go to adopt a Kalon, I glance at the adopt and the spend most of my time reading up on the adoptions and other forms.
----
Rooster or Ruce // Autistic // any pronouns
Rooster Cult

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:26 am

Okay, here's the clarification you've been waiting on. This has been discussed with oekaki mods, admin assistants, and Simon.

Simon wrote:
    -snip-

The purpose of this rule first and foremost is to cut back on the Oekaki board being cluttered with walls of spam drawings that are just text or 1-second sketches. If a "cover " can also function as a stand-alone drawing that clearly took effort and time to draw, then that should always be fine.

Edit: To clarify further, if it's clear that a user just made a quick sketch for the sole purpose of being able to post art from a different program, that is still subject to being locked. Drawings like the one above that that clearly took a lot of time and effort and can be considered a separate art piece should not be locked.

This is how Oekaki moderators are going to be judging whether something should be locked.

Is the art.....

1. completed or does it have a finished look (we will look for things like neat lines, colored, shaded, a definitive sketchy style, etc)
2. relevant or related to the character in some way, so we know it's not there to get around the rule (example: a finished headshot of the character)
AND 3. Does it show time/effort, again, so we know it's not there to get around the rule (to clarify, an uncolored sketch does not fulfill this)

What is probably NOT okay:
- just text or mostly text with a tiny drawing or random drawings (example: smilies, very fast doodles, flowers, etc)
- random sketch/lineart
- sketch that may be relevant, but is still clearly done to get around the rule (see guideline 3)

What IS probably okay:
- a completed piece of art that is directly relevant to the character because it features the character or
- a completed piece of art that is directly relevant to the character because it is related in some way (example: the character is a fairy, so you draw a detailed depiction of a magic forest that takes sufficient time and effort)

Here are examples of drawings that we have unlocked, because it is a completed piece, features the character, and shows time and effort: x, x, x

It might help you to consider what the purpose of the cover is, other than being a cover. You might think of either the cover, or the art made elsewhere, as ADDITIONAL artwork.

Please let us know if there is anything that needs to be clarified further.
hiya i'm dia
she/her
INTJ

bookworm
scientist
plant lover
dog mom-->

CS Fanart Archive

Characters

art fight; *team*
CS Help | Site Rules
[avatar] | [signature]
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby -chirp- » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 am

this acually vlears up quite a bit. it also makes more sense then the previous rule description because now it is more clear and understandable. i also belive that it will clear up those spam covers (i myself have a few if you want to lock them, they are the first 4 things in my gallery) for c4c and adoptables. i do have one question, if adoptables are posted offlines, how would you be able to create a cover that could still follow these guide lines? for people like me who can't create deatialed backgrounds, would a good way to do this by just creating one headshot for one of the adoptable characters?
also, quick apologiesfor bad spelling, i am on mobile and have autocorrect off
-chirp-

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Simon » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:49 am

-chirp- wrote:
this acually vlears up quite a bit. it also makes more sense then the previous rule description because now it is more clear and understandable. i also belive that it will clear up those spam covers (i myself have a few if you want to lock them, they are the first 4 things in my gallery) for c4c and adoptables. i do have one question, if adoptables are posted offlines, how would you be able to create a cover that could still follow these guide lines? for people like me who can't create deatialed backgrounds, would a good way to do this by just creating one headshot for one of the adoptable characters?
also, quick apologiesfor bad spelling, i am on mobile and have autocorrect off

Yup! A headshot that's more than just a quick 5 min lined sketch would be acceptable ^^
Simon
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shortstop » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:53 am

Thank you mods for really working with us on this, it's very much appreciated <3
we do the best we can with what we have
┏━━━━━━━━━━━┓
toyhouse
flight rising
arpg storage
discord: shortstop.

┗━━━━━━━━━━━┛
previously shadow9119 (2011-2021)
shortstop

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rinovo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:55 am

Dia. wrote:Okay, here's the clarification you've been waiting on. This has been discussed with oekaki mods, admin assistants, and Simon.

Simon wrote:
    -snip-

This is how Oekaki moderators are going to be judging whether something should be locked.

Is the art.....

1. completed or does it have a finished look (we will look for things like neat lines, colored, shaded, a definitive sketchy style, etc)
2. relevant or related to the character in some way, so we know it's not there to get around the rule (example: a finished headshot of the character)
AND 3. Does it show time/effort, again, so we know it's not there to get around the rule (to clarify, an uncolored sketch does not fulfill this)

What is probably NOT okay:
- just text or mostly text with a tiny drawing or random drawings (example: smilies, very fast doodles, flowers, etc)
- random sketch/lineart
- sketch that may be relevant, but is still clearly done to get around the rule (see guideline 3)

What IS probably okay:
- a completed piece of art that is directly relevant to the character because it features the character or
- a completed piece of art that is directly relevant to the character because it is related in some way (example: the character is a fairy, so you draw a detailed depiction of a magic forest that takes sufficient time and effort)

Here are examples of drawings that we have unlocked, because it is a completed piece, features the character, and shows time and effort: x, x, x

It might help you to consider what the purpose of the cover is, other than being a cover. You might think of either the cover, or the art made elsewhere, as ADDITIONAL artwork.

Please let us know if there is anything that needs to be clarified further.

Omg I love yall so much, ty for doing this! i'll be putting this on the first post
╔═════════════╗

He/They/She.
Sapphic.
Emma kin.
Tired 24/7.
Gift.

struggling with gender identity
rn ;,)

╚═════════════╝

Rinovo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:58 am

This is awesome, thank y'all so much for the clarification! It really clears a lot of things up.
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 am

I would like to give the staff & mods a MASSIVE thank you for listening to the community and clearing this up. This helps a whole lot and is far easier to understand, thank you so much for taking our input and figuring out a solid solution. <3 It's far better than having this whole odd grey area where both mods and users are confused.
    Once again, thank you sm!!!!

Postby ford » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:01 am

thank you so much for working with us. i'm sure this will help a lot and it's a good step in the right direction. definitely a lot more clear now! <3

also related, i've gathered all of the ideas i had for the off-oekaki forum and moved them here in one spot, so it's easier to read. could you maybe add this link to the main page to replace the original one i had, if that's okay?

--

Rinovo wrote:done! All of your ideas are wonderful, and i'm also interested by the one you have about a new type of oekaki mod! do you have any other thoughts regarding this?

i've added my response to my post on the other thread!
Last edited by ford on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ford ☆ he/they
thkalspfp
ford

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me