Feedback Needed: Change to Oekaki Organisation

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Please tell us what you'd like for the oekaki organisation!

I like the way those boards are organised already and I don't want them to change.
11%
I don't like the way those boards are organised. I'd like a new category system!
24%
I like the suggestion to sort the art by the subject e.g. human, animal, landscapes...
56%
I would prefer the art to be sorted by some other method (please detail in comments)
5%
I have other suggestions for new oekaki boards (please detail in comments)
4%

Total votes : 557

Re: Feedback Needed: Change to Oekaki Organisation

Postby Loxosceles » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:40 am

Not sure how much this has been said already but, as much as I would LOVE the boards to be separated by subject matter, that's far too many categories. Why are animals and made up species two different boards? This is a really good and solid idea, but it needs to be cut down into fewer categories.
Glad you're getting rid of the skill level boards though!

Edit: I also think that fanart/fandom shouldn't be it's own board. Those works could easily fit into the other boards and it would just serve to be another section where one isn't needed.
ImageImageImage
Loxosceles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby angel23456 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:34 am

I personally like the Oekaki boards being organized by skill level, but I wouldn't mind the switch, though I think I would prefer if tags were added to the drawings, so maybe you could click on a tag and see all related artwork. I personally like being able to go to my own gallery and view all of my Advanced artwork instead of loping them all together, the good and the bad of my work.

The Oekaki boards already give a description of what belongs in them. For example, all art in Adavanced needs to be "the most advanced art with accurate anatomy, creative coloring, details like shading and backgrounds" so I think it is fair to move the art around to fit the criteria for the boards. (Some of mine have been moved as well)

I do like the suggested groups, though for the most part, if the change is made. I think combining all animals, for example, real or fantastical, would be much too large of a group if we're going to start grouping this way, and combing humans and animals would be even more so. I do think there should still be a category for sketches and experiments, though, and I think "Other" should encompass reference sheets and combo drawings.

(this all coming from an artist who fairly regularly posts in Advanced and mainly draws realistic animals, for reference)

Hardly related, but can it be made to where we can delete our own artwork if someone has commented on it? I have so many I want to remove but am unable to because people have already commented on them years ago.
lights off

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
adult ♡ married ♡ mom of 2 ♡ 2 dogs 1 cat ♡ birthday july 11th ♡ adopt OR shop, just do both responsibly!
angel23456

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pear » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:26 pm

I kinda wish there was a way to separate all of the oekaki adoptable species threads from the available to adopt artworks.
It's kinda a pain to try and find new adoptable species when there's so many colored-in adoptables clogging up that board x3
Pear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby honeycombb » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:27 pm

i dont have anything in particular to mention, but something like how deviantart set things up is really nice and organized!
ʜᴏɴᴇʏ/ʙᴇᴇ
ɪᴛ/ᴛʜᴇʏ

●・○・●・○・●
●・○・●・○・●

𝐦𝐨𝐝/𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐛𝐨𝐨 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐬
𝐚𝐝𝐦𝐢𝐧 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐟𝐟𝐟
𝐦𝐨𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐱𝐞𝐬
𝐦𝐨𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐞𝐠𝐠𝐢𝐭𝐬
𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐲𝐳
ᴅɪꜱᴄᴏʀᴅ: love.aphrodite

●・○・●・○・●
honeycombb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liiontai » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:57 pm

As someone who's been using the Oekaki for ages, I do like this idea! Though I have two suggestions:

Fantasy/Animal Art:
I feel like these will often be confused or mixed. Especially since a lot of artists will draw characters that are a mix of species (eg a dog with horns/extended tail/etc). I think a "Feral Art" for creatures that are mixes or real-animal adjacent, "Fantasy" for strictly fantasy creatures such as dragons, gryphons and such, and an "Anthro" for furry art.

Sketches and Experiments:
I think it would be a good idea to divide the new categories into finished pieces and sketches/experiments. So people can choose to view between quick doodles or more polished art.

Looking forward to whatever is decided on!
ImageImageImage
emily • she/her • lesbian
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
CS HelpArt Shop
My THThistlehooves
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
commissions: OPEN
art trades: closed

hi! :3c call me liion/emily
pm me if you need help !!
used to be liontamer321
liiontai#0492

i'm really into vtubers and
vocaloid at the moment!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Trade Thread • rat collector
aest timezone
ImageImageImage
liiontai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skylasha » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:03 am

I really like the ideas! I think this is a much more effective organization plan and it'll be nice to remove the feeling of judgement for sure!

I hope you are safe and well, Tess!

Skylasha|He/They/She Image
Hi, I'm Skylasha!
I love Marvel and Among Us a lot! I’m also a furry. Mental + chronic illness warrior.
Trying my best one day at a time.
I'm an artist! I take commissions and art trades
Avatar by SleepySwirly Sig art by Shadowphoenixfox
Youtube
Art Shop
DeviantArt
ImageImage

skylasha

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MeltiTheDragon » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Please, please, this would be an amazing change. I've actually told people before that they're far too good for beginners! :3 It also does help with the feelings of judgement that comes with 'skill' levels, even if said judgement has never been intentional.
Melti The Dragon
✚✚✚Autistic
✚✚✚Furry
✚✚✚Artist, Musician, Improv Comedian

If I've forgotten something, feel free to give me a little nudge!

I'm a Moderator for PS Adoptables! <3 Check them out! >>
Also, if you do decided to check it out, please consider noting I referred you!

Other Sites I'm On
{ Deviantart } ✚ { Furaffinity } ✚ { Toyhou.se }
{ Art Fight } ✚ { Refsheet } ✚ { Aywas }
Tracker Pages
{ Cascadeclan } ✚ { Sosna Gora } ✚ { Kingdom of Thorns }
{ Lucentclan } ✚ { Hlien Fuléao-anisth } ✚ { Sunset Bridge Business }

✚✚✚Formerly Known as Diamondshine101
    [C] - GreenGummies (sig art), sweathie (avatar)
MeltiTheDragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Michael's Fan. » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:08 am

I love this idea. When I wasn't as good as I am at drawing and my posts would get moved from intermediate to beginners by mods it was really hurtful, because I felt I had reached that level of skill and the mods may think my art hadn't (which I indeed did.)

They move it based on opinion and I don't like that. It really degrades us as artists and makes us feel our art isn't worth it.

Also It'd be nice to have some bigger canvases or choose our own pixel resolution!
Last edited by Michael's Fan. on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael's Fan.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby JK341 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:24 pm

I think it would be a refreshing change for things to be resorted, but I also will reflect what others said about there possibly being too much to sort through with things presented as is on the first page. But i will agree that the skill level categories could definitely stand to go.

Also i have noticed that certain artists only post in certain boards currently. (some only post in sketches, some only post in colored ins / adoptables, etc). I feel that even more categories would, as mentioned earlier, make some artists even less visible as i'm sure that there will be some artists that only stay within a specific category and only post there.

Each board also seems to have its own little mini community of sorts. Just about everyone from a specific board all being acquainted, and often are even friends with each other, and they hardly ever venture out of these boards because thats where they all post at--"thats where their friends are", if you get my drift. ^^ Of course we have the "follow artist" feature now, which was really appreciated. I'm mostly just stating an observation, there, really.

I will also agree with qwertyo, further back with the thoughts of a board just for OC's etc. As im sure that many would feel that their unique characters / sonas wouldn't fit well within a specific category.

Basically everything else has already been said that i have thought of, though. ^^
I'm back, gonna give this site another try lol, please be patient with me while i get things re-organized <3

Other places you can find me:

JK341

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xx. » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:26 pm

most people so far have already brought up how to combine the heaps of categories so i have nothing to say on that, but i agree with one post i saw a couple pages back wholeheartedly;

- a board for "adopts drawn on a coloured-in base" (e.g. dog adopts in tealea or sixbane lines that were posted in editable oekaki)

- a board for actual closed species (e.g. kalons, chubin, boglins, all those horse arpgs, etc.)

it can be really frustrating to try and find some new species to get into and only finding the first 5 pages of adoptable oekaki is filled up with the same tealea adopts that ive seen bumped for a week in a row. i love adopting these designs too, but seperating them would be great, sort of like when you seperated "editable oekaki" and "user challenges"!

maybe "adoptable species" can remain for bases, and a new board called "closed species".
xx.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me