pet/item worth, lists etc.

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

pet/item worth, lists etc.

Postby ĸιттιe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:16 am

okay. so I've never understood how all the pet and item demand works; I don't understand what the "ex-list" or "list" pets are, and how their demand works etc. is there a thread(s) explaining this so I could learn?
ĸιттιe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: pet/item worth, lists etc.

Postby Shinryu » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 am

Heya;
    Demand itself is a pretty simple concept: The more popular and sought-after a pet or item is, the higher people tend to value it. That's because if a pet/item is well-liked, many people are willing to pay more to get it, and it's not unusual for people to overpay so they can ensure they get the particular pet/item.
    In some circumstances this can build up to a case where a pet/item so regularly goes for more than its worth based on rarity, people start seeing technically fair trades as unfair, simply because they know there will reliably be takers out there offering more.
    As this continues, the pet may eventually reach a commonly paid price way above what it started at.

The "list" or "rares list" guide was a user-made guide that tried to rank the most valuable pets on CS, so that people would have a reference for how to trade them for one another fairly. For many years this guide has been very influential to the point where it became nearly impossible to trade some of the pets on the list outside of their assigned list values any more.

The reason people now refer to those pet as "ex" list is because the rares list guide got retired earlier this year following long discussion about how useful and accurate it really was at representing pets' values.

Opinions were that many pets were drastically misplaced, and additionally there had been a long-standing problem with users ignoring that the list already included demand, instead applying a pet's demand on top of its list placement, driving the average prices for those pets higher.
    The list had been too slow with updates to stay caught up with the changes in the economy and the changing rarities of the pets, leaving many with the impression that it was long outdated and no longer a good reference for values.

However, with the list having been such a prominent presence in trading for nine years, there are still many people who trade their now-ex list pets by the same values because they disagree about the judgment that got the list retired. Since they don't agree that the list was too outdated to be used, they continue to use it as a reference.

That said, since the list will no longer get updated from now on, those people have partially moved on to trying to create new, improved guides in its spirit.

You can find the list thread itself here:
    Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3377402
    And some more of the discussion surrounding the retirement here:
    Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4037195

As a small tangent back towards demand: A good example for this phenomenon is the so-called "Black Advent" dog. If you look at the list thread above, you can see this dog is placed on the September List, whereas most of its littermates are placed on the Advent List, significantly lower.
    This is not because the BA is so much rarer than any of them - it's simply because it is so popular that it consistently went for severe overpay, until that overpay was pretty much just what people valued it at as a principle.
    Some pets' popularity comes and goes quickly, making them only worth a lot for a limited time, but some pets stay popular over many years, and establish themselves firmly at a higher price.

Hope that explains it a bit :)

[ formerly ZEL ] [ they/he ] [ Germany ]      And what of you, my mirror?      [PCE] [FR]
                           currently mostly inactive
Shinryu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ĸιттιe » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:42 pm

yes thanks, this helped
got anything for items though? were there any threads about item worth/got any tips? I understand that older items (like from '09) have a bit higher value, but that's all I really know lol
ĸιттιe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lucky333123 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:59 pm

ĸιттιe wrote:
yes thanks, this helped
got anything for items though? were there any threads about item worth/got any tips? I understand that older items (like from '09) have a bit higher value, but that's all I really know lol

Items are a bit more tricky because they aren't re-released and there aren't as many well known trades. Older items tend to be worth more. This guide is a bit outdated, but it gives the general concept on which items are worth more: Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=559754

Another helpful thread would be this one Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3719854 . It is used to get help on item worth.
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌
█░▌