Pyrenean Wolfhounds Genetics

If you need to make more than one topic for your adoptables, you can put the extra topics in here. Please read stickies for more information

Pyrenean Wolfhounds Genetics

Postby lovestruck » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:28 am

Dog Coat Colors and Patterns
http://homepage.usask.ca wrote:Bicolor a dog that has some shade of black or brown and also white but no tan in breeds like the Shetland Sheepdog
Blue a coat color that is typically a solid grey (note that a Blue Belton is a black ticked/roan dog however)
Brindle a pattern of alternating stripes of eumelanin and phaeomelanin pigmentation, i.e. yellow and black, red and black, cream and grey, etc.
Chocolate a coat color that is typically brown, used in breeds such as the Labrador Retriever
Dilution an effect on a coat color that causes it to become a paler shade like blue or cream
Eumelanin a melanin pigment that causes some shade of black or brown coloration
Harlequin a coat color pattern of ragged black spots on a white background in the Great Dane
Irish Spotting a pattern of white markings that include white undersides, a white blaze and usually a white collar
Liver a coat color that is typically brown but is occasionally used to describe a shade of orange or phaeomelanin pigmentation
Mask a pattern in which the muzzle and perhaps as far back as the ears are pigmented by eumelanin, resulting in a black or brown face
Merle a pattern which reminds one of marble in which the melanin pigment is swirled and patchy amongst many white areas
Phaeomelanin a melanin pigment that causes some shade of red, orange, gold or yellow coloration
Piebald random spots of color on a white background
Red a coat color that is typically the result of phaeomelanin pigmentation, however in some breeds such as Doberman Pinschers brown is called red
Roan a pattern of intermingled white and colored hairs on some part of the body
Ticked a pattern of many small pigmented spots on a white or roan background
Tricolor a combination of some shade of black or brown, some shade of red often called tan and some white. Therefore both eumelanin and phaeomelanin pigmentation occurs on the same dog.
Last edited by lovestruck on Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
lovestruck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Genotypes

Postby lovestruck » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:27 am

note on rarities- merle is going to be more uncommon in Pyreneans. They should only be on adopts every once in a while. The same goes for ticking. Somatic and chimeras are reserved for staff customs and special adopts only, or rare customs. Please ask permission before making a somatic/chimera.

K Locus-K: Black (solid black all over). Overrides A (agouti) series. Any genes on the A locus will not be expressed, over kbr as well
    - kbr: Brindle (black stripes on a red base). kbr is dominant over k, so a dog only needs one kbr in order to be brindle (but will be overriden by one K gene). Brindle dogs will express whichever genes are on their A locus, but the red parts of the coat (phaeomelanin) will be brindled (black parts will not be affected).
    - k: A kk dog will express whichever genes are on its A locus, not a solid black

E Locus- When ee, the hound is a recessive red, which covers all other color (no tan/black) When Ee or EE, the dog is red. When Ee/EE, the dog can expressive other colors. The dog will be red when sable is applied by the A locus. Em: Masked (black on the muzzle and the ears, and sometimes spreading to black tipping on the chest and/or back). Eg: Grizzle/Domino (eumelanin shading on the back, similar to shaded sable). Requires tan points (atat) in order to be expressed.

Cch- cream gene. cchcch expresses- must be homozygous recessive to express, otherwise it’s just carried.A shaded cream would be a Ee/EE dog. it can be applied to any colored dog. it will change tan points to cream points, and basically any red on the dog to cream. Causes gold and cream base costs on red dogs

B Locus- controls liver. Bb/BB are black based whilst bb are chocolate/liver based.

D locus- dilute- when Dd/DD, has no effect. When dd, diluted base coat from black to blue and liver to isabella

A Locus-- Ay: Sable (red with or without black tipping).
    - aw: Agouti (banded hairs). Like sable above, but the hairs all over are banded with black. This is most likely the gene responsible for wolf grey.
    - at: Tan points (black body with red on muzzle, chest, eyebrows, legs and vent). Only dominant over recessive black (below), so a dog needs to be homozygous for tan points in order to express them (or heterozygous for recessive black and tan points, but recessive black is very rare).
    - a - Recessive black (solid black with no red in the coat at all).

M Locus- Merle- when Mm, expresses Merle. If mm, no merle. MM is lethal white- which can cause serious health issues. For this reason, two Merle hounds should not be bred, if you want healthy pups. If you decide to breed two Merles, and the pup gets lethal white (MM), the breeding slots will be terminated and no pup will be made. Please do not breed two merles for this reason!! Artists please remind people when they ask to breed two Merles.

H Locus- Harlequin. Only affects merle dogs, turning the lighter patches to white, leaving solid dark patches on white. Can only work if Hh, like merle, if homozygous dominant, it’s lethal. If hh, it is not expressed.

S Locus- Spotting - S: No white (all of coat is pigmented - no white spotting).
    - sp: Piebald (homozygous causes over 50% white, with large pigmented patches on a white base). Heterozygous piebalds may have varying amounts of white, from none at all to "pseudo-irish" (phenotypically the same pattern as irish spotting but not caused by the same allele)
    - si: Irish spotting (white on muzzle, neck, chest, feet and tail tip). Homozygous sp causes irish markings and heterozygous may have any amount of white inbetween solid and irish.

T locus- controls ticking. Ticking is rarer in Pyreneans and should only happen every once in a while Tt or TT express ticking, with TT expressing heavier ticking. Tr express roan (denser ticking), and tt have no ticking/white stays clean

Other

L Locus- controls the fur type in the hounds- long fur is dominant, so LL or Ll have long fur, whilst ll have short fur
    Somatic mutations and chimeras- Somatic mutations and chimeras are very rare and may only be used on special adopts (50s, 100s) or artist customs. They will have a 10 percent chance of passing to offspring if one parent has it, and 15 percent if both have it.
Last edited by lovestruck on Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.
lovestruck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Credits

Postby lovestruck » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:14 am

Thank you to eleutheromania for tons of help on this!!
Heavily referenced and copied some information from this site.
lovestruck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me