old store pets event suggestion!

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Re: old store pets event suggestion!

Postby Obius » Thu May 16, 2019 1:51 pm

There are a few ways for old store pets to come back. But unfortunately there is too much greed involved.

If you were here in the beginning, you would recall that Tess wished for store pets to be available to those that could not afford them or missed out on them. This is where a few December 18th re-released store pets came from. It was halted almost immediately. The reason given was that, if you can get the pets for free, why spend any money buying them?

The large rejection to this changed her mind. And now she takes the stance that they will never be for free or resold again. To make things more reasonable, they have been deemed not official collectible pets. I would not be surprised if they get removed from the archives one day.

It also does not help that the few that spend the most are in charge. If your biggest sponsors threatened to leave cause you wanted to change store pets to always available to buy (like some store items), you would ditch that idea pronto. No reason to turn down thousands of dollars over a way to ensure everyone can get them for a short time until the mounting server bills cause a site shutdown.

Also, people want their value to go up to get those dream pets they crave but could not afford. So few support pets that do not grow in value. No one wants to spend $5 on a pet that is effectively OMGSC for always being available. It is why items don't get rarities. Its not the fluctuation thats the biggest problem, its that people focus too much on rarity and would skip on buying cause "its not worth it".

Now in theory, the next store pets could have a disclaimer that says "buying this pet is not a guarantee it will never be in the store again." This would remove the greed but take away some incentive to buy it. However this has been implemented successfully in a popular game called Fortnite. The team never promise the items brought will not come back again. Unless its specifically retired, the majority of items will be back in the shop. But it may take months or years and it will only be there for 1 day... And they still make a killing. So if Tess does decide to make them more accessible and less like how they are now, this method (or something like it) is a good possibility (even if their price goes up as a sort of compromise).

After all that I have seen with rarity drama, maybe its not such a bad idea to change this.

***Note that this is just my opinion. My facts and ideas my be completely wrong. And I am known for being wrong alot!***

P.S. I suggested 2nd or 3rd gen store pets only available in the store (created from breeding earlier store pets). It is unknown if this will ever happen. If it does, it may be the closest thing you could get to getting an old pet if they get too rare to trade for.

Hope you manage to get them before they get unobtainable. I already gave up on some.
Paying 6 c$ per each!
.Image

We come bearing COOKIES!!!
ImageImage
I love Lemurs!
Obius

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mirta000 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:13 am

Obius wrote: If you were here in the beginning, you would recall that Tess wished for store pets to be available to those that could not afford them or missed out on them. This is where a few December 18th re-released store pets came from. It was halted almost immediately. The reason given was that, if you can get the pets for free, why spend any money buying them?

I was not here in the beginning. I joined in 2018. Honestly I joined due to word of mouth, but if I was told that collection is almost impossible, I would not have bothered.

Obius wrote:I would not be surprised if they get removed from the archives one day.

I would be for that. No reason to collect or buy them at all if they're not part of the collection.

Obius wrote:Also, people want their value to go up to get those dream pets they crave but could not afford. So few support pets that do not grow in value. No one wants to spend $5 on a pet that is effectively OMGSC for always being available. It is why items don't get rarities. Its not the fluctuation thats the biggest problem, its that people focus too much on rarity and would skip on buying cause "its not worth it".

Shouldn't that mean that best course of action would be to do away with rarities?

Obius wrote:Now in theory, the next store pets could have a disclaimer that says "buying this pet is not a guarantee it will never be in the store again." This would remove the greed but take away some incentive to buy it. However this has been implemented successfully in a popular game called Fortnite. The team never promise the items brought will not come back again. Unless its specifically retired, the majority of items will be back in the shop. But it may take months or years and it will only be there for 1 day... And they still make a killing. So if Tess does decide to make them more accessible and less like how they are now, this method (or something like it) is a good possibility (even if their price goes up as a sort of compromise).

Honestly, this is the first time that I see exclusivity on this level. All games that I regularly play (including MMOs) had the longest exclusive period to an item for about 5 years. Everything is on rotation and comes back, because otherwise your new players will be highly turned off.

Obius wrote:Hope you manage to get them before they get unobtainable. I already gave up on some.

Yeah, considering the pressure I've just been pondering for a few days now, should I straight up quit lol. Feels very pointless when you know that there's a possibility that you'll never finish your collection.
mirta000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DrinaLestrange » Sat May 18, 2019 2:31 am

You've already been told by multiple people that store pets are NOT part of obtaining a complete collection so I'm not sure why you're stuck on that. You've been here a little over a year and this website has been around for 10+ years. You cannot expect to easily obtain 10 years worth of pets in a year. There are plenty of users who don't need a complete collection to enjoy this website. I'd rather have my few thousand multi tail dogs than a complete collection anytime.
I'm happy to announce that I am the mommy of a little girl named Chloe! Born June 2nd 2015!
Anastasia born April 23 2019!
Monroe born September 28 2023!
My birthday is Feb 9th!
DrinaLestrange

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Phantom » Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm

mirta000 wrote:
Obius wrote: If you were here in the beginning, you would recall that Tess wished for store pets to be available to those that could not afford them or missed out on them. This is where a few December 18th re-released store pets came from. It was halted almost immediately. The reason given was that, if you can get the pets for free, why spend any money buying them?

I was not here in the beginning. I joined in 2018. Honestly I joined due to word of mouth, but if I was told that collection is almost impossible, I would not have bothered.

Obius wrote:I would not be surprised if they get removed from the archives one day.

I would be for that. No reason to collect or buy them at all if they're not part of the collection.

Obius wrote:Also, people want their value to go up to get those dream pets they crave but could not afford. So few support pets that do not grow in value. No one wants to spend $5 on a pet that is effectively OMGSC for always being available. It is why items don't get rarities. Its not the fluctuation thats the biggest problem, its that people focus too much on rarity and would skip on buying cause "its not worth it".

Shouldn't that mean that best course of action would be to do away with rarities?

Obius wrote:Now in theory, the next store pets could have a disclaimer that says "buying this pet is not a guarantee it will never be in the store again." This would remove the greed but take away some incentive to buy it. However this has been implemented successfully in a popular game called Fortnite. The team never promise the items brought will not come back again. Unless its specifically retired, the majority of items will be back in the shop. But it may take months or years and it will only be there for 1 day... And they still make a killing. So if Tess does decide to make them more accessible and less like how they are now, this method (or something like it) is a good possibility (even if their price goes up as a sort of compromise).

Honestly, this is the first time that I see exclusivity on this level. All games that I regularly play (including MMOs) had the longest exclusive period to an item for about 5 years. Everything is on rotation and comes back, because otherwise your new players will be highly turned off.

Obius wrote:Hope you manage to get them before they get unobtainable. I already gave up on some.

Yeah, considering the pressure I've just been pondering for a few days now, should I straight up quit lol. Feels very pointless when you know that there's a possibility that you'll never finish your collection.

Firstly, if you've been here more than a year, and JUST figured out that it is very hard (not impossible) to get a full collection, then you must not have been very involved in forums and such, as when the list was around, that was one way to realise how hard some pets are to get.

They should still be part of the archives, because they are a pet that has been adopted out. Just because they are so hard to get, doesn't mean they should be pulled from the archives. As mentioned before, tess has said that they aren't part of the 'big collection' in a way, so that's one thing when you don't need to worry about, they're more of a bonus pet.

Rarities will never be taken away from the site, as it ruins the trading, and then things are only based upon the looks, species, and date. Taking away rarities would be taking away the trading mechanic in a way.

MMOs and other games you are talking about are much larger than Chickensmoothie (typically) and have more things for sale. Tess most likely doesn't want this game to be a 'pay to play', as in, pay to get all the pets, which would make it less inclusive.

The point of this site is yes, collecting pets, but it's also to make friends and get along with everyone. I've made friends that I've had for nearly three years now, and that's from the forums, which could even be considered bigger than the adopting the pets themselves. If you purely want to have a full collection, then expect it to take more than a small year.
┌─────────────────────────┐

Image Image Imagex

└─────────────────────────┘
~Phantom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flicka » Sun May 26, 2019 12:13 pm

~Phantom wrote:
mirta000 wrote:

Firstly, if you've been here more than a year, and JUST figured out that it is very hard (not impossible) to get a full collection, then you must not have been very involved in forums and such, as when the list was around, that was one way to realise how hard some pets are to get.

They should still be part of the archives, because they are a pet that has been adopted out. Just because they are so hard to get, doesn't mean they should be pulled from the archives. As mentioned before, tess has said that they aren't part of the 'big collection' in a way, so that's one thing when you don't need to worry about, they're more of a bonus pet.

Rarities will never be taken away from the site, as it ruins the trading, and then things are only based upon the looks, species, and date. Taking away rarities would be taking away the trading mechanic in a way.

MMOs and other games you are talking about are much larger than Chickensmoothie (typically) and have more things for sale. Tess most likely doesn't want this game to be a 'pay to play', as in, pay to get all the pets, which would make it less inclusive.

The point of this site is yes, collecting pets, but it's also to make friends and get along with everyone. I've made friends that I've had for nearly three years now, and that's from the forums, which could even be considered bigger than the adopting the pets themselves. If you purely want to have a full collection, then expect it to take more than a small year.

I just wanted to point out that your second to last statement is actually false. Chickensmoothie is a pay to play site if you're looking to get the high end pets (save for if your lucky on dec 18th) You either have to be an amazing artist taking comissions or selling adoptables. Otherwise the only way to get them is to buy mass store pets. Very rarely can you actually make a fair trade without including store pets to get high ends at a fair trade.
Flicka

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Sun May 26, 2019 4:04 pm

Gonna pop in here to say a couple of things...

- Pet site models are different from MMO models. Also you probably never played Club Penguin... And last time I played Neopets, there were definitely some exclusive items that were forever retired for no reason besides retiring them. Over my 10+ years of playing pet sites (CS is more of an adoptables site than a pet site, though--and so its model is still different from pet sites, where there are pets and items that are available 24/7/365) and other game sites, I’ve definitely seen some with items that were retired just to be retired (it’s not like they were retired because of old art or something). I don't remember exactly which sites these were since I skedaddled out of most of them real quick lol

- Rarities on CS are not like rarities in some other games you may have played. Other games have rarities corresponding to power and difficulty to get but NOT to actual availability (e.g. anyone can get this 6* character as long as you do these super hard tasks—the difficulty is why the character is a 6* instead of a 1*). On CS, rarities are quite literal reflections of availability. So to do away with the rarity system would mean one of the following:
- - Remove the tags. Nothing technically changes, but players will have to rely exclusively on player interaction to figure out if the most basic trades possible are anywhere near fair, and staff members may have more work to do when resolving scamming incidents ("you can't prove that these pets are so much more common than I said they were") unless rarity viewing is restricted to staff only--not a good idea.
- - Remove the actual rarity system or render it useless by inducing some kind of technical change. I don’t know how you can do this without making all pets equally rare.

Just saw this topic but I’m on my phone about to go to bed so I won’t type much more. May or may not type more after I wake up, depending.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: Won't have time today to type a lot OTL sorry! But I can add one more thing quickly:

I have never seen CS advertise itself as a collect-them-all kind of adoptables site; it's always just been "you can adopt pets every month, and if you want other pets, you can trade for them" or something else that's as literal as that. But I guess that CS may give the impression of being a collect-them-all kind of adoptable site, considering the "You own this pet" checkmark in the Archives. And considering that we have the Archives at all. So I guess people who are new to CS and have played other games recently may be applying their mental models and expectations from those games onto CS (e.g. a thing where you can view everything "in the game" = a collection book), which later results in what's probably a very disappointing realization that CS's Archives are there as quite literal archives and that the rarity tags are quite literal representations of rarity, unlike in other games.

Makes me wonder if we should do anything about it as times change. But CS is pretty big and it appears to be doing well to me, so I guess it's okay.

CS's economy is a different can of worms that probably shouldn't be discussed here...

I was going to say something about store pets being considered separate and how we can make that clearer (the C$ tags that we got recently are great for recognizing store pets, but they don't really do much more than that since store pets appear the same way in the Archives as all other pets), but I forgot what I wanted to say...
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me