Help me figure out pricing!

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Help me figure out pricing!

Postby Ki-Mono » Wed May 15, 2019 4:48 am

So some asked me not long ago if I did commissions. Officially I don't because I am quite busy, however I make exceptions for those who ask personally.
My main problem is that I have no concept of how to value things on this site. I mainly use this site for drawing VS challenges for fun. So value of pets and whatnot go a little over my head.
I did find a forum dealing with this issue, but there were two problems with it. A) it seemed to be dead, and B) it required me to price someone else's art in order to get help. If I don't know how to price my own art using pets, how the heck am I supposed to do that for someone else?? :/

So idk if this is allowed or if this is the right place to put it, but here's my thing:
What she offered
Character she wants drawn:

How much of this character should I draw for this offer? A sketch, a color? bust, full body?
I literally have no idea. I'm not really into the pet trading thing
Ki-Mono

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Help me figure out pricing!

Postby Celozon » Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am

The thread you mentioned that you found is probably still the best place to ask, simply because those who are more knowledgeable in this area will probably be following the thread and be able to help more. If you don't want to give an opinion yourself, you may consider looking through recent pages for people who seem to have a good idea on prices and PM them, or just look through for opinions on art that is similar in quality to your own.

I'll do my best to give my own opinion since I do stalk the art shop board a bit, in the future its good to give some examples of your own art, though in this case it was fairly easy to just look in your gallery. I will probably give excessive amounts of info you don't really need, sorry about that, you can skip down to the bolded bit if you don't want my blabber. And to be clear, this will just be my own opinion on my own limited experience in the art shops board, I usually have difficulty helping people price their art as well as in the end it is mostly up to the artist and how they value their art.

All said, I'd say what was offered would be fairly normal payment for a fullbody piece of your art quality. Though CS artists in my opinion tend to under-price themselves due to all the competition, and users not wanting to pay high prices. Considering how good your art is though you could probably charge higher prices and still get customers. What they've offered amounts to a couple 2009 very rares + several 2010 rares, but you should also consider how interested you are in the pets offered or their trading value to you. Unfortunately rats do tend to be harder to trade or trade for less, consider how it would effect you and whether it lowers the overall value of the offer for you or not.

As for actual pricing suggestion, I'm just gonna go by what I personally would charge if this were my own art. Assuming it is around the same quality as the oekaki's in your gallery, and takes approx an hour (or a bit more), I'd say for that payment, a half-body, or a simple full body. (partly based off my own normal price for pixel headshots which take me about an hour and I charge 2 2009 very rares for those)

But personally the easiest way I found to decide prices was find a general range I was comfortable charging at, then opening an art shop and adjusting depending on how many people wanted my art (raise the prices if there are a lot, lower if there aren't enough, basic stuff). That might not be something you want to do, but its what I found as the best way to find a median between not underpricing yourself but still getting customers.

You're not gonna please everyone with prices, if you charge higher (I consider myself in that range) some people will balk at the price/say its too high, but I personally don't feel its worth underpricing my own art, and I still get plenty of interest from people willing to pay. All said, charge what feels right for you, what you're willing to take for your time and energy, if they don't want to pay that much its their problem, not yours.
ImageImage
Celozon
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GAIRENTH » Wed May 15, 2019 3:45 pm

One method I tried when figuring out how to price my art when I considered selling it for CS Pets was to price it in USD and then convert that to C$ amount, and then when someone offered payment I would see if the value of the pets matched up to the C$ amount. It takes a little work and math, but it helps in getting an idea of what you should charge. But of course, some people do lowball themselves or up their prices more because they would rather have actual money than CS Pets. Just depends on what you see your art is worth.

If you want to try this to see if it's what you're looking for I can help you calculate it and give examples. (:

Edit: Just fixing grammar.
Last edited by GAIRENTH on Fri May 17, 2019 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAIRENTH

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ki-Mono » Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 am

Thanks a bunch you two
I think I got enough info to give her a response now
Ki-Mono

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby GAIRENTH » Fri May 17, 2019 2:13 am

You're welcome!
Only thing I'll say with this is that your art is fantastic, and don't sell yourself too short!
GAIRENTH

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me