Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby paleosuchus » Sun May 05, 2019 4:04 am

-snip-
Last edited by paleosuchus on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby Elliad. » Sun May 05, 2019 5:13 am

vos. wrote:
Elliad. wrote:So, I've been riding a lot more lately and decided that I am going to try a bitless bridle but does anyone know any good articles to read about it? I want to find companies that produce safe ones that aren't going to harm my baby girl and I want to make sure I know what I am doing for the same reason.

I'm a little late to this but the horse I lease is ridden in hackamore only - I'd always wanted to try one on my horses but my grandparents never let me because if you pull too hard you can supposedly break their nose?? I've never had a problem with a hackamore, and I might prefer it honestly.
I coincidentally took photos of my lease horse today but this is the hackamore I use, it's a very simple mechanical one and I actually love it

Oh thanks, I'm definitely going to read more into hackamore.

(Your horse is stunning btw)
x
xxxxxxx
Cosmos 🎀 They/Them 🎀 AUDHD !!
I am just returning from a long
hiatus and trying to get back into
it. I am starting with species then
hopefully role-playing will be next.
x
x
x
navigation !!
🎀 Kalons
🎀 Stormclan
🎀 © Pfp
🎀 © Sig
Elliad.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Sun May 05, 2019 8:45 am

Hi guys! I didn't see a form or anything to fill out (sorry if I missed it!). I had my first lesson in 2 years a couple weeks ago! I have been riding since I was like 7-9 (idk exactly when lol) but I broke my foot in 2017 and I just never got back to riding until this year. I forgot how physical horseback riding was lol my legs are SO SORE. It's good to be back though!

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Re:

Postby lakarr » Fri May 10, 2019 3:15 am

Elliad. wrote:
vos. wrote:
Elliad. wrote:So, I've been riding a lot more lately and decided that I am going to try a bitless bridle but does anyone know any good articles to read about it? I want to find companies that produce safe ones that aren't going to harm my baby girl and I want to make sure I know what I am doing for the same reason.

I'm a little late to this but the horse I lease is ridden in hackamore only - I'd always wanted to try one on my horses but my grandparents never let me because if you pull too hard you can supposedly break their nose?? I've never had a problem with a hackamore, and I might prefer it honestly.
I coincidentally took photos of my lease horse today but this is the hackamore I use, it's a very simple mechanical one and I actually love it

Oh thanks, I'm definitely going to read more into hackamore.

(Your horse is stunning btw)

I ride my boy in a hackamore, too. It's effective enough to use on a green horse, but doesn't involve a bit. My horse REALLY didn't like having a bit in his mouth, and he responded just fine to a hackamore, so I haven't bothered with anything but bitless. I have tried side-pulls and Dr. Cooks bitless, but he didn't do well in either of those; he also had very little training at the time so I was literally muscling his head around with those. I also rode him in a rope halter last fall, after a summer of training and riding, and after I figured out the best place to clip the reins, he was fine. If you're worried about control, but want to go bitless, I highly recommend the type of hackamore Vos has (I have it, too); my boy was green as grass and it worked great! I'm also super light-handed while riding, so I've never worried about damaging his nose.
Ricochet in his Hackamore
lakarr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kestrell » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:25 am

@Bitless Bridle

Hackamores are such great tools and some horses really do well with them! But there are things to keep in mind... Fitting a hack is uber important for the safety of your horse. Because of where the pressure is directed, the thin nasal bones are put at risk if the hackamore doesn't fit. My greatest suggestion is read. Read as much as you can about the types, how they exhort pressure, how to fit them etc But I would also make sure to talk with your instructor, maybe they would have other suggestions.

Resources:
Good article

Mechanical Hacks

---------------------

Hey guys! It's been a while lol... So here's a little update on what I've been doing...

All last summer was spent showing with Avery and we qualified for area IV's top 10 riders of the year for my division! Our winter was super rough on the horses (-50F at some points) so we lost a bunch of conditioning... It's also just super duper wet where I am so none of the horses can get out into pasture. I'm trying to show up a level this year, but Avery got so fat over winter that it's kind of a struggle getting him into shape...

I have a fitness plan in place, but I've never really devised one before- would anyone feel confident enough to take a look at it and maybe help me tweak it? (yes I do have a trainer on board, I'm just a nervous nelly and lobe to have more than one pair of eyes look at this lol)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello I am Kestrel! Call me whatever
I go by she/her pronouns
I am very fond of any sort of art
I am usually very shy...but I don't bite!

LinkLink
coding
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kestrell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Twistytal » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:53 am

Hello all,
I've recently been having some trouble riding and would really appreciate any advice on how to improve. I've started cantering in the last few weeks and have struggled with constantly losing my stirrups- I've been told to push my heels down, yet the stirrups still seem to slip out from beneath my boots several strides later. I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing. I would also love any overall tips for cantering as I do feel quite out of control when doing so.
Thanks in advance ♡♡

╔════════╗
''you're just''
she/her |
computer science
istp | aus | dev
''a memory.''
╚════════╝
Twistytal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:00 pm

Twistytal wrote:
Hello all,
I've recently been having some trouble riding and would really appreciate any advice on how to improve. I've started cantering in the last few weeks and have struggled with constantly losing my stirrups- I've been told to push my heels down, yet the stirrups still seem to slip out from beneath my boots several strides later. I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing. I would also love any overall tips for cantering as I do feel quite out of control when doing so.
Thanks in advance ♡♡

pushing heels down is not always good and is often bad for how one does sits and riding..., make the stirrups one hole up on the side where the stirrup slips off(or both) till you can sit without trouble and dont loose them...
Also maybe ask your trainer to take you at the lung line for cantering, like riding without stirrup or closed eyes^^
also look into other shoes who do not slip.
and think about doing good warm up bevor riding.

@
Kestrell
Hey guys! It's been a while lol... So here's a little update on what I've been doing...
All last summer was spent showing with Avery and we qualified for area IV's top 10 riders of the year for my division! Our winter was super rough on the horses (-50F at some points) so we lost a bunch of conditioning... It's also just super duper wet where I am so none of the horses can get out into pasture. I'm trying to show up a level this year, but Avery got so fat over winter that it's kind of a struggle getting him into shape...

I have a fitness plan in place, but I've never really devised one before- would anyone feel confident enough to take a look at it and maybe help me tweak it? (yes I do have a trainer on board, I'm just a nervous nelly and lobe to have more than one pair of eyes look at this lol)

is the plan only for your horse of for both of you?
when you like i could have a look at your plan :) not sure if im good with this, as i dont work with big horses but i can atleast try :D

one good training aid is horse hot walker, not tied on but Walking freely with panels between horses, you can put the horses inside for some time for just walk, or at various speeds in changing speed and directions ...like when you cant ride them or for warm up or cool down, or for morning training and so on

Hot Walking is a good exercise for group of horrses or horse in Training or rehab and not enoough people or time, a good Long walk with some trot is always good^^ and after workout it allows the horse to cool down after hard exercise, which helps the horse's pulse and respiration return to normal, reduces stiffness, and minimizes the risk of health issues

-also stretching and hill work or trot work
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby atychiphobia » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:09 am

hey so I’m just jumping in here, I haven’t read much of the recent stuff sorry, I’m a little tired and on my mobile so bear with me

Basically I have two questions, the first ones a bit more important
I want to move the paddock that my horse is in so that her current paddock gets a rest, dries up (it’s full of turned up mud) and grows a bit. The paddock I have in mind that I want to move her to has some good grass in it but it also has fly agaric mushrooms, y’know those ‘fairy mushrooms’ with red with white spots. They’re poisonous to consume. Does anyone know if it’s safe to put a horse in a paddock with poisonous mushrooms/toadstools? I’ve tried researching it but I haven’t found much. She shouldn’t eat mushrooms right? Unless she someone runs out of food right?

The second question is, I’m trying to teach my boyfriend how to ride. Any advice on teaching beginners to trot? It’s a little bit uncoordinated right now. Does he just have to become used to it and work it out or is there something I can do to make it easier? I was on a horse as an infant so I don’t remember what worked best when I was learning
atychiphobia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xxStitchesxx » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:00 pm

as for teaching how to trot tell him to tighten his thighs and maybe shorten the stirrups a little bit tell him to have one hand on the horn with the other close to she horses withers i ride pretty freely on my horse so this might be a good option
xxStitchesxx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby cashew jackman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 am

atychiphobia wrote:hey so I’m just jumping in here, I haven’t read much of the recent stuff sorry, I’m a little tired and on my mobile so bear with me

The second question is, I’m trying to teach my boyfriend how to ride. Any advice on teaching beginners to trot? It’s a little bit uncoordinated right now. Does he just have to become used to it and work it out or is there something I can do to make it easier? I was on a horse as an infant so I don’t remember what worked best when I was learning

I’ve taught a lot of friends that struggle with posting the trot :lol: and the thing that’s really helped them is doing a few exercises to help improve balance. First, make sure the stirrups are the appropriate length, then have him stand in the stirrups while the horse is standing still (have him hold the saddle horn, and the reins if he’s comfortable enough). Then have him stand for intervals of 5-10 seconds (however long he can do) while you lead the horse at a walk. This will help him find his balance while in the standing part of posting. Also this is a great time to constantly remind him to keep his heels down for balance xD Once he can stand for a few seconds, have him stand a whole lap of walking in a round pen (something with turns, so he learns to keep his balance in a turn). Next, move to a trot, either with you leading or with the horse on a lunge line, and get him to stand for a few seconds while the horse is trotting. Once he’s comfortable with that, explain the two beats of the trot and how he needs to rise and fall according to that. Usually demonstrating and/or telling them when to stand and sit helps. You could also have him stand up/sit down at a stand still to teach him the timing. Hopefully once all that’s done, he’s strong/confident enough and it’ll come easily with a few tries c:
Hope this helps!

“So you really are a princess.” Maverick's eyes burned both with anger and hurt. "When were you planning to tell me; before or after I got killed trying to protect you?”
cashew jackman

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me