[ suggestion ] notification center

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Postby sage. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:13 pm

big support here - i've always felt that notifications are spread out too much ? like i'll get a notification for a thread here, and then a trade notification, and then an event notification...it would be easier to have everything in one place !
i only use this site for oekaki and forums
sage.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: [ suggestion ] notification center

Postby Burrito Bunny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:31 pm

I would support maybe 2-3 different categories?

One for messages, maybe one for trade, and one for everything else (oekaki, subscriptions, site news even!), although the trade one might be combined in the everything else category.

For me at least, private messages are super important so I'd feel really bad if I lost someone's urgent message in a pile of personal notifs. I imagine trades might be high priority to some as well. But a Notification Center for "no response required" type stuff would be cool. This could include oekaki drawings, subscribed threads (with an option to turn off emails), site update information, etc.
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:31 pm

I personally don't see a need to add something like this when we have all these notifications easily visible already, just in separate places? You can already see if you have any new messages or trades without having to click anything at all just by checking if there's new number next to "Trades" or "Messages" at the top of the page, and I haven't tried it yet, but I believe the new Oekaki follow link will do the same thing.

Then you can click the home page (if that's not where you are already when you open the site) for those updates and information about any current events, and click your bookmarks to check threads you're following. And if you're especially concerned about missing a new message, trade, or post on a thread, it's also possible to get immediate email updates for all of them, which (assuming you check your email often and/or get notified on your phone/desktop for anything new) probably works better for anything particularly important since you would see it wherever you are without having to actually be on CS.

It only takes 2-3 clicks to check all of the above right now, and I think I personally even prefer that over having it all in one place so I can choose specifically which I want to look at without being distracted by other updates I'm not interested in seeing at that moment. Similar to what Burrito said, when I want to check my PMs, for example, I don't want to have to scroll past a bunch of other stuff to get to them. I want to be able to jump straight to them and see only my PMs until I'm ready to look at something else. If the notification center had tabs or something similar to separate each category, that would solve that issue, but then it wouldn't be any different than what we have already: everything in its own space but quickly accessible with one click for any page.

Being able to organize how the notifications are ordered in your notification center would be a plus, but again we kind of already have the same effect by being able to look at any of these things in any order we want? If I'd like to see "notifications" about new PMs before any new trades, for example, I can just click on PMs first, then click on trades when I'm done there.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Art credits: Avatar
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
...............ImageImage
Schuyler
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:38 pm

I guess for me it's more of a "yeah it's nice to know that x, y, and z, happened, but I don't care that much." Currently this is only the oekaki feed - I'm hesitant to follow people because I actually don't want a ton of notifs all the time lol. However, I could also see it being good for a repurpose on the subscribe button vs bookmarks.

I don't like my email getting clogged with automated messages so I don't subscribe to stuff. However, I wouldn't mind getting a little notif for important threads that get posted on. I bookmark some things because I actually care about them and want to see updates, and others because they are "problem" threads, question threads, or threads frequently requested by users or something like that. Even as a regular member I'd book mark tons of things Just wanted to look back at later, which would spam the topics I actively followed. So, I'd lump getting notifications about oekaki drawings in with new posts on a thread I like, and would rather they appear together than separately in areas that were persistently trying to catch your attention.
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acadicus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:06 am

support!
though i believe that getting "new follower" notifications might not be the best idea?? because i think it's been brought up that we wouldn't want cs to become a "battle for subscribers" kind of thing, and if we got notifications when we got a new follower that could take away the "not knowing how many followers you have" thing that we have currently. just my opinion though!!
acadicus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby arabella !! » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 am

Support for notifications to be organized into better categories!

hii ! call me ara :3 i luv
all things cute n insane
└───── ♥ ♡ ♥ ─────┘
▀▀▀▀▀ミ★ ▀▀▀▀▀
she/her gamer adult silly
────────────────────

arabella !!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes