Suggestion: Font Changer BBCodes + More!

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Suggestion: Font Changer BBCodes + More!

Postby oakhearted » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Chicken Smoothie should add a font changer bbcode similar to what Flight Rising and other sites got, Along with perhaps a spoiler bbcode and a scrolling marquee bbcode, Oh and maybe a tables/columns bbcode?
Just my suggestions!
cheyne / adult / enfp-t / 4w5 / tritype: 495 / lawful good / sanguine [dom] / aest
carrd (main) :: carrd (cs) :: listo :: he/they :: toyhou.se :: oakhearted#8284 :: Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sig & pfp includes characters & ppl i kin | looking for new friends, hmu! | i'm in multiple fandoms ^^
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicken Smoothie Resources: help forum > faq > site rules > wiki > contact staff
oakhearted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Suggestion: Font Changer BBCodes + More!

Postby nickjr » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:39 pm

No support, sorry

Font-changer: It's already difficult to read the titles some users have in their threads when they use a different website to make the title... I'm not really sure I want to make that readily available for entire post bodies.

Spoiler: denied in the past because it wouldn't really bring anything of value and users on other threads that I can't find right now also pointed out that people might think they can get away with breaking CS rules inside spoiler tags just because spoilers are not immediately visible by default (we already have something similar with posting links: we can't post links that break CS rules [the line is a little fuzzy, but for illustration purposes I'm just going to refer to very obvious cases], but some users don't realize that and post links that break CS rules, such as blogs with major swear words or social media with pictures and personal information of themselves; my impression is that the links-cannot-break-CS-rules rule is more widely known now, but I know that it wasn't always nearly as widely known as it is now)

so.... that would be a lot of fun for the poor mods to moderate :'D

Scrolling marquee: I've seen this suggested once but I don't remember what the user or staff feedback (if any) on it was. But the reason I don't support it would be similar to the spoiler reasoning: opens the door for users to do stuff like... stuff the entire body of their post into a scrolling marquee because it's cool (and it is cool, but I don't want to have to click Quote every time I want to read something) or hide something inappropriate in a marquee in a sea of otherwise appropriate content (I don't think the mods want to have to click Quote on every post with a scrolling marquee in order to check that there's no hidden inappropriate content and I don't think they have the time for that either)

Tables/columns: I would actually love this but I can already see the moderators' workload shooting up from "my code broke the page ;___; I can't find where I went wrong" reports; closing certain tags in the wrong order on CS already makes pages look strange (center+quote are probably really notorious culprits among the mods by now) and I feel like adding table code is going to make that pile of broken-code reports shoot up... And those reports can't be ignored because otherwise pages can be difficult to read if the code is really badly broken, but they're not "important" reports compared to stuff like art theft or bullying...
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:51 pm

Agreed with every point nickjr made. Though specifically the column tag would he great - we have columns in the form of left/right tags but they also align text, and we already get an inundating amount of questions about those. I think column tags would actually make things simpler and easier on us. So support for that tag's implentation!

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby axelandria » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:58 am

for spoilers (on the fandom threads I've seen) you can just make your text transparent, like this -> spoiler here <- the text can be seen if you highlight the area.

code:
Code: Select all
[color=transparent]spoiler here[/color]

example:
    spoilers below! (highlight the text to see)
    this happened and that happened blah blah blah spoilers etc. etc. show this show that etc. etc. paragraph of spoilers and such la dee dah
    anyways I loved this season

𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦,
xxx𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴

xxx
call me axel (she/they)
adopt a newbie
toyhouse
listography

axelandria
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gloo Soda » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:46 am

No opinion on the tables/columns suggestion, but no support on the font BBCode. As it stands, when people go out of their way to manually paste fonts in their posts, it gets hard to read. Especially if it's combined with being able to use BBCode to make text smaller... too much potential for eyestrain.

Trades

Gloo Soda

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:35 pm

That is a good point that I'm very embarrassed I did not think about -sweats profusely-
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:30 am

Birb wrote:
    I actually support the font suggestion because, as contradictory as it may sound, it would actually be more accessible.

Let me explain. With font-changed BBCode, it is still actually plain text, just with a changed external appearance, so if one were to use a screen-reader, or to quote the post, or to copy and paste the text somewhere else, then it would be readable. Meanwhile, if people use non-keyboard-character "fonts" 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤, it's completely unreadable no matter what workarounds one may attempt.

I currently see countless people using the non-keyboard-characters and it's extremely frustrating. If fonts were enabled, that would open up more ways to work around and make it readable, while still allowing the people who enjoy fonts to use them. Also, certain ridiculously difficult fonts (like overly fancy cursive, or joke fonts) could, I do believe, be disabled.

I hope this provided some perspective ^^

I'd definitely support on this point if the copy-paste fonts were disabled (is that possible?) or banned.
    Actually, that being said, I want them disabled or banned anyway lol.

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:00 am

This thread is 1.5 years old but seems somewhat similar? Don't know if you want to move discussion there or not

nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CloudedDiamond » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:21 am

I'd support the font option if there were limited options: fonts similar to Arial

Fonts it can include:

Arial, Times New Roman, Georgia, Comic Sans;

Diamond | she/they/xe/ae | Aroace | EST

[TH] | [DA] | [FR] | [ArtFight]
[Commissions - Open] | [Stars]

[VOK] | [ToET] | [SparrowClan] | [The Flower Garden]
[Gentle Paws] | [The Lost River] | [CAC]
CloudedDiamond

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gloo Soda » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:38 pm

After reading more on people's viewpoints here, I do have a slightly changed opinion.

I can see the benefit to having some very specific fonts added in BBCode, since there's lots that are easy to read. In fact, some might be easier for some people read, as stated before.

But I also agree with the idea that we should consider banning copy-paste fonts...or, not necessarily ALL of them, but disallowing ones that are a hassle to read, like ones that use odd symbols in place of every single letter. I'm usually pretty good with reading a mix of fonts, but when people use certain copy-paste fonts, I just can't figure out which letter is supposed to be which. And sometimes this is made worse by them making their text smaller... *shudders*

Definitely in support of adding a few different reliable fonts, if it's possible to do.

Trades

Gloo Soda

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me