The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby Kat » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:28 pm

I don't know if this is allowed and will gladly remove this post if it isn't, but I wanted to show you guys my female mousey friend, Yogurt. As you can see, she's a 'wild' girl. A friend of my mother's brought her to me as a baby after their family cat left her on their front porch. She was bleeding from where the cat had bitten her and the injury grew horribly infected (to the point where I considered having her euthanized), but after putting her on antibiotics for a while and feeding her kitten formula, she miraculously recovered and grew into this beautiful (and unfortunately very tame) adult. I'd wanted to release her at first, but I fear that she's far too tame. Plus, the weather is already very, very cold where I live. I have her in a naturalistic garden-like terrarium type enclosure right now that she's never tried to 'escape', which makes me believe that she's at least comfortable in there? Though I still want to move her into an even larger enclosure. Like, massive. I just want to give her as much 'freedom' as I can without releasing her, because I'm almost certain at this point that she would have no idea what to do in the wild. She still begs me for yogurt (her favorite treat), which is where her name came from...

Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:35 pm

Kat wrote:I don't know if this is allowed and will gladly remove this post if it isn't, but I wanted to show you guys my female mousey friend, Yogurt. As you can see, she's a 'wild' girl. A friend of my mother's brought her to me as a baby after their family cat left her on their front porch. She was bleeding from where the cat had bitten her and the injury grew horribly infected (to the point where I considered having her euthanized), but after putting her on antibiotics for a while and feeding her kitten formula, she miraculously recovered and grew into this beautiful (and unfortunately very tame) adult. I'd wanted to release her at first, but I fear that she's far too tame. Plus, the weather is already very, very cold where I live. I have her in a naturalistic garden-like terrarium type enclosure right now that she's never tried to 'escape', which makes me believe that she's at least comfortable in there? Though I still want to move her into an even larger enclosure. Like, massive. I just want to give her as much 'freedom' as I can without releasing her, because I'm almost certain at this point that she would have no idea what to do in the wild. She still begs me for yogurt (her favorite treat), which is where her name came from...

first of all-- she is so adorable!! I think wild mice are so adorable in comparison to domesticated mice. If she's too tame, then don't release her, as she's grown to learn that you are providing her the food, and she knows she's safe in that terrarium.
Also, you are right. she wouldn't know what to do, as she would most likely wait for you to feed her. she also doesn't know the dangers of the outside world, what to look out for, since you said you raised her from a baby. She also would most likely not know where to go if it's very cold in your area.
It's best not to release her.

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tjebb » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:16 am

I just did a super cute photo shoot with my 3 hamsters and guinea pig! I did them all separately. The results are so cute! They got a few treats afterward.

My Kalons
I no longer actively draw using Oekaki, but I'll try my best to use the forums and talk via dms and such!
Looking for art!

Image Image Image
Tjebb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ThePetCollector » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:41 pm

Hello, I wanted to introduce myself. I absolutely adore animals and breed fancy rats, fancy mice, gerbils, and Egyptian Spiny Mice.

I hope to be a part of this thread.
Gift Of Randomness!! But Do Not Ask, You WIll NOT Receive! :)
Gifted Randomly: 65 Times

I WIll Collect Every Pet Possible! It Is MY Mission!
My birthday is October 20th!! :D
Pet collection account, working on adoption center

[b]I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 10 people.
I have received 24 Gifts
Adoption Center- Donations Appreciated to Grow :D
ThePetCollector

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mystical-maniac » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:35 pm

i have a piggy named lennie. she is sweet. Image

"boring artist™"

links
-instagram
-toyhouse
-artfight
-sig art base
Feel free to PM me for any reason!
mystical-maniac

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:20 am

I don't think I've ever actually posted photos of my crazy lil dwarf hamster, so here are the two I managed to get! Her name is Pi, (as in π) and i'm pretty sure she's insane judging by the amount of time she spends charging around.

ImageImage

She lives in a 40gal aquarium at the minute (minus the water haha) which she loves, but I'm in the middle of building an extension for her. I'll post pictures of the whole thing when it's finished! c:
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WindCaster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:05 pm

*just dropping in*
I have four baby mice that are about to be separated in a week. Unfortunately, I got the combination I didn't want. There's only one male. I've been reading online and I can't figure out what to do with him so maybe someone can share from experience. I will keep all four babies. I'm not sure if the male should be kept alone(in which case he would have a cage next to the females) or if we should get him another buddy. He seems pretty calm and quiet. I fear putting him with another male would put him in a bad position but I know he would be lonely otherwise. Any advice would be great.

*If I got another male, I would make sure neither of them is in the cage beforehand, and the cage would not be next to the females.
ImageImageImage
WindCaster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:14 pm

WindCaster wrote:*just dropping in*
I have four baby mice that are about to be separated in a week. Unfortunately, I got the combination I didn't want. There's only one male. I've been reading online and I can't figure out what to do with him so maybe someone can share from experience. I will keep all four babies. I'm not sure if the male should be kept alone(in which case he would have a cage next to the females) or if we should get him another buddy. He seems pretty calm and quiet. I fear putting him with another male would put him in a bad position but I know he would be lonely otherwise. Any advice would be great.

(Mice babies, so sweet <3) Honestly it really depends. First off, I'd advise against putting his cage next to the females. Unless he is castrated (which almost never happens in rodents as small as he is), their heats will drive him crazy trying to get to them. I'd suggest moving him to another room in the house. While this won't solve the problem completely, it will take away some of the stress. As for getting him a buddy, I'd say to get him a friend who his about his age and size and introduce them young. If they dislike each other, however, be prepared to separate them and have ready another cage. I hope this helps!
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WindCaster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:35 pm

That definitely helps. I hadn't thought about that in keeping him next to the females. I live at 2 different houses so his sisters will go to one, but I think it might be better to move him to the other house instead. I have quite a few restrictions with the mice so it wouldn't be likely I could move him to another room in the same house. How could I tell what mouse is best to get to be with him? Again, he seems pretty calm. He's champagne(and gorgeous) but I think his red eyes make him pretty sensitive to light. Also, unfortunately, the only reasonable place I could get a friend for him would be Pet Smart or Petco, and I don't know if they have younger mice to introduce to him. He's 3 weeks old.
ImageImageImage
WindCaster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 pm

WindCaster wrote:That definitely helps. I hadn't thought about that in keeping him next to the females. I live at 2 different houses so his sisters will go to one, but I think it might be better to move him to the other house instead. I have quite a few restrictions with the mice so it wouldn't be likely I could move him to another room in the same house. How could I tell what mouse is best to get to be with him? Again, he seems pretty calm. He's champagne(and gorgeous) but I think his red eyes make him pretty sensitive to light. Also, unfortunately, the only reasonable place I could get a friend for him would be Pet Smart or Petco, and I don't know if they have younger mice to introduce to him. He's 3 weeks old.

hmm, most mice at PetSmart and Petco are fairly young, I'd suggest asking a worker there if they know the age of the mice. It'll be hard to decide which one to pick, as you're most likely only going to be observing them for a couple minutes, but try to find one that seems a bit more mellow, and isn't totally hyper. Again, ask a worker if they have seen a mouse stand out to them as being calm. Or, a idea would be to look on Craigslist or some other listing site. I know Craigslist is controversial, but in my opinion Craigslist has worked for me as long as you are careful. Craigslist would be a good alternative, as you could get more one on one with the seller and the mouse. (haha, my hamster is staring at me while i'm writing this, she looks betrayed XD). If you'd be interested in looking on Craigslist for a seller, a good flag for a high-quality breeder is if their post is long and detailed about their mice. Another great flag is if they have conditions of selling the mouse (ex. minimum cage size). Try to avoid people rehoming their mice, unless you're completely comfortable with it. Hope this helps as well c:
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me