Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Postby eff » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:13 am

Naeco wrote:
halogen. wrote:No ones arguing lmao. And just because that’s the Google definition doesn’t mean it’s right.

And saying that pitbull is a group of dogs fuels BSL and we all know that BSL kills thousands of bully breed mixes every year. And it is partly due to mislabeling. Call the dog the breed that it is.

Exactly. And if you don't know what it is, don't be so full of pride to not call it a mutt. A mutt is not as bad as it sounds.

A mutt is never a "bad thing". I thought it meant mongrel? Like a non-pedi dog?
And besides, I was raised and taught that Pit Bulls are a range of breeds, and it is sad to say that any dog that falls under the characteristics of a pit bull can be killed if the area follows BSL. I found this:
https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/pit-bull/ wrote:A "pit bull," is defined as any dog that is an American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or any dog displaying the majority of physical traits of any one (1) or more of the above breeds, or any dog exhibiting those distinguishing characteristics which substantially conform to the standards established by the American Kennel Club or United Kennel Club for any of the above breeds. Dias v. City & County of Denver, 567 F.3d 1169, 1173 (10th Cir. Colo. 2009)

I also saw a video about a woman who took in a "Pit-type" dog, and was threatened that the dog would be killed under BSL had she not get proof of the adopted senior dogs genetics. Thankfully, he wasn't classified as a "Pitbull" and the owner got him back, but I've also seen people experience being spat on for having type dogs.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:24 am

yellow; wrote:
Naeco wrote:
halogen. wrote:No ones arguing lmao. And just because that’s the Google definition doesn’t mean it’s right.

And saying that pitbull is a group of dogs fuels BSL and we all know that BSL kills thousands of bully breed mixes every year. And it is partly due to mislabeling. Call the dog the breed that it is.

Exactly. And if you don't know what it is, don't be so full of pride to not call it a mutt. A mutt is not as bad as it sounds.

A mutt is never a "bad thing". I thought it meant mongrel? Like a non-pedi dog?
And besides, I was raised and taught that Pit Bulls are a range of breeds, and it is sad to say that any dog that falls under the characteristics of a pit bull can be killed if the area follows BSL. I found this:
https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/pit-bull/ wrote:A "pit bull," is defined as any dog that is an American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or any dog displaying the majority of physical traits of any one (1) or more of the above breeds, or any dog exhibiting those distinguishing characteristics which substantially conform to the standards established by the American Kennel Club or United Kennel Club for any of the above breeds. Dias v. City & County of Denver, 567 F.3d 1169, 1173 (10th Cir. Colo. 2009)

I also saw a video about a woman who took in a "Pit-type" dog, and was threatened that the dog would be killed under BSL had she not get proof of the adopted senior dogs genetics. Thankfully, he wasn't classified as a "Pitbull" and the owner got him back, but I've also seen people experience being spat on for having type dogs.

A Labrador Retriever, a Golden Retriever, a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever are all Retrievers, hence the "Retriever" in their names. An American Pit Bull Terrier, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, an American Staffordshire Terrier, a Jack Russel Terrier, a Rat Terrier are all Terriers, hence the "Terrier" in their names. These are breed groups (ie Terrier, Retriever, Hound, etc)

A Labrador Retriever is a Lab, a Golden Retriever is a Goldie, a Stafforshire Bull Terrier is a Staffie, and an American Pit Bull Terrier is a Pit Bull. These are nicknames. (ie Corgi, Sheltie, Doberman, Rottie, etc.) Therefore, a Staffie is not a Pit Bull just like a Labrador wouldn't be a Goldie or a Rottie.

And for more clearing up, a Pit Bull is not, in my opinion, a bully breed just like a Boston Terrier is not. Bully breeds are Boxers, American Bulldogs, English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, Bull Mastiff, Cane Corso, etc.

I know this is in a different language but this picture shows a good example of the breed standard for a Pit.

And then this is a good example of American Bullies

Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:09 am

@Naeco

Thank you for the educated reply!! Very well said! And you are correct, pitbulls are terriers not bully breed. Don’t know why pitbull started being used as a name for any short haired blocky headed dog because it’s a vicious cycle that kills so many dogs and it doesn’t seem to be ended anytime soon.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:13 am

halogen. wrote:@Naeco

Thank you for the educated reply!! Very well said! And you are correct, pitbulls are terriers not bully breed. Don’t know why pitbull started being used as a name for any short haired blocky headed dog because it’s a vicious cycle that kills so many dogs and it doesn’t seem to be ended anytime soon.

It is such a terrible cycle. Especially when it comes to "nanny dogs" and "pibbles" (which neither exist).
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CookieKat208 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:46 pm

I actually used to be scared of pitbulls because of the stories I had heard, until i met my father in law's pitbull. his name is hummer (like the vehicle, haha) and he showed me that with a handler that knows what theyre doing, pitbulls can be like any other dog. fast forward two years down the road and hummer is my favorite dog in the world. he'll sit on my lap and snuggle up and take long snoozes on me. makes me feel special that hes taken such a liking to me. he also does this thing that my father in law has dubbed "the love stare" where he'll stare at you and his tail goes back and forth like a lasso being swung, do a little paw dance, and bring you one of his toys so you can both play. a silly, lovely big guy! <33

ImageImageImage

Oohhhhh!
He's a frozen treat with an all new taste!
'cause he came to this planet from outer space!
A refugee of an interstellar war!
But now he's at your local grocery store!
Cookie Cat!
He's a pet for your tummy!
Cookie Cat!
He's super duper yummy!
Cookie Cat!
He left his family behind!
Cookie Caaaaat!
Now available at Gurgens off Route 109!
CookieKat208

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pupper.exe » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 pm

smol vent

My dog had a torn ligament a few years ago. It healed nicely, but a few days ago, my parents took her on a walk, sprinklers turned on, me ran, my dad fell on her, it aggravated her injury, yadda yadda. She was limping and stuff, but why would my parents take her to the vet like, hmm, idk, normal people? Nah, let's just give her my dad's pain meds.

LIKE WHO DOES THAT

pupper.exe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Should pit bulls be banned?

Postby akoridi » Sun May 02, 2021 6:03 am

Hey

I’ve been debating this topic for a while now with some friends, I thought it would be interesting to hear other opinions

Rules:
- keep it respectful
-all of tesses rules apply
-no spam please. Keep it on topic.

My opinion:

Personally I don’t think they should be BANNED however I do think there needs to be stricter laws regarding ownership of these beautiful dogs. Pits are euthanized significantly more often than any other breed. This is partially due to the fact that 65% of all dog attacks are from pits while the rest is every other breed combined. These breeds need to stop being advertised as ‘amazing family pets’ because yes, they definitely can be, but unfortunately the majority just,, aren’t. IMO there needs to be better temperament tests for pits in shelters. Currently, shelters are legally allowed to move another dog to a different shelter and get rid of their history. For example if a dog with a bite history gets put into a new shelter, the shelter doesn’t have to tell anyone that this dog was aggressive. Instead they simply say it is dog reactive, man reactive, etc. this leds to many new families adopting a dog who isn’t suited for a house with children. If a dog doesn’t pass a strict temperament test, they should undergo a ton of rehabilitation until it is able to be adopted into a family. These dogs are a lot of work and some just aren’t ready for this.

TLDR; It’s never the dogs fault but instead people who adopt these dogs, who haven’t been properly assessed or with unknown backgrounds, into families with little knowledge on dog behavior or with small kids. There should be stricter laws on how they should be adopted out and how shelters make sure the dogs history is transferred over to new shelters, as well as proper rehabilitation for aggressive dogs.

That’s just my opinion though. I absolutely love pits but it’s a shame so many are euthanized. I love to hear what you think. Do you agree? Do you completely disagree? Let me know :D
akoridi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Should pit bulls be banned?

Postby doreet » Mon May 03, 2021 12:15 am

YES,I think pits should be banned,In my country my experience with friends who bought pits ,was that the pits attack other pets in the family:and my friend never trained the pit to attack!Too many people here don't know how to HANDLE PITBULLS AND THEY KILL AND MAIM PEOPLE. UGH. POLICE ONLY should have professional pitbulls. THAT is what they really were bred for.

Now,,I know people who own PITMIXES and I don't know what a MIX IS LIKE.I have had a female Doberman pincer, a roommate owned her, and she did guard our place well.Also,walking with her in a bad neighborhood you were really safer. BUT HER PERSONALITY WITH US, WAS SWEET AND NICE.YES, DOBERMANS can be nice dogs to their owner and not have a violent personality. IT depends on how they are raised. :)
This is the best website!
doreet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ichiban Kasuga » Tue May 04, 2021 8:39 pm

I don't think they should be outright banned, but there should be stricter laws surrounding the breed.

People need to remember these dogs descended from the Bull and terrier which was a dog used for bloodsports like bull baiting, bear baiting and of course, dog fighting. People should really keep this in mind.

In the right hands, of course these dogs can be sweet, loving and loyal family dogs, but we've sadly seen too many times what happens when they fall into the wrong hands.
Gospel | She/Her | I'm your local Bisexual Yakuza fan
Gimme ur FR currency for my pets!

Ichiban Kasuga

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby akoridi » Wed May 05, 2021 4:39 am

Jolyne.Cujoh wrote:I don't think they should be outright banned, but there should be stricter laws surrounding the breed.

People need to remember these dogs descended from the Bull and terrier which was a dog used for bloodsports like bull baiting, bear baiting and of course, dog fighting. People should really keep this in mind.

In the right hands, of course these dogs can be sweet, loving and loyal family dogs, but we've sadly seen too many times what happens when they fall into the wrong hands.

Agree!
akoridi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me