Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Luzien » Wed May 09, 2018 12:09 am

@ Wren
that is really nice, ariat has good things for horse and rider :)

@ Hime
nice to see you again here, good luck with Ty and the lake :)

@ riffmiohma
when you find a barn who does western, and who take in people who work for lessons, then go for it, try it out how it is for a week, and then set up a contract together with your parents and the owner to make it right.
there are some ideas where you can see what is alright in such a work for riding and what not, and how many h works and what work for a h riding and so on (not that you clean out the whole barn alone and clean the pastures and paddocks all week and get only a h riding and no lesson...)...just look online, i would do it, but im bad with time in the moment^^
but here should be some people who do this and can help you bether.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Huggles » Thu May 10, 2018 4:14 pm

riffmiohma wrote:Hi!
Was wondering if anyone could answer a question I have or if anyone is in a similar situation. So, there are not many barns doing western around me, but the ones that do ask outrageous lesson prices(or maybe they’re normal, but I can’t afford them). I’ve known some people who have asked to do barn chores in exchange for lessons which seems like a good idea, but I’m under sixteen and in my state anyone at that age needs a work permit to work. Would I need a work permit since I’m not exactly working for money? Also, does anyone have any tips for going about asking for this arrangement? Thanks in advance!

As far as I know, you dont need to be 16 to do this. I did this for a while with my friend when I was 11. Its a really good way to get more horsey time while also getting cheaper or free lessons! As far as going about to ask for it, just email or call them. Be straightforward. The worst thing they can say is no
Im quitting and ISO art! Link to refs and cs thread
Huggles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alouetta » Mon May 14, 2018 5:52 pm

not enough people understand that anything with horseback riding can be abuse if not done or used correctly. anything.

lead ropes. abuse if you make it. you can strangle a horse with it. bad example, im sorry.

spurs. abuse if you make it. you can scar them, jab them, hurt them, terrify them.
but you can also use them correctly.
you can lead a horse with the lead rope. dont strangle them, lead them properly.
you can use the spurs to tell the horse more clearly what youre asking for, to enhance cues, to give a reminder. you don't have to impale them. you dont have to cause them discomfort or pain, and you don't need to.

literally, anything can be abuse if not used correctly. bits *unless ridiculously huge, sharp, terrible in general, spurs, crops, whips. they can be used appropriately. they can be used inappropriately. it depends on how you use them, and just because you use them, doesn't mean youre automatically abusive.
alouetta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Mon May 14, 2018 7:23 pm

i will not say anything to this,... as it is just something that looks thrown in to start a fight again, we had to much of this in last times where people did write things like this in many animal forums to start fights,... im sorry but this looks to me atleast writen like this.. as if it is just thrown in out of the blue without a question or story or real knowledge of things.
(i could be wrong, but im not so, so long as there comes not some question from the writer or why it was writen i will not think differently)

--------------

to a question for all

What do yo do to keep your horse cool in summer :?: :D

like giving more places with shade for the horses on the pasture with planting trees or setting up a easy light shelter with sunblock shade cloth, putting ice in water places
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CowLord » Tue May 15, 2018 3:49 am

Marin wrote:not enough people understand that anything with horseback riding can be abuse if not done or used correctly. anything.

lead ropes. abuse if you make it. you can strangle a horse with it. bad example, im sorry.

spurs. abuse if you make it. you can scar them, jab them, hurt them, terrify them.
you can lead a horse with the lead rope. dont strangle them, lead them properly.
you can use the spurs to tell the horse more clearly what youre asking for, to enhance cues, to give a reminder. you don't have to impale them. you dont have to cause them discomfort or pain, and you don't need to.

literally, anything can be abuse if not used correctly. bits *unless ridiculously huge, sharp, terrible in general, spurs, crops, whips. they can be used appropriately. they can be used inappropriately. it depends on how you use them, and just because you use them, doesn't mean youre automatically abusive.

Sure, anything can be abuse. I don't think anybody in history ever denied that.

But in my opinion, you're far more likely to inflict pain with metal than, say, rope. You're also more likely to cause discomfort with a whip. I'm pretty certain discomfort, if not outright pain, is what makes these tools work the way they do. Horses are not magical beings and spurs don't work via telepathy. If you can't accept that, then maybe you shouldn't be using them if the reality of how they function upsets you to the point of defensiveness.

Opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one, and yours is not necessarily more valid than anybody else's. Some people don't like aversives or the idea of horsback riding at all. That's OK. Personally, as long as you aren't beating your horse, I couldn't care less what you do with it.
CowLord

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alouetta » Tue May 15, 2018 1:15 pm

DelinquentDiego wrote:
Marin wrote:not enough people understand that anything with horseback riding can be abuse if not done or used correctly. anything.

Sure, anything can be abuse. I don't think anybody in history ever denied that.

But in my opinion, you're far more likely to inflict pain with metal than, say, rope. You're also more likely to cause discomfort with a whip. I'm pretty certain discomfort, if not outright pain, is what makes these tools work the way they do. Horses are not magical beings and spurs don't work via telepathy. If you can't accept that, then maybe you shouldn't be using them if the reality of how they function upsets you to the point of defensiveness.

Opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one, and yours is not necessarily more valid than anybody else's. Some people don't like aversives or the idea of horsback riding at all. That's OK. Personally, as long as you aren't beating your horse, I couldn't care less what you do with it.

I was just trying to find an example. Sure, small spur nubs can be used as a dangerous weapon much more easily than a lead rope can, but you can still make everything dangerous and everything abuse. Bits, spurs, whips, things like that ARE the most common things that are misused, yes, but there are also anti-bit advocates that truly believe putting your horse in a bit in any instance is abusive. No matter the bit. And yes, any bit can be abusive if you yank on the mouth, jerk it around, cause bleeding and/or fatal damage.

But what I was also saying is that there are people who use it appropriately, and that just because some equestrians use it completely inappropriately doesn't mean it should put that image of harmful horsemanship on every other rider. You get what I mean? I was just randomly saying that because I was frustrated of this common misconception.

I'm saying anything, anything at all can be misused. Anything can be abuse if not used properly.
When used correctly, it can be a great tool for a lot of horses and riders.
This isn't directly applying to you, or anyone on this forum, I was just saying that so many people are anti-bit when they completely use someone's misuse of a bit, or a ridiculous gag, or anything like that, and turn that into "oh, that's what you'd expect from all people who ride in bits." It really makes people turn against people who are doing it humanely. I really don't know how else to say that, I'm at a loss for words for some reason.
Take Marilyn Little, right? She constantly has her horse's mouths bloodied. And yes, she does use terrifying bits and contraptions on a lot of her horse's mouths. She's really, really well known. She puts a terrible rep on bit users, even ones who use simple bits with quiet hands. I HIGHLY recommend you go check out Shelby Dennis's recent video on Marilyn Little and the mouth blood shenanigans, I think she explains it much better than I ever could.
You can literally do anything on horseback incorrectly, resulting in the horse being injured. I'm really struggling to correlate these two subjects in words, I apologize.
Okay, I'm done trying to explain that. I really can't speak today. But in relation to another point you made:
Spurs don't require discomfort to do their job. When used humanely, they're a firmer way to give direction, clearing up confusion of cues between the horse and rider. A good re-directional tool that will come across with less confusion as it is more direct.
Obviously I 100% do not support spurs with blades on them, ridiculously sharp or long spurs, or anything of the sorts. I believe that if they are small nubs that aren't constantly being jabbed with all the rider's leg strength into their sides, and just a small squeeze, they are a decent way of delivering cues to a non-confident horse.
alouetta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CowLord » Tue May 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Oh, I get what you're saying now. Sorry, a bit of a misunderstanding (coupled with a sour mood at the time) on my part. I didn't mean to be rude, and I pretty much agree with what you're saying tenfold now that I actually realize what you meant in the first place, aha.
CowLord

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby alouetta » Tue May 15, 2018 2:53 pm

DelinquentDiego wrote:Oh, I get what you're saying now. Sorry, a bit of a misunderstanding (coupled with a sour mood at the time) on my part. I didn't mean to be rude, and I pretty much agree with what you're saying tenfold now that I actually realize what you meant in the first place, aha.

Ah it's okay, I'm sorry for the confusion. Maybe I'm having a stroke, or just a big brain fart. I feel like I can't explain things today aha
alouetta

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Huggles » Sat May 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Editing this to avoid spam :)

So I'm planning on getting a horse this year, hopefully before summer ends. Ive spent the last 6 years learning how to ride and work horses, and the last year actually leasing. My dad originally agreed, but I insisted on paying for tack, actual price of the horse and shipping, plus as many vet/feet/teeth bills as possible. But that of course is nothing compared to yearly board, which is at least $300 a month here and im almost 16, I feel bad having my parents pay that. So basically I was thinking I should just get a job. The problem is I have terrible social anxiety, so I was thinking why not just get a job at another barn? I could get more than enough money to keep a horse, and have some left over for extra and emergency, while also learning more being in a new barn, you always learn something new with these animals!
By sharing this Im basically asking for opinions, advice on how to go about asking people. I'd also wonder if anyone has experience with something like this? Like what type of barns should I reach out to?
I know how to clean stalls, tack, groom, tack up, feed, lunge etc, ive worked with difficult horses, probably other stuff that I just havent thought of.
Thank you for any help!
Last edited by Huggles on Sun May 20, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im quitting and ISO art! Link to refs and cs thread
Huggles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Muffin_Wolf » Sat May 19, 2018 5:53 pm

That feeling of sudden depression when your horse rolls in the sand right after you wash his mane/condition his tail/hose sweat off.

*sharp inhale*

The wondrous JOYS of bathing your horse. Gotta love my Lark though, however dirty he gets...
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Muffin_Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me