The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby gamorasass » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:31 am

.Middy. wrote:I currently don’t have any pics of my set ups lol. I can get some when I get back from vacation though. I’ve got to get cages cleaned and everything prepped for my leaving, so won’t have time for photos until I return.

I would love to see them when you get the chance! I'm always curious and I binge watch Pet Youtuber videos xD

On another note. I'm trying to rehome two male rats. They were my girlfriend's, whom broke up with me and basically forced her two rats on me because she said she would rehome them to a random stranger since she didn't want them. Long story short, I have 5 rats now. I love them and feel guilty about rehoming them, but they remind me of her and it's not a warm and pleasant feeling. I don't want the situation to lessen my affection for them, so a new home is best. But it's so hard to find someone!!

Any advice? This would be a lot easier if they were puppies -_-

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hocaro Kitsune » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:44 am

Fun fact- I posted on this exact thread when I first joined, and that was almost 5 years ago! :lol:

As of now the only rodent I own right now is a gerbil. What happened is an extremely long story, but basically stuff happened and me and my dad had to leave the house. While we were gone a relative had hired a construction company to take everything out of the house, including the animals. (We believe they were planning on demolishing the house) when I came home the gerbil cage was outside, left opened. There was only 1 gerbil inside and she looked terrified. I brought her inside and she lives alone. I need to get her a friend soon. So basically these people took my all my pets except the gerbils and apparently my rabbit. The reptiles and birds got new homes but the gerbils and rabbit were released :(
Hocaro Kitsune

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:15 am

I was in a pet shop yesterday called petstop and I rushed staight over to the small animals section
Boy was I dissapointed.

They did have a Syrian and a couple of dwarfs but they were all in their hides sleeping!
I saw a 12 inch wheel (for sale) though which enlightened me a bit
They also had gerbils which are soO adorable

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jade, » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:04 pm

My hamster escaped. We had this church group on Saturday and a little kid opened the door to my hamster's cage, and *surprise surprise*, didn't close it. And the thing is, I only JUST got the hamster on Sunday last week. I named her Nutmeg, and I miss her already. Now it is Monday, and I don't even know if she is still alive. I put out strawberries since we did not have cucumbers, which we usually put out if my hamsters went missing.

I tried a bunch of heat detecting and motion detecting apps, but they were all just trash apps for entertainment. I treat this as a really serious matter, and if any of you like to use those heat detecting and motion detecting apps, please, please, please tell me if there is one that actually works.

Also looking for some tips. My old hamster who died recently, Cocoa, escaped tons of times, and the very first time, I was so panicked. When I got her back, I didn't think she would escape again, but she kept escaping. Later on, we found her in the fireplace(I have no idea how, don't ask), and we eventually blocked that up.

Anyway, if any of you fellow smoothians are rodent experts, please help me!
★ ★ ███████████████
𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 ────────

jay | she/her | sep. 2
hihi im jade/jay, im n
ot very active on this
site anymore but still
feel free to pm me <3

██
██
██
██

────── 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐒 𝐎𝐍
██
██
██
██
──────────
coding shop
art shop
coding cred

──────────
██
██
██
██

█████████
────────┐

───────
████
─────𝐁𝐔𝐓
jade,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 pm

j a d e. wrote:
    My hamster escaped. We had this church group on Saturday and a little kid opened the door to my hamster's cage, and *surprise surprise*, didn't close it. And the thing is, I only JUST got the hamster on Sunday last week. I named her Nutmeg, and I miss her already. Now it is Monday, and I don't even know if she is still alive. I put out strawberries since we did not have cucumbers, which we usually put out if my hamsters went missing.

I tried a bunch of heat detecting and motion detecting apps, but they were all just trash apps for entertainment. I treat this as a really serious matter, and if any of you like to use those heat detecting and motion detecting apps, please, please, please tell me if there is one that actually works.

Also looking for some tips. My old hamster who died recently, Cocoa, escaped tons of times, and the very first time, I was so panicked. When I got her back, I didn't think she would escape again, but she kept escaping. Later on, we found her in the fireplace(I have no idea how, don't ask), and we eventually blocked that up.

Have you put her cage down and left the door open? She might come back to her nest c:
    Apparently you can put down flour, too, to see her tracks. Have you had a proper search around? Do that but leave it until dusk, when she'll be becoming active.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jade, » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:07 am

Keriae wrote:
j a d e. wrote:

Have you put her cage down and left the door open? She might come back to her nest c:
    Apparently you can put down flour, too, to see her tracks. Have you had a proper search around? Do that but leave it until dusk, when she'll be becoming active.
yes, and I have put little boxes full of bedding, food and carrots to attract her. I am going to check if there is any sign of her
★ ★ ███████████████
𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 ────────

jay | she/her | sep. 2
hihi im jade/jay, im n
ot very active on this
site anymore but still
feel free to pm me <3

██
██
██
██

────── 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐒 𝐎𝐍
██
██
██
██
──────────
coding shop
art shop
coding cred

──────────
██
██
██
██

█████████
────────┐

───────
████
─────𝐁𝐔𝐓
jade,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:59 am

I'm so excited....!
I have a male and female hamster, and I've been thinking about breeding them for a while now. Loki is brown and white, slightly long hair, Maybelle is a natural colored bab.They're both about five months now, and I'm very excited to breed them. To start, I put a piece of their bedding in each others cage, I let them sniff it. I repeated this for about a week, then let them smell each other, my girl was in her ball, and my boy Loki was in a free run. Yesterday when I placed Loki's litter into Maybelle's cage, she got very excited. She usually just sniffed it, then took it into her den, but today she got very alert and started running around her cage, tail raised (a hamster sign that a female is in heat). When I put Maybelle's litter into Loki's cage, he also got very excited and squeaked at me (he's a very chatty boy). I was super busy yesterday, so I didn't put them together, but I'm going to try on Wednsday if Maybelle shows she's in heat. Does anybody have any tips on breeding? And how much time breeding should take?
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 pm

The Enchantress wrote:I'm so excited....!
I have a male and female hamster, and I've been thinking about breeding them for a while now. Loki is brown and white, slightly long hair, Maybelle is a natural colored bab.They're both about five months now, and I'm very excited to breed them. To start, I put a piece of their bedding in each others cage, I let them sniff it. I repeated this for about a week, then let them smell each other, my girl was in her ball, and my boy Loki was in a free run. Yesterday when I placed Loki's litter into Maybelle's cage, she got very excited. She usually just sniffed it, then took it into her den, but today she got very alert and started running around her cage, tail raised (a hamster sign that a female is in heat). When I put Maybelle's litter into Loki's cage, he also got very excited and squeaked at me (he's a very chatty boy). I was super busy yesterday, so I didn't put them together, but I'm going to try on Wednsday if Maybelle shows she's in heat. Does anybody have any tips on breeding? And how much time breeding should take?

Please do not breed your hamsters if you do not know their backgrounds or genetic health! Breeding is very expensive and you will need to separate the babies very soon - I think it's three weeks. There can be lots of complications and you may lose not just the litter, but Maybelle as well.
    Why are you breeding? What is your goal? Where have your hamsters come from? Do you have enough appropriate size cages? Do you have the money to pay for vet bills if there are complications? Can you afford to take back any babies/keep them if they do not sell? If your hamsters are from a pet shop, if you are breeding because you want to see cute babies or make money, please do not breed! It is irresponsible to be breeding when you have not done the research. By your questions, I'd say you've not done enough and you need to stop.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue May 01, 2018 3:26 am

My boys are going to make my hair fall out I swear.

Templeton had this nasty abscess on his back and Remington was lame, so I brought them both into the vet. Temp had groomed his abscess overnight before he went to the vet, so it was looking clean and was healing nicely when I brought him in. I got some antiseptic to clean it with to ensure it heals fully. As for Remington, the vet suspects a fracture in his foot, so she gave me pain medication to give him to see if it will heal on it's own. It's Metacam and he absolutely hates it xD My poor boy squeaks at me whenever I put the syringe in his mouth haha.

Question: Should I be giving Remington some form of probiotics once he is done his medication? I've heard that it's best to give your bunnies and guinea pigs probiotics after a run with medication, so should I do the same with my boys?

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby samm. » Sun May 06, 2018 4:09 am

Heyo! It's been a while since I last posted, and since then my rodent family has grown! On top of my three rats, Zeus, Zoey, and Zephere, I now am the proud owner of five mice! Ceili, which is pronounced as Kay-lee, Winston/Winny, Bruno, Sienna, and Raine are their names! I didn't get them all at once, I have some self control believe it or not lol. I got Ceili and Winny back in February, they're a pair of albinos and originally I was told they were both females, however upon closer inspection after getting them home I realized Winny was actually a male. Totally not the person who sold them to me's fault, I should've asked to get a closer look at them while I was there, rookie mistake. I got Bruno, Sienna, and Raine in April, Bruno wasn't a part of my plan, however one look at his little face and I couldn't resist. He's a light brown sort of brindle color, I call him my old man because the way he carries himself reminds me of a grumpy little old man. Sienna is a very pretty medium orange color, and Raine is a very, very light silver color. Don't tell the others, but Sienna is honestly my favorite out of the five. She is incredibly sweet, and isn't afraid of people in the least bit, even strangers! Her cage mate Raine on the other hand is terrified of her own shadow, although she has improved slightly since I got her. I should have pictures of them up sometime later today, my camera is currently charging and I might probably will end up falling asleep before its ready to use ^^;

edit: Woo, managed to get four out of five so far! Top two is Winny and Bruno, then below them is Sienna and Raine!
Image Image
Image Image
samm.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me