Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby satuurnity » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 am

Hey! So I was planning on setting up a tropical community in my thirty gallon, but now I’ve gotten permission to get a hamster I’ll be converting it to a hamster cage c: however, I still have my ten gallon tank, and I’m struggling to decide on stocking. I’ve had a school of tetra before so I don’t really want to do that again, and I’m thinking about getting a beta fish. I’ve also been considering three sparkling gourami and a lot of sites say that would be an okay stocking, but I’m wondering if I’d need more of them for them to be happy (if they wouldn’t be I’ll stick with the beta).
Thank you!
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trphlthdl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Floofems<3 wrote:Hey! So I was planning on setting up a tropical community in my thirty gallon, but now I’ve gotten permission to get a hamster I’ll be converting it to a hamster cage c: however, I still have my ten gallon tank, and I’m struggling to decide on stocking. I’ve had a school of tetra before so I don’t really want to do that again, and I’m thinking about getting a beta fish. I’ve also been considering three sparkling gourami and a lot of sites say that would be an okay stocking, but I’m wondering if I’d need more of them for them to be happy (if they wouldn’t be I’ll stick with the beta).
Thank you!

While sparkling gourami don't normally show aggression, it best to keep them in tanks where they have enough room to get away and hide should they need to, and I'm not really sure if a ten gallon would be enough for three of them, even if they are tiny, tiny fish. Not to mention they need a soft pH, around 6.5 I believe.

While Betta Splendens thrives in a pH of around 6.5 as well, they're much more tolerant of change or the wrong pH, and one betta would absolutely love having a ten gallon to themselves. You could even throw in a little nerite snail, they don't breed in freshwater, if you feel like your betta wouldn't bother them. It just depends on the betta. Just... be warned nerites are absolute pooping machines. (and have algae tabs just in case there's not enough leftover food/algae in there for them to eat)
x
xxxxxxx
🌿🌿🌿
trp | they/them | avatar
feel free to pm or send a trade at any time, although i'm not typically super active
i'm most interested in c$, mushroom or flower themed pets & items, as well as trading
for recreated pets! I've also recently started dnd, and am usually looking for art.
🌿🌿🌿
Trphlthdl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cetacea » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:29 am

Hi I was wondering, does anyone have any idea how big this tank I found might be? I'm thinking it's around 1.5 and I'm planning on keeping some snail or shrimp, but can anyone confirm?
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:36 am

darrow wrote:
Hi I was wondering, does anyone have any idea how big this tank I found might be? I'm thinking it's around 1.5 and I'm planning on keeping some snail or shrimp, but can anyone confirm?

Looks like a 2.5 to me, do you have dimensions on it?
╔════════════════════════════════╗
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
Entomology Minor (bugs are life)
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cetacea » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:08 am

MapleNeko wrote:
darrow wrote:[center]Hi I was wondering, does anyone have any idea how big this tank I found might be? I'm thinking it's around 1.5 and I'm planning on keeping some snail or shrimp, but can anyone confirm?

Looks like a 2.5 to me, do you have dimensions on it?

I quickly measured it and it's around 6(width)x 12(base)x 8(height) in inches
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:23 am

Yup that's exactly 2.5 gallons
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.

MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cetacea » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:27 am

MapleNeko wrote:Yup that's exactly 2.5 gallons

aw nice thanks so much!
Cetacea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Valac » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi everyone! So I own a forty gallon tank and am soon going to be filling it with zebrafish! Since the zebrafish are more likely than not going to be temporary I don't know much about them. Does anyone by chance know how many zebrafish I can put in a forty gallon tank, what would be a good food for them and, how often should they be fed? Since i'm going to have them for a month or possibly longer I want to ensure they will be comfortable. I don't want them to be over crowded or fed too often/too little. Thanks to anyone that helps! <3

Returning player. Not sure whats going on anymore
Valac

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:51 pm

LizardsAreLovely wrote:Hi everyone! So I own a forty gallon tank and am soon going to be filling it with zebrafish! Since the zebrafish are more likely than not going to be temporary I don't know much about them. Does anyone by chance know how many zebrafish I can put in a forty gallon tank, what would be a good food for them and, how often should they be fed? Since i'm going to have them for a month or possibly longer I want to ensure they will be comfortable. I don't want them to be over crowded or fed too often/too little. Thanks to anyone that helps! <3

Well if you plan on doing a species only tank with only zebra danios (I'm assuming that's what we're talking about) acordinnto aquaadvisor you could comfortably fit 30-40 of them in there. Most flake foods should be ok for them, try to find a slightly better quality one, and I typically feed my tropicals 1-2 times a day.
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Valac » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:06 pm

MapleNeko wrote:
LizardsAreLovely wrote:Hi everyone! So I own a forty gallon tank and am soon going to be filling it with zebrafish! Since the zebrafish are more likely than not going to be temporary I don't know much about them. Does anyone by chance know how many zebrafish I can put in a forty gallon tank, what would be a good food for them and, how often should they be fed? Since i'm going to have them for a month or possibly longer I want to ensure they will be comfortable. I don't want them to be over crowded or fed too often/too little. Thanks to anyone that helps! <3

Well if you plan on doing a species only tank with only zebra danios (I'm assuming that's what we're talking about) acordinnto aquaadvisor you could comfortably fit 30-40 of them in there. Most flake foods should be ok for them, try to find a slightly better quality one, and I typically feed my tropicals 1-2 times a day.

Thanks so much! You have helped me a ton!

Returning player. Not sure whats going on anymore
Valac

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me