Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby LizzytheWolf » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:46 pm

fluffycat6 wrote:@bloodredsheep Zoey is so beautiful!!

I have a question, does it matter if a collar has a metal buckle or a plastic buckle? Is one better than the other?

All of our dogs have the ones where you put the strap through like Imzadi83 said.
The one I love the most is a custom I bought for my dog Justin from Kasezki on Deviantart. He makes stunning art and collars and made my profile pic for free as a welcome gift to CS. His collars are extremely durable, beautiful and very well made. I got Justin's for $20, affordable and long lasting.
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Do you have a link to his page LizzytheWolf?
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LizzytheWolf » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:55 pm

.Middy. wrote:Do you have a link to his page LizzytheWolf?

Here he is! :) I hope that works, it works for me.
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:57 pm

While on our camping trip, Zeus was on his tie out and another dog walked by, Exited Zeus tugged on the leash and his collar came off totally. It was the belt style one My parents went out and bought him the same exact one, And guess what? it broke too..
The'll never learn cause they just bought another one.

iI usually have deacon on a plasitc snap collar, havent had any problems with it besides the fact that I'm not the smartest and When i took his collar off so he could be crated I put the collar ontop of his cage and he ate the buckle Lol.

I do prefer the looks of the Metal buckle though.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:32 pm

Harlow. wrote:While on our camping trip, Zeus was on his tie out and another dog walked by, Exited Zeus tugged on the leash and his collar came off totally. It was the belt style one My parents went out and bought him the same exact one, And guess what? it broke too..
The'll never learn cause they just bought another one.

iI usually have deacon on a plasitc snap collar, havent had any problems with it besides the fact that I'm not the smartest and When i took his collar off so he could be crated I put the collar ontop of his cage and he ate the buckle Lol.

I do prefer the looks of the Metal buckle though.

Dogs shouldn't be tied out with the line attached to their collars, espically one who pulls, it can really damage his neck even if it doesn't seem to bother him now it could cause problems down the road. https://dogmantics.com/is-it-harmful-to-attach-a-leash-to-your-dogs-neck-2/ I highly recommend a harness (back clip style).
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:06 am

He isn't my dog, I'm not buying a harness for him. Was just trying to tell a story, If my parents want to buy their dog a harness that their decision. My dog is always tied out in a Harness. But I have 0 control over my parent's dog.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:26 am

Imzadi83 wrote:Honestly unless you're home all day a puppy/young herding breeds (like a collie) may be too much for your current situation. Do you have a lot of time/ability to exercise, because it will need it especially if you're in an apartment. Though an adult might be an option though. I recommend talking to some Collie rescues and fostering if you can to give you an idea of if it's possible. It's good you're looking into the club meetups.

Define good in winter? Dogs that do better in winter are going to be more difficult in the grooming department and if you have long/hot summers where you are might not be a good choice if you're wanting to do a lot of high energy sports. That doesn't mean it can't work but it's something to take into consideration. Also most dogs can do okay in winter if they're in the house most of the time and protected (coat, boots, etc.) when they're out.

Personally I would look into sight hounds (Greyhounds, Whippits, Gaglos, Saluki, etc.. They come in various sizes and seem to fit the bill with what you are looking for. Some scent hounds might be a good fit too.

yeah puppy energy is one of the biggest points of hesitation i've had with getting a new dog, i've heard collies tend to be a little less intense than other herders but meeting some should give me a better idea, if not i'll ask around for rescues to find an older dog who may fit better
      also before i get my puppy i'll be living in a house with a yard and three other people, at least one of whom will be home at any given time, so keeping up when i'm working won't be a giant issue, again the real issue is finding all the energy to keep up with a puppy (i just plan on moving out on my own at some point with the dog)

i just want something who can go out in the snow, weather they need extra gear or not. my chi can't handle anything under 50 so that's my litmus right now. i'm not huge about being in the snow so i'm not looking for like a northern breed, just something that can handle it a little better.

i love sighthounds, they're just larger than i was looking at by and large, and hard to come by here (so i would likely need to drive halfway across the country for one), and i've heard from a zoi breeder that most sighthound puppies need big yards to grow right (and the larger ones mature much slower so i likely won't have a yard before they mature) so again i'd have to find an older dog.
      i was also looking into coonhounds (black and tan specifically) i've just heard so much conflicting info on if they're high energy or not :\ i also live in an area that mainly uses hounds for hunting so i'd be looking at another long search to find a conformation breeder, they also tend to run a little more stubborn than i'd like but that just be a case of finding the right dog.

thank you for the info though, i'll look into a few more options and see if i can't find more resources for some of the dogs you suggested
Image{ mars ` he ` toyhou.se }
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:48 am

Luzien wrote:
.Middy. wrote:
Naeco wrote:-

Any other brands? I've looked at those and they are way out of my price range.

Chewy has them for $170 right now if that helps? Don’t cheap out on a e collar. If you have to, wait and save to get a good quality one.

Dogtra and sportsdog are the other two brands I see good reviews out of. No idea on pricing on then though. I don’t personally use a e collar, but I’m in some groups specifically for it and those are the three I see suggested often.

when you cant buy a good one then dont buy one!!!
why do you even need this when i may ask :?: do you work together with a good trainer , train a hunting dog for long range control :?:

e-collar are like spurs ...not for everyone, not for beginner in training or dog owning, not for those who never did learn how to use them the right way, and never for every dog....no without good health check bevor,....and try it the hell out on your own neck bevor using on any dog!!! :!:

@ to the pitbull talk
your parents are right, this dogs are not for everyone!!
and please dont fall for the: they All are always nice and cute and best baby toy or playfriend ever, .....or they are only animal aggressive....this is not accepted trait and should be pushed down hard and ended asap.......some are cute and gentle good family dog and well breed from only calm animal-human friendly dogs, and trained ...but dont be so to sure about this with still sadly a lot of them....and never as beginner dog and without a strong good trainer who helps you in the training.

I do have the money to buy one but my parents are not letting me spend more than $35 on one.

And why are you coming off so aggressive and upset-like? I have said more than once that I know how to use an e collar, have done a ton of research on them relating to pros and cons etc, and will be using it on myself first to understand it. I do this with any tool from prongs to flats. I am also using it to strengthen a recall. Skai does great with recalls until she is off lead and only comes when she wants to. She realizes she doesn't have to listen or come. She also does great with correction work such as prongs and martingales.

I get not knowing the intentions of the person asking the question and asking questions but sounding rude/upset/aggressive? No thank you. I have been told more than once to put this dog down due to her food aggression yet I am still working with her. I am giving her a way better life than what most would. Will I be using this for food aggression? No. I will use it for recalls and off lead work only.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flossie » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:44 am

Saw this awesome question on the Tricks & Training Facebook page, so thought I’d post it here. Will be interesting to see what answers we get. (Credit to the lady who posted the question of course!) feel free to breach out into dogs you have experience with, don’t have to have owned them.
no starting arguments over people not liking your preferred breed. You can ask why if they don’t say so, but remember, it’s just their opinion.
Code: Select all
What is a “never again breed” for you?
A breed you may have struggled with and have decided will never fit your lifestyle kind of thing.

———
Never owned them, but I’d never get a border collie. They’re one of the most popular breeds here, and I just, personally, find them so plain. They all kinda seem the same to me, never met one with a ‘unique’ personality, if you get what I mean? Same with Golden Retrievers and Labradors, there just doesn’t seem to be much variation within the breed themselves, well the large amount I’ve encountered, anyway.
Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:41 am

What is a “never again breed” for you?
A breed you may have struggled with and have decided will never fit your lifestyle kind of thing.

American Pit Bull terrier, I Struggled a lot with Mine and training. She got all the socialization possible but still wanted to kill everything. Not only that but she didn't pick up any training and never listened. And I'm not the person who
did a 5 min training session on their dog and then gave up. I put hours into that dog.

And they are such a high maintenance dog in general, I don't have time for extra socialization
I need a dog who is friendly. Oop I do love pitties though aaaa!

I'll also never own a boxer, For No reason other than I just don't like them oop.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me