Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby ru. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:41 am

eleutheromania wrote:
ru. wrote: On a lighter note...😅

Did anyone else watch the AKC National Championship show last night?

I must say I am generally impressed with where some of the U.S. judges are taking a few of the breeds!
For instance, the Longhaired Dachshund, German Shepherd,
and even the Bulldog all looked so much better to me than the breed equivalents in some of the European shows I've seen recently.

The Longhaired Dachshund was insanely impressive! Much longer legs than any top show Dachshund I've ever seen! I was taken aback almost (in a good way!) And the dog scored in the top 3 for the entire group!
The German Shepherd was also beautiful! Barely a slow at all with a strong gait and great hips and legs. It was an awesome breed example and scored in the top 3 for the herding group!

These are steps in the right direction and I'm excited to see if these changes start appearing breed-wide.

If longer legs can work in a Longhaired Dachshund than maybe it will help to influence the shorthair and wirehair as well! (:
I am already confident in the showline German Shepherd in the U.S.A. being well on its way to nation-wide change.

The standards are the same in all coats. the only difference in judging is through the coats. longer legs are actually hard to come by, said dachshund could have been an import. most US breeders do not breed for longer legs. are you speaking of the standard or miniature? standards tend to have long legs than miniatures. also the minis have higher chances of IVDD due to the smaller size and longer over exaggerate backs being completely straight or sloped downward. most of the dachshunds i’ve seen bred in the us have short legs. the imports from other than england have the longer legs mostly.

i didn’t watch but i’d love to see pictures of the doxie.

i’m actually glad my boy doesn’t have the overexaggered back. his back isn’t bone straight but no extremely curved either. only bad thing is he has a broken coat, that happens when breeding a long x short. but it’s still pretty and easy to maintain. if you don’t know what a broken coat is here is a pic of loki.

You have a good looking little dude on your hands!
(: Even if his coat is technically a fault, I actually love the appearance of it personally!

I know that the standards are the same for all three breed varieties (like with the Cocker Spaniel as well) and I guess by "European" I was really generalizing based on the U.K. shows I've seen wherein the pups seemed to for the most part be too exaggerated in most breeds.

But I did mention the judges right off the bat because the breeders can breed whatever they interpret the standard to be, but at the end of the day it is up to the judges to determine what they see to be the best representative of each breed. The more judges are exposed to changes, the more they are likely to change their perceptions. And if we can see breed improvements winning high scores with judges in big shows, it is more likely that other judges will be influenced to change their ideas of breeds as well. All great things!

The Longhaired Dachshund I was talking about was a Standard not a Miniature, and the difference may have seemed more to me since in my daily life I usually see Miniatures much more frequently. However the shorthair and wirehair equivalents did not really compare to the longhair in leg length nor overall size. He/she was a big and tall pup! And a beautiful dog!

I did a bunch of googling just now and could not find the doxie I'm talking about! But I'll see if I can just grab a photo of it off my DVR recording of the show. (:
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:29 am

ru. wrote: On a lighter note...😅

Did anyone else watch the AKC National Championship show last night?

I must say I am generally impressed with where some of the U.S. judges are taking a few of the breeds!
For instance, the Longhaired Dachshund, German Shepherd,
and even the Bulldog all looked so much better to me than the breed equivalents in some of the European shows I've seen recently.

The Longhaired Dachshund was insanely impressive! Much longer legs than any top show Dachshund I've ever seen! I was taken aback almost (in a good way!) And the dog scored in the top 3 for the entire group!
The German Shepherd was also beautiful! Barely a *slope at all with a strong gait and great hips and legs. It was an awesome breed example and scored in the top 3 for the herding group!

These are steps in the right direction and I'm excited to see if these changes start appearing breed-wide.

If longer legs can work in a Longhaired Dachshund than maybe it will help to influence the shorthair and wirehair as well! (:
I am already confident in the showline German Shepherd in the U.S.A. being well on its way to nation-wide change.

(*EDIT for typo)

I watched it, but was in a lot of pain with a migraine so didn't watch that closely. I did notice the GSD though and was glad to see the back slope wasn't as exaggerated as I expected.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:12 pm

My best friend finally joined IG with her beagle, so I had to dig through to find a photo of them together from August 2016 when I went to visit them! I can’t believe how fluffy Kes was! She looks so grown up now from this photo, it’s amazing!

Also please check out @A_Precious_Beagle if y’all have IG
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Taiger Lilly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:07 pm

this is my life now

(yes,she is standing)
Taiger Lilly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ligning » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:28 pm

Taiger Lilly wrote:
this is my life now

(yes,she is standing)

She looks like she's recobsidering her life choices

Quik wuestion just to reassure myself, it's normal for a 9 week old labrador pup to pack 1 kilo a week?
It is clear that I must find my other half. But is it a he or a she? What does this person look like? Identical to me? Or somehow complementary? Does my other half have what I don't? Did he get the looks? The luck? The love? Were we really separated forceably or did he just run off with the good stuff? Or did I? Will this person embarrass me? Can two people actually become one again?

ligning

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:03 am

ligning wrote:
Taiger Lilly wrote:(yes,she is standing)

Quik wuestion just to reassure myself, it's normal for a 9 week old labrador pup to pack 1 kilo a week?

what is the dogs weight right now...to how big he is?
do you monitor your puppy's growth and weight week-by-week or even day by day ? and made a weight and growth chart?

a pup should gain between ten to 15 percent of its birth weight every day. By eight to ten days old, the puppy should double its weight. Depending on the size and breed, new owners can expect a growth spurt in the following time spans:
•For small breeds, between birth and 11 weeks old
•For medium breeds, between birth and 16 weeks old
•For large breeds, between birth and four to five months old

During this time, the puppy should gain a significant amount of weight - generally five ounces per week for a small breed dog and 2.5 pounds for a large breed. The weight increase may vary slightly from week to week. If a puppy fails to gain weight, you should visit your vet for an assessment. Worms, intestinal upsets and poor nutrition may keep your little one from growing

You can make your own chart with graph paper or on a computer spreadsheet. Record the puppy's weight at birth, if available. Each time a new weight is taken, record the date and the amount. You'll be able to see at a glance if your little one is gaining, losing or staying the same.

Monitoring a puppy's weight is an important diagnostic tool for the breeder or an owner. Keep good records and you will be able to see a problem before it becomes life-threatening

(this right now was only the most easy basic...it all depends on the breed (eve between the breed..like when they have the normal line or working breed line), the parent, siblings, the feeding,.......and so on)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PerpetualMints » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:46 am

Hi, I'm new to Chickensmoothie, but not to dogs and I have a question for everyone here, if that's alright. I don't have a dog at this very moment and I won't be getting one for a few years, but all the same I thought I'd join the thread and help others and learn some new things myself in preparation for my future puppy. So, back to the question..

What's wrong with the breeding of designer dogs/mutts?

I do agree that the majority of designer mutt breeders are BYBs, but I can't agree that all of them are, especially if the only basis for this generalization is that they breed mutts, or don't title or show their dogs. Some designer dog breeders, if you look hard enough, DO actually health test their animals, too. I just don't understand why the dog community believes that to be a reputable breeder, you have to breed show quality or working purebreds.

Sure, some purebreds serve a purpose. Most of them don't nowadays. A labradoodle is just as capable of being a companion, which is what most people want, as a pug or GSD. They aren't automatically poorly bred just because they are mutts imo. Is there something I'm missing?

Take the breeder I'll be getting my puppy from, for example. Their dogs are registered with the Continental Kennel Club (CKC), none of their dogs are show quality, they don't health test and they breed exclusively for the pet market. Sounds horrible, right? They must be FILLING shelters with unwanted dogs, yeah? Not so. This breeder also makes you sign a contract. You must get your dog neutered by six months of age, you must keep up with all vaccinations and veterinary care once they are under your roof, and you are under no circumstances to ever surrender your dog to an animal shelter. Either you return the dog to the breeder, or the breeder will help you to find an approved home. They offer a health guarantee, too, and have many healthy litters under their belt. There's more to the contract than that, but I'm just trying to show that the issue at hand isn't black and white; not all pet breeders are horrid, scum-of-the-earth people.
PerpetualMints

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rose.bloom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 am

Taiger Lilly wrote:
this is my life now

(yes,she is standing)

What a beautiful pupper! What breed???
rose.bloom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ligning » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:19 am

Luzien wrote:
ligning wrote:
Taiger Lilly wrote:(yes,she is standing)

what is the dogs weight right now...to how big he is?
do you monitor your puppy's growth and weight week-by-week or even day by day ? and made a weight and growth chart?

a pup should gain between ten to 15 percent of its birth weight every day. By eight to ten days old, the puppy should double its weight. Depending on the size and breed, new owners can expect a growth spurt in the following time spans:
•For small breeds, between birth and 11 weeks old
•For medium breeds, between birth and 16 weeks old
•For large breeds, between birth and four to five months old

During this time, the puppy should gain a significant amount of weight - generally five ounces per week for a small breed dog and 2.5 pounds for a large breed. The weight increase may vary slightly from week to week. If a puppy fails to gain weight, you should visit your vet for an assessment. Worms, intestinal upsets and poor nutrition may keep your little one from growing

You can make your own chart with graph paper or on a computer spreadsheet. Record the puppy's weight at birth, if available. Each time a new weight is taken, record the date and the amount. You'll be able to see at a glance if your little one is gaining, losing or staying the same.

Monitoring a puppy's weight is an important diagnostic tool for the breeder or an owner. Keep good records and you will be able to see a problem before it becomes life-threatening

(this right now was only the most easy basic...it all depends on the breed (eve between the breed..like when they have the normal line or working breed line), the parent, siblings, the feeding,.......and so on)

Thank you Luzien!
He is a labrador puppy and he is 6,3 kilo as of now which is uses some shady conversion egine 222 ounches? We've had him for a week now and me and my parents agree that he is a bit chubby but I'm noticing he's working that off ^.^
It is clear that I must find my other half. But is it a he or a she? What does this person look like? Identical to me? Or somehow complementary? Does my other half have what I don't? Did he get the looks? The luck? The love? Were we really separated forceably or did he just run off with the good stuff? Or did I? Will this person embarrass me? Can two people actually become one again?

ligning

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 am

i can not stand designer breeds. there is no true standard for the breed and it is mainly for marketing. they weren’t bred for a purpose they were bred for a fad. they are mutts due to the fact that they aren’t bred for a purpose and there is no real standard.

anyone can register their dog with CKC and contracts don’t do anything unless the breeder takes it to civil court. also neutering and spaying any large breed that early can harm their growth. that being said CKC is not really a reputable registry. they also cannot sell without breeding rights unless not giving papers but then you could register the dog anyway. along with the contracts, a dog is considered property and thus once money exchanges hands, there is really nothing a breeder can do unless they spend more money taking you to civil court. has happened to plenty of dachshund breeders in the group i’m in. you have that one person that breeds a dog that shouldn’t be bred.

a breeder should meet the standard of the breed for show or working quality, not because they are cute. that’s how i see it. health testing is to help prevent any genetic diseases a dog could have and it is beneficial. why not try and prevent genetic isssues if you can seeing as you’re responsible when you breed two dogs have a puppy comes out with genetic issues you could have prevented. health testing is slowly making its way towards more breeders.

you have to be breeding show/pet/ working quality dogs to be a reputable breeder, otherwise you aren’t bettering the breeds at all.

what does a labrodoodle have as a purpose?
a pomsky?
that’s my two sense, i’m not being harsh either. it’s actually a fun topic to discus and it’s been brought up a few times. welcome to the site!
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me